Camper Shells - brands, styles and mods

Hokie

Observer
I've seen a lot of great camper shell builds on the site but couldn't find one that debates the different styles and brands.

I recently bought a Dodge Dakota quad cab and want to put a shell on it. I have had no luck with good (read:cheap) Craigslist finds because of the bed size, so I am looking at buying new and I am overwhelmed with the different manufacturers and styles.

I would like a cap with a roofline equal to the top of the truck with side windows that are hinged across the top so I can access all of the bed.

I would also like to add a roof rack but would prefer it to be removable when not in use if it is very tall (i.e. - no rolling wind blocker that would kill a few mpg's)

What manufacturers do you use and like and who do you avoid?
Any particular style you like? (i.e. - traditional lift gate vs barn doors)
Roof rack ideas? How much weight can you put on a rack mounted to the cap?
Other modifications?

This more about utility than camping but all thoughts and suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks!

Leviathan

Observer
I bought an ARE this spring. So far I am really happy with it. Slightly cheaper than a Leer and as good a reputation IMHO.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I've owned 3 shells made by Glasstite (A/K/A Raven.) Liked them all. I was also happy with my Leer but I don't like the all-glass rear window. While it looks slick, it is very expensive to replace if broken. The aluminum-frame flat glass of the Raven/Glasstite toppers is not as pretty but much more practical.

Barn doors? AFAIK the only ones offering that option are some of the commercial aluminum or steel toppers. Very expensive and not particularly well suited for recreational use.

If you're planning on using your truck to camp in, you can get a tent that wraps around the open tailgate and lift-gate and extends your usable area by about 2'. I had one on my Taco and it worked great.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I'd get a Snugtop fiberglass if I didn't have the Northstar. They offer a "contractor" upgrade with an additional layer of glass on the sides and top. Hinged side windows are available also. Thule or Yakima tracks enable you to remove the rack when not in use. A hinged swing down front window enables you to clean the truck's rear window and camper's. The Snugtop fiberglass uses the bottom "skirt" to help keep out rain.

If I really had my way,it would be a Caravan camper out of Reno.

A friend has a Gemtop steel shell which has been bombproof and uses the barn doors. He installed the gutter deals on the side of the camper above the windows and uses a removable rack.

Last edited:

Fresh

I have an A.R.E. CX model on my truck and love it. I got it with the Yaktrax, I think that's the name, on the top which you can see in the picture. I leave the roof rack off when its not being used. I also ordered it with the sliding windoors. I don't think I would ever buy a truck cap again without having these. It has made storing things in the bed much more accessible. I don't know the average weight of a camper shell, but this model is around 150 pounds. By far the best addition to my Tacoma.

Attachments

• photo-1.JPG
    photo-1.JPG
    991.8 KB · Views: 136
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 124
  • photo-2.JPG
    photo-2.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 112
I've had my SnugTop for over a dozen years; came with the heavy duty roof, slider windows, slider access to cab. With the exception of replacing the hydraulic rear window lifts, it has been without issues. I sleep like a baby inside it and can highly recommend the brand.

That being said...I may look at a Vision 100 with the raised roof. The one complaint I have about the SnugTop is the cab-hi height...I'd like more headroom, and so will you...eventually. Good luck with your search. :sombrero:

Hokie

Observer
Great info guys, I really appreciate it!

Fresh - yes, that's the side windows that I want and I really like the side window vents. I had not thought of that. Are the side windows lockable? I like the integrated roof rack too. How much weight will that hold?

I knew ARE made a good cap. Two recommendations for Snugtop. I had heard of them but didn't know anything about them. And a few new brands to research.

I know the raised roof designs are probably more useful, but I can't stand the look so I will probably stay with a cab height cap. And maybe kick myself later on down the road.

I really think I may make the truck bed more daily utility and use my M416 for recreation/camping needs. I need to measure them both out as they are close in size as it would be nice to have caps, racks, etc that I could interchange b/t the two. Probably not going to happen but you never know...

colodak

Adventurer
I have a fairly base model Astro, slider side windows and drop slider up front. The only thing I wish I would have done was the one-piece glass single lock rear window. I currently have a Yakima system on top, did it myself. Most toppers are rated 250/300 lbs max capacity. Was recently contemplating a RTT, but after talking to the topper dealer and manufacturer I've decided against it.

bigwapitijohnny

Adventurer
Snugtop Snugpro

Hokie,

I have looked at various shells available in my area. I have seen Leer, Raider, Astro/ATC, ARE, and Snugtop. I have chosen to go with the Snugtop line. Currently, I have a 2011 Tundra CrewMax (bed = 5.5 foot long). I need a place to store my tools / equipment, and I think that I have come up with a great solution. The model that I am going with is the Snugpro. It is a contractor grade shell that has a 500 lb. roof rack capacity, and the tool boxes on the sides can hold 100 lbs if needed. The side doors are fiberglass with a locking T handle. I recently put on tow mirrors, so the solid doors are not really an issue. I would encourage you to visit your Snugtop dealer and see the value for the price. THE PRICE IS HIGHER, however, I believe that it is worth it to me. I could not find any pics of this shell on a Tundra. The closest that I could find is one on a Taco...

IMGP4029.jpg

IMGP4055.jpg

IMGP4036.jpg

The lines of the shell are similar to that of the 'Cab-Hi' model. Here is a pic of the 'Cab-Hi' on a Tundra...

d83d1cecbb08dc045160fdd98df59e0d_7870.jpg

As far as the roof rack is concerned, if I put Yakima tracks on the shell myself, I void the warranty. So I will have them put on at the factory. Then I'll use the mounting points to mount Front Runner Windcheetah tracks and the rack itself eventually. Again, no pics of this with a Tundra, but on a Taco (Thanks to Tomesd)...

IMG_0019.jpg

IMG_0018.jpg

IMG_0013.jpg

I have not ordered this shell yet, I am going to see one up close in 2 weeks. If I like what I see, I'll order it.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

BWJ

greg mgm

Explorer
I bought an ARE for my Tundra....love it. Decided against the windoors, but did buy Yakima tracks, bedrug and rail system. I'd buy it all again in a heartbeat.

IMG_0839Custom.jpg

IMG_0857Custom.jpg

IMG_0845Custom.jpg

No drilling to mount the shell-
IMG_0847Custom.jpg

Last edited:

Colby Jack

Traveler
Are mx

I have an ARE MX topper that is just slightly taller than the cab of my truck. I ordered the built in tool box system on the drivers side, which incorporates a Yakima track system on top, and a windoor on the passenger side with sliding center and bug screen. I had my back window plinked with a BB this winter-- Shattered glass everywhere, and ARE was easy to deal with through my insurance and local dealer.

I am a contractor, and thus carry lumber, sheetrock, tyvek, etc. on a daily basis. I never trusted the Yakima system. It bowed greatly with just a few bits of heavy lumber. I even went so far as to add another rack on top of the cab for ladders to extend to. The reality is that Yakima truly makes a rack system for recreational, not industrial, use.

I now have a true ladder and lumber rack by Kargo Master that mounts to the bed rails, and extends around and over my topper. It's working well so far.

Sorry to be long winded. You just mentioned that the topper would be used for work and recreation. If I could go back, I would not do the tool box. I'd rather get windoors on both sides, and build a cabinet inside. The tool box intrudes on the cargo space way to much in my opinion.

Colby Jack

CCH

Adventurer
I've owned Snugtop and Leer, both were mid to high end models at the time. I liked the Snugtop but didn't like the glass door on the Leer. It simply wouldn't seal well. Need a new one and am looking at an A.R.E. XV. Their "value" line XV is at about as low a price point as I can find, but the construction is supposed to be equal to the higher line models, just less bells and whistles. Definitely going for windoors!

Hokie

Observer
I really like some of these Snugtops, but when I enter my zip onto their website, it gives me one distributor that is in Missouri ...... and I am Georgia. I even tried it with an old zip code from Virginia and got the same thing.

Do they not have east coast distribution or am I missing something here?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94