Camper shell and OME

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
FWIW, not a Nissan guy but a few go-rounds with a couple of Toyotas with various OME stuff. It's important IMO to know your ride height expectations, too. Medium packs will support additional weight compared to stock but will not provide as much lift as the heavy with the same payload. Plus, the heavy won't flex as much unless you have a lot of weight.

So I suppose what I'm saying is there is rarely a single right answer here because one person's ideal might ride too high, too low, too stiff or too soft for another. Also you have to know your front lift and medium vs heavy is sort of relative if you run OME on all four corners to achieve a balanced height.

Also, you can usually convert OME packs between medium and heavy. If you find a medium to be unsuited you buy the add-a-leaf for your pack to bump it up. Vice versa you can convert a heavy by removing one of the full length non-wrap leafs. So it's not a disaster to pick wrong and if there's a question I'd go with the higher and remove a leaf personally.

Jc1986.carter

Yeah I was tracking the that the mediums can be convert to HD with the add a leaf. I also understand that different strokes for different folks, aka one setup might work for one person and would be terrible for another.

I have gone through the troubles of figuring out suspension problems when i had a Grand Cherokee with an ARB bumper. The biggest issue I had previously was before finding the proper coil spring rate the front end was sunken and braking and corning was horrible, after getting higher weight rating springs from a different manufacturer (murchison off-road out of Australia) the problem was fixed and the braking and turning was back to “normal”.

Long story short, I just want to get as close to ideal the first go round.

(none)

Adventurer
Yeah I tried to order the outdoorsman window too. I can’t beliece I didn’t think about doing one type of window on each side, that was super smart on your part.

Wish i could take credit for that, the dealer offered that option after i explained half of the whole reason i was getting the cap was for the pup and the regular windoors wouldn't do. It's a compromise, but i can live with it.

Jc1986.carter

LOL, if you pull that off you might be The One. ;-)

You just need to lower your expectations on what ideal is. Just kidding. I just want a simple increase in height and weight carrying capacity. Having had OME previously and not wanting a coilover that requires a rebuild every 50-60k would be ideal.

(none)

Adventurer
You just need to lower your expectations on what ideal is. Just kidding. I just want a simple increase in height and weight carrying capacity. Having had OME previously and not wanting a coilover that requires a rebuild every 50-60k would be ideal.

Understandable. I'd say go by OME guidelines: No front bumper/winch, medium up front. Bumper and winch, go with heavies. The spring rates are the same, just the overall height is different. I was concerned it'd be too much spring for me even with the bumper and winch, but I have been pleasantly surprised.

Rear: Order medium unless you constantly have a bunch of weight back there. A topper isn't a bunch of weight. If you only occasionally haul heavy, plan to add airbags (that's my plan right now). As noted, you can always add the leaf to each side to convert your mediums to heavies later if you'd like to.

I ran a full icon setup on my previous 4R. I think this OME setup rides just as good (if not better) under normal driving. I haven't pushed it off-road yet.

Jc1986.carter

Are the hd and mediums the same spring rate up front? I haven’t seen or read anywhere about their respective stats.

I had already narrowed down the rears to the mediums and hd in the front since I will be getting a bar and winch (bar and suspension will most likely be ordered in tandem and winch down the road)

DaveInDenver

Are the hd and mediums the same spring rate up front? I haven’t seen or read anywhere about their respective stats.

I had already narrowed down the rears to the mediums and hd in the front since I will be getting a bar and winch (bar and suspension will most likely be ordered in tandem and winch down the road)
You can usually track down OME spring data. I can tell you some of the coils commonly used on Toyotas, if it helps.

883 - 14.76" - 590 lb/in
884 - 15.35" - 590 lb/in
885 - 15.55" - 590 lb/in
886 - 15.83" - 660 lb/in
887 - 15.75" - 590 lb/in
888 - 15.94" - 590 lb/in

What is medium or heavy depends on what you're after. Generally the 886 is the one that gets a V6 with a bumper and winch the full 3" of lift while a 884 would do that for a 4 cylinder and stock bumper. The 883 is a stock height riding coil and the 885 falls somewhere in the middle. The 887 and 888 are taller versions of the 884 and 885.

DaveInDenver

Well, I dunno if this helps, but looks like OME lists 3 possibilities for D40 trucks.

This will be:
model - free height - rate
2607 - 370mm - 480 lb/in
2608 - 380mm - 480 lb/in
2631 - 375mm - 580 lb/in

They say for V6 petrol the 2607 is for 20 to 30 mm of lift up to +40 kgs, 2608 for 41 to 80 kgs.

For D23 there's also:

3099 - 390mm - 500 lb/in
3100 - 395mm - 500 lb/in
3101 - 400mm - 500 lb/in

Does this jive with anything?

(none)

Adventurer
Well, I dunno if this helps, but looks like OME lists 3 possibilities for D40 trucks.

This will be:
model - free height - rate
2607 - 370mm - 480 lb/in
2608 - 380mm - 480 lb/in

2631 - 375mm - 580 lb/in

They say for V6 petrol the 2607 is for 20 to 30 mm of lift up to +40 kgs, 2608 for 41 to 80 kgs.

For D23 there's also:

3099 - 390mm - 500 lb/in
3100 - 395mm - 500 lb/in
3101 - 400mm - 500 lb/in

Does this jive with anything?

That's about right. the 2607 and 2608 are the front spring choices usually offered. The 2607 is the "medium", 2608 is the "HD", as you can see they have the same rate, just taller. The 2631 I think are for the heavier diesel trucks.

Also note, OME states the fronts (when properly weighted) offer only a 20-30mm (.79-1.19") lift. That's about what I got up front (around 1-1.25" lift).

Jc1986.carter

Well I got my topper yesterday. I’m stoked about it. I really think this truck looks better with a topper.

96BB36B9-BF44-4B77-99DD-4DC72DDFCD4F.jpegE1E62203-1A39-48F3-A0CF-1695722D0016.jpeg69E163CF-F4BD-4481-B493-DF42CE831BA0.jpegC82618DA-EC6A-486F-88C9-E54A84816027.jpeg

Attachments

• 4099E559-4916-49EE-809E-B6575AF85A11.jpeg
    4099E559-4916-49EE-809E-B6575AF85A11.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 51

kootenay

Intergalacticsuperintendent
The truck is looking good. I am running the Oldman Emu mediums front and rear. With the Canopy on it rides great, also great without. I load the truck down regularly, and love the ride.

Jc1986.carter

So a quick update. I added a “budget lift” yesterday. The lift included a top spacer (verses an in-coil spacer. No preload on the stock coil, just pushes the stock coil and strut down.) and a 2” add a leaf. I like the top spacer a lot, keeps the stock rise characteristics and comfort. The rear aal really helped out with the sag I had after getting the topper and the random stuff I carry in the bed everyday.

Here is a picture of how the truck sits now. I really like the profile it has and the truck feel much more planted than before.

Before:

After:

I didn’t take before measurements but, after measurements are: Front-36.75” rear-37.5”

Tires are 235/85r16s cooper at3s. When these wear out which doesn’t look like it will be any time soon, currently have 40k on them and they still have quite a bit of life in them. I’m thinking of going back to 265/75r16s, but I’m torn between getting another set of cooper at3s, cooper st maxxs or the falken atw3s. Does anyone have a take on the falken? I’ve read they are great but, you the at3s are fantastic. These are the second set I’ve had and they are great. The first set was my wk2 grand Cherokee I had and they were p-metric (I didn’t know any better back then) and they wore out at about the 40k. The current ones are wearing like iron, which is fantastic for as many miles I have put on them over the past year. I would love to hear the communities take on tire choices.

Last edited:

bushnut

Adventurer
I’m running the Falken AT3w 265/75/16LT load range E on my Xterra. Love them. Snow traction is amazing. I had to drive through a blizzard in northern NewBrunswick, Canada, for 75km I was in 2wd (I had forgotten to lock my manual hubs) and it was too dangerous to stop on the highway. they drive like a dedicated snow tire. I find them quiet on highway too. I’ve only done minimal mud with them but they seem to clear just fine. I would buy them again. Previously I was running Treadwright GuardDogs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles