Camper Shells: your experiences and suggestions

RU55ELL

Explorer
I have a Snugtop on mine and like it since I can keep stuff locked in the back and not worry about it walking off. The only complaint I have is the smell inside. I open the window on nice days to try to air it out, but it still smells really stagnant inside. Do any of you deal with this?

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
Huh...was it flood damaged or something?

Even though I have a hard time smelling concentrations of the stuff, try several applications of Febreze. They also make a heavy duty version for sports equipment, that might help you out too.

I just pulled the trigger myself in preparation for an upcoming road trip. Got a shell for the F350, was looking and not finding a Callen, or much of anything else. Finally found an A.R.E. cab height, with tool box on driver side, two driver side doors, single passenger side door with two windows, and rear hatch with window, and full heavy duty rack on top. Front bulkhead has a solid window. Not bad condition, not thrilled about the price, paid $900, but I'm in a time crunch so I'm semi-screwed. Once I get back from Arkansas I'll probably start looking again for a Callen or a tall A.R.E. or Caravan, but I'm finding that the long bed superduty models are not common.......

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
Mark

I have been happy with my ARE. I have made serious alterations to it - I built in 4 dog boxes, added a Yakima track system, and some other stuff. The solid side thick top and $800 price made it a good choice for the F350 4X4 hunting truck.

Dog_Topper.JPG

I've had a cab-hi Snugtop on the MDR for about a dozen years now. It has side sliders (windoors not yet invented), a cab access slider, and the extra thick top. When it was new, the inside wreaked of the adhesive used for the carpet/liner, but frequent airings and blasts from the hose cured that fairly quickly. The liner will take washings and hold up OK. Try that for eliminating odors.

I am frequently intrigued by the features on the aluminum toppers...cargo boxes, lifting sides, doors in the rear, etc. But my perception (right/wrong) is that the fiberglass insulates better and is quieter.

Materials aside, I wouldn't trade the shell for a tent. Warmer, more secure, and aerodynamic. Racks on top add versatility...just be careful of COG. :sombrero:

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
My SnugTop had that adhesive smell for quite a while too. Now it is embedded with campfire smoke smell. :campfire:

Get out more often and that smell will go away.

strider3700

Adventurer
I'm wondering why we don't see more "tin" camper shells these days? I grew up riding in dads truck with I'm assuming a homebuilt canopy that had siding similar to what came on trailers. It was insulated, had windows and screens just like the trailer and paneling in the inside. We camped in it quite a few times and it was always comfy. When he got a "new" truck it came with a fiberglass canopy that was cold and your breath would condense and make everything damp when you slept in it.

Materials have changed over the years so there would be no need to go with that rippled tin look of old trailers but I don't see anyone building these things anymore. Why?

RU55ELL

Explorer
I'm wondering why we don't see more "tin" camper shells these days? I grew up riding in dads truck with I'm assuming a homebuilt canopy that had siding similar to what came on trailers. It was insulated, had windows and screens just like the trailer and paneling in the inside. We camped in it quite a few times and it was always comfy. When he got a "new" truck it came with a fiberglass canopy that was cold and your breath would condense and make everything damp when you slept in it.

Materials have changed over the years so there would be no need to go with that rippled tin look of old trailers but I don't see anyone building these things anymore. Why?

Probably because they are ugly. :p

Probably because they are ugly. :p

Hey watch it! My aluminum shell isn't ugly its, uh.... utilitarian. Haha, no they are kind of ugly especially on newer model trucks. I'm happy with mine but if I could have found a 'glass one for the same price I would have jumped on it in a minute. Most shell manufacturers still make them, people just seem to opt for the looks of 'glass, for good reason.

Fish

Adventurer

I believe you just described a Callen:

IMG_2547-3.jpg

FAW3

Adventurer
I'm wondering why we don't see more "tin" camper shells these days?

Like this? Ok, my old '95 Chevy is a bit worn, but hell, I got the cap off Craigslist about 10 years ago for $75.00 and as long as this truck runs...

Pros:
I can take it off/put on in about 15, by myself. I do this about 4 times a year to carry bulk loads...I think this is the main consideration for me. I use the truck for a lot of tasks...a single purpose/heavy cap does not meet my full range of use.
Carry canoes/kayaks/ladders/pipe sections with no problems.
Lets me carry gear with some degree of "out of sight" and security.
Windows, screens, ReflectX insulation and a small 12 vt. fan make it reasonably comfy, always dry...and there is no set up.

Cons:
Not a style setter, no win-doors, not much real security.
Not much room if set up for sleeping with 2 cots (using the Roll-a-Cot which fits over/around the wheel humps. Great for one cot - one person, which is often how I use it.

Anyway, Ugly? I passed worrying about that issue many miles ago. It works - that is what counts for this rig.

Attachments

• DSCN3613.JPG
    DSCN3613.JPG
    608.4 KB · Views: 142

strider3700

Adventurer
What I was describing was quite similar to that callen posted. Just no over the cab part.

As to the ugly thing - since when has form been more important then function on this board? There are quite a few amazing built vehicles on here that anyone not interested in serious expo travel would describe as horribly ugly. We all sit around drooling over them.

Sure something like that callen may look wierd on a truck with 20's and spinners if it's just used to haul around a few thousand pounds of stereo but that's not what we use our vehicles for.

Last edited:

Colby Jack

Traveler
Good Point!

:iagree:

This is without a doubt the strangest group of web surfers I've ever come across! Some of the inginuity and innovation that you guys come up with really blows my mind.:coffeedrink: Most people wouldn't get on a forum to discuss the pros and cons of multi burner campstoves, but on Expo you can find quite a few reviews and discussions on just that! I love it! Spread the KNOWLEDGE and EXPERIENCES!!!

Colby Jack

Fish

Adventurer
What I was describing was quite similar to that callen posted. Just no over the cab part.

Sure something like that callen may look wierd on a truck with 20's and spinners if it's just used to haul around a few thousand pounds of stereo but that's not what we use our vehicles for.

I believe there's a place in Reno that makes a more Conestoga looking shell. Yes, here it is Caravan Camper I apologize in advance for leading you a website with an annoying flash intro.

Also, imagine how big a woofer I could put in that Callen! :Wow1:

RU55ELL

Explorer
Anyway, Ugly? I passed worrying about that issue many miles ago. It works - that is what counts for this rig.

Well said. I bought mine with the camper, so I didn't have to worry about dropping coin on a 'glass one. If I were in the situation of needing to buy one, I would take whatever I could get. You can't beat the utility of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior