Camper shell and OME

Jc1986.carter

I’m running the Falken AT3w 265/75/16LT load range E on my Xterra. Love them. Snow traction is amazing. I had to drive through a blizzard in northern NewBrunswick, Canada, for 75km I was in 2wd (I had forgotten to lock my manual hubs) and it was too dangerous to stop on the highway. they drive like a dedicated snow tire. I find them quiet on highway too. I’ve only done minimal mud with them but they seem to clear just fine. I would buy them again. Previously I was running Treadwright GuardDogs.
That’s good to hear. Did you notice a difference from the weight between your previous and the atw3s? They seem super heavy for a 265/75

bushnut

Adventurer
Never got a chance to weigh them, but the GDs were heavy when doing a rotation. They were on OG “LEGO” rims. Its almost time to rotate the Falkens. So far the wear is imperceptible. Fuel efficiency definitely went up.

Jc1986.carter

So earlier this year I purchased a set of ome struts and 607 coils preassembled off of a clubfrontier forum member, installed dobinson medium leaf packs and in the rear running ome shocks.

I lost some height front and rear over the on top spacer and oem leaf with aal but made up for it in a better ride. I will say the rear spring are good but with a cab cover and about 100lbs of camping and work gear it is barely over leveled. It only sagged a little with an entire truck bed worth of firewood. The ome combo upfront is a game changer in terms of on road travel, firm and compliant.

I haven’t been offroad with it since installing the new bits. I was planning on taking an off road driving course, hopefully things will get better as the year progresses and I can schedule the training again.

Last edited:

Jc1986.carter

photos of the truck as it sits today. It even got a bath over the weekend.

ome struts with 607
Dobinson medium leaf pack
Bfg ko2 dt 265/75r16
Hefty fab sliders4F7A983C-D1B6-44ED-913F-3B01B3DD6EDF.jpeg19527D98-71A0-48F3-B505-398F3AE193F3.jpegE6EDC470-3273-4678-9DE2-5BC9ED9495F8.jpeg32F100F8-97EE-44B5-937E-151E73E8FF69.jpeg

LJBeck

I just had the full OME Heavy setup installed front and rear on a 2011 KC Pro-4X. On the truck I have an ARE MX Cap (mid Height) and Decked system. After the drawers and the cap were installed the suspension in the rear sagged considerably.

I haven't had to much time to test the new suspension out but overall I am very happy with the height and comfort. I went with the heavy set in the front so that I am covered in the future decide to upgrade the bumper.

jpat30

Adventurer
@LJBeck,
When you get a moment, could you post up a pic or two. I have 17 KC that I am shopping for a cap for. I will also be upgrading the suspension to OME. Thanks in advance.

bob280zx

Observer
Mine is a 2007 KC 4x4. For years, i used the OME HD on the front and MD on the rear and it was fine - great actually. When we got the trailer, the 375 tongue weight added a bit more sag than I was comfortable with so I added the extra leaves to make HD. I’m satisfied with the result. This picture was still with the MD and you can make out the bit of sag. That’s gone now And everything is level.1594689785528.jpeg

Last edited:

Jc1986.carter

What snorkel is that? Is it just an eBay but with a new air filter?
Mine is a 2007 KC 4x4. For years, i used the OME HD on the front and MD on the rear and it was fine - great actually. When we got the trailer, the 375 tongue weight added a bit more sag than I was comfortable with so I added the extra leaves to make HD. I’m satisfied with the result. This picture was still with the MD and you can make out the bit of sag. That’s gone now And everything is level.View attachment 598286

Jc1986.carter

I’ll snap so shots of the cap. It’s has the carpeted interior and a led strip for lighting. Windows have a wire mesh so I can air out the bed if I have something in there that smells. Overall I’m pretty happy with it.
@LJBeck,
When you get a moment, could you post up a pic or two. I have 17 KC that I am shopping for a cap for. I will also be upgrading the suspension to OME. Thanks in advance.

jpat30

Adventurer
Thanks JC, that would be so helpful and much appreciated.

Bob, thanks for posting a pic of your setup as well. I really appreciate it. Your rig looks great. What cap do you have on the back there and how does your truck handle the casita?

bob280zx

Observer
Thanks JC, that would be so helpful and much appreciated.

Bob, thanks for posting a pic of your setup as well. I really appreciate it. Your rig looks great. What cap do you have on the back there and how does your truck handle the casita?

Thank you The cap is an ARE CX. Towing the Casita is no problem at all. Get about 13 mpg towing which isn't bad at all. Struggled a bit in some of the high passes in Colorado but overall the performance is good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles