Camper shell with swing open doors: Opinions

SixLug

Explorer
Anyone have a camper shell that has swing open doors like the Snugtop Outback, or one of the many commercial shells that have them? I love the idea, but I am looking for some real world feedback on the pros and cons of this setup. I don't carry overly long items that a tailgate would offer extra support for. I don't sit on my tailgate so often that I would lose a seat. I have two dogs, and I feel this might make their entry and egress a little easier. I would think it would make reaching things in the back easier as well.

Any opinions at all are welcome. I am in the market and am currently looking at the BrandFX commercial composite low profile shells with 60/40 doors.

Thanks.

Last edited:

SixLug

Explorer
Thank you for the link. What an awesome rig that guy is making but holy moly those are expensive. Good info in that link though. I didn't think about width between doors for sheets of plywood so that is a good question to ask. I think the benefits of doors outweigh the benefits of a tailgate. I have a Dodge 2500 Megacab and the tailgate on that thing is way up there.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Well, as someone who went from a pickup to an SUV I miss having a tailgate and would hate to give it up.

ethan1911

What tire carrier is that? How is it mounted? Very cool rig!
Thanks, it’s from a mid 90s Nissan Pathfinder I had to modify the mounts now it bolts through the shell to 1/4 inch steel plate that’s on the bed. I’m 150lbs and can sit on the tire wile it’s open and nothing gives.

SixLug

Explorer
Have you looked at caravan camper shells? They are the absolute best.
I have. They are insanely expensive though (to me anyway...everything is relative). I'm out on the BrandFX unit as well...stripped down with no inner shells or anything, it was $5100.00 plus freight, plus paint to match the truck. At that price point I would want to go for something like the OVRLND units.

I have been thinking about this more and more and really want this kind of setup. I don't think it would be that hard to build a frame and modify a standard composite shell and make my own doors. Now I am looking for a used shell that I can do this to.

ethan1911

I have. They are insanely expensive though (to me anyway...everything is relative). I'm out on the BrandFX unit as well...stripped down with no inner shells or anything, it was $5100.00 plus freight, plus paint to match the truck. At that price point I would want to go for something like the OVRLND units.

I have been thinking about this more and more and really want this kind of setup. I don't think it would be that hard to build a frame and modify a standard composite shell and make my own doors. Now I am looking for a used shell that I can do this to.
Look at the boxes on electrical and plumbing trucks there fairly common in salvage yards. Mines an ARE and cost $2000 new I bought it from my local u pull yard for $300.

SixLug

Explorer
Look at the boxes on electrical and plumbing trucks there fairly common in salvage yards. Mines an ARE and cost $2000 new I bought it from my local u pull yard for $300.

I have seen a lot of them for sale locally as well. My main hang up is that I want side windows and no internal shelving or storage boxes, and that is what is hard to find in those commercial shells. That, and I would prefer a composite shell to a thin gauge metal one.

SixLug

Explorer
And I don’t mean for that to sound like a knock against “thin metal ones”. After a lot of researching on these shells, it just seems the consensus is that composite ones can take a bit more abuse while not showing it as much.

slowtwitch

Adventurer
I like tailgates and a topper lift gate for shade. If you have a platform in the bed, makes a nice backrest. I would only do barn doors if I had a nice table on a swing away. I'd also be paranoid about them popping open, and spilling gear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94