Camper Shells - brands, styles and mods

DesertBoater

Adventurer
I'll put my two cents in for Century as well. Mine is a base model, not lined on the inside, no windoors (wish I had gotten them) and they offer thule or yakima rails. I had a similar experience to Colby Jack, and have since switched to an industrial ladder rack. The biggest thing that I notice about the Century as opposed to the others, is that it is a skirted cap. There is a strip of fiberglass that hangs down over the bedsides on the outside to seal out moisture, and as such it is a very very dry topper. I have not had any issues with it leaking.

bat

Explorer
4xdog
It is the High C model just looks different in the website picture.The century brand has been for the most part a midwest company until Leer purchased it. I like the overlap on the rails and the side walls seem stronger.

Colby Jack

Traveler
Awesome pictures!

Wow, there are a ton of great photographers on this site, and a lot of good looking rigs! Though I like a few aspects of my ARE mx such as windoors with sliding, screened center window and carpeted headliner, One part that I just hate is the sloping top at the rear gate that lets rain and snow fall directly into my bed, which is the whole reason I have a topper!!! I know some people on here have made bungee corded awning type contraptions, but it's not something that interests me.

I'm not trying to sound like a grumpy old man ( it comes without effort), I just hate spending this type of money on a product, then seeing huge flaws in design. I realize that there are other styles of topper, and a little more research could have saved me some ulcers. I just thought that the OP would like to know one of the drawbacks that these aerodynamic toppers present.

Colby Jack

Hokie

Observer
I agree! There are tons of drool-worthy trucks on this page!

I appreciate all the feedback you guys gave and just wanted to give a quick update. I found the price of a new cap to be way more than I really wanted to spend, so I wound up buying an ARE V series off of Craigslist. It was off of a 2007 Dakota quad cab but it fits my '02 good enough for my needs. Pluses are the interior top is padded/carpeted and it has a dome light and the minuses are sliding side windows vs. windoors and no built in roof rack.

I still need to figure out a roof rack and I would still like to find a cap with windoors, but the planning and the search is half the fun, right?

bigwapitijohnny

Adventurer
SnugTOP SnugPRO is on...

Just put on my SnugTOP topper. It is excellent. I have had it on for about a week and a half, and I have no regrets. Great value compared to the offerings out there.

300126523_photobucket_5113_.jpg

300126523_photobucket_6012_.jpg

300126523_photobucket_5112_.jpg

300126523_photobucket_5915_.jpg

300126523_photobucket_5114_.jpg

300126523_photobucket_5914_.jpg

I had Yakima tracks put on at the factory, and I'm currently working with Sergio at Bajarack for a custom low profile rack...

I'll keep you posted.

Regards,

BWJ

Hokie

Observer
Colby - working on pics but a rainy week is hampering any pictures right now.

BWJ - that is one awesome looking cap! I really like the sides that open up for access to the front of the bed and I will end up going that route eventually.

I had to share this find. My dad just found one heck of a nice deal for his 2004 Ram 2500 - ARE with windoors and roof rack about 5 miles from his house for $100. Other than some faded paint, its pristine. The guy had it on his truck for about a year and its been sitting in his yard for the last 5 or 6 years and he just decided to move it. He wasn't even looking but liked the thought of one after my search and this one just fell in his lap. I was slightly jealous.

Next post will be with pics!

Doc Foster

Adventurer
ARE shell

Ordered a new ARE camper shell for my 2012 Tacoma last week. This will be my 3rd ARE cap thus far. Had them on my earlier F150's and loved them.

WildBill

Observer
I'd like to kick this to the top. I've been badly needing more storage with my little single cab. I've been thinking of either a bed cover of some type or a camper shell. I'm not big on the camper shell idea cause it would take some getting used to. But I'd just like to see more of each set up. I really wish I could find a way to used a tool box and bedcover together but I've been told it won't be entirely water proof :( so I'm searching for options

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
Any experiences with these "walk in" doors available on ARE MX series caps?

fiberglass_walk_in_door.jpg

Coverage when its raining looks like a plus, corresponding loss of tailgate a minus. What about the pros and cons when sleeping in the truck?

Espo78

Adventurer
I'd like to kick this to the top. I've been badly needing more storage with my little single cab. I've been thinking of either a bed cover of some type or a camper shell. I'm not big on the camper shell idea cause it would take some getting used to. But I'd just like to see more of each set up. I really wish I could find a way to used a tool box and bedcover together but I've been told it won't be entirely water proof :( so I'm searching for options

How about a Softopper?

http://www.softopper.com/Default.aspx

They are a topper when you need one, and remove in minutes when you don't.

They also offer a rack system to use with the softopper OR hard bed caps for those of you wanting a rack system to use with your cap.

http://www.softopper.com/Best_Truck_Cap_Rack-details.aspx

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles