Camper Import: From port to DMV

gingiman

Hello all,
I’m in the process of importing an Expedition Camper to the US.
I’ve been searching around the forums trying to figure out how to complete this seemingly impossible task...
I’ve made my way (theoretically) all the way from Northern Italy to the gate exiting the Port of Baltimore in Maryland, USA.
The part I’m stuck on is the last leg. The drive from US port to local DMV for vehicle VIN inspection and registration.
So here’s my question:
Given the fact that the previous owner will be taking the old plates off the car at the port in Antwerp, which plates do I put on the car after I roll off the boat stateside?

Thx all and happy trails

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
In most states you get a temporary trip permit which is good for a couple of days.

In 2003 I drove a sprinter van on one from Michigan to Seattle...

gingiman

In most states you get a temporary trip permit which is good for a couple of days.

In 2003 I drove a sprinter van on one from Michigan to Seattle...

So you can get one regardless of residence or final registration destination?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
We are in the same process (1988 MB 1120 AF). We are registering the truck in the state of Vermont. All it took was printing/filling out a form available online, then sending the tax and registration check (from Puerto Rico). We just received the plates and registration yesterday mailed to Florida (my parents). We will be hopefully be picking up the truck in Georgia on the 26th. All the state said was that once we get to Vermont we need to bring it to an inspection station. Check your state, Vermont does not require a vin check since the truck is old, it does not even require a title.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
Check with the DMV office or County Court Clerk in the county in which the port is located. They will be very familiar with the necessary temporary license plate required for transport of this vehicle from the port to your destination. Happens every day.

IF you are cheap and want to gamble just bring a plate off another vehicle from home, stick on the vehicle and take your chances. Worst that can happen to you is "Three Hot's and Cot"!

DCGibbs

Observer
Worst that can happen to you is "Three Hot's and Cot"!
Off-Topic,
This had me laughing... It's good to be semi-fluent in French, Spanish, when visiting Quebec and Mexico - in rented vehicles... Really didn't want to explain why I was being detained. Good thing my Passports weren't expired.
Back on Topic.
If you walk into your local States DMV, explain what you're doing and applying for a temporary permit. They'll work with you. I have brought several diesel Toyota's LC's to the states. Shame I still don't have the HJ62 series.

gingiman

So I checked with the Maryland DMV, they don’t offer temporary tags for non-residents.
The vehicle will be registered in Oklahoma, if I can get there.
Anyone else encounter this dilemma?

Screwfly

You may want to call the OK DMV to see what permit you need. Otherwise, you may want to have it transported so you don't have to deal with permits and such.

gingiman

Tried the OK DMV.
They want to see the car and complete VIN inspection in order to issue tags.
Someone say chicken and egg?

4xdog

Explorer
So I checked with the Maryland DMV, they don’t offer temporary tags for non-residents...

I recently bought a replacement for my old Tacoma in Colorado and brought it back to Missouri. I didn't get temporary tags -- that would have required a Colorado address, which I could have supplied, and cost more -- but rather I got transport tags, which for notalot gave me three days to get the car back here.

So my advice would be to double check with Maryland to see if they have a transport/transfer tag instead of a traditional temporary tag.

Viatorem

How did this import work out?? From what I'm reading, unless the vehicle has a DOT label or Cert of Compliance (with NHTSA/DOT standards) you need a Registered Importer to get you a Conformity Bond - then Customs might eventually let it off the boat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94