camper composites

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Interesting. Competition is good. Can’t wait to see what they come up with. Like construction method , material choice and pricing.

Lance990

Observer
I have a feeling that this is a wing of another company that is already in business. They seem to have a lot of capital to invest in shop space. Reminds me of Scout/Adventurer campers. I'd like to know where they gained their experience if they have any. I don't trust upstarts with no industry experience given the high cost of building a custom camper. I suspect it is someone trying to cash in on the camper demand craze and line their pockets from overpriced campers. Everybody wants to get rich off of selling one or two campers. Some of these companies prey on the ill-informed. I am a member of a Scout camper forum and some people just put down deposits and order campers without knowing what their needs are or what campers are right for them. Some people immediately start asking about air conditioning for the Scout campers, a minimalist camper not designed to have all the luxuries. They want all the bells and whistles on a stripped down brand. The RV business thrives on this type of ignorance. They also want fully loaded luxury campers that they can carry on their Tacoma and 1/2 ton trucks and don't understand why they can't have them. They order Scout campers because they are lightweight but also want bathrooms and showers in them along with air conditioning. My mistake was buying the biggest truck and camper combo I could afford and now I want to go smaller and lighter which is why the Scout campers appealed to me (I don't own one).

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
I have a feeling that this is a wing of another company that is already in business. They seem to have a lot of capital to invest in shop space. Reminds me of Scout/Adventurer campers. I'd like to know where they gained their experience if they have any. I don't trust upstarts with no industry experience given the high cost of building a custom camper. I suspect it is someone trying to cash in on the camper demand craze and line their pockets from overpriced campers. Everybody wants to get rich off of selling one or two campers. Some of these companies prey on the ill-informed. I am a member of a Scout camper forum and some people just put down deposits and order campers without knowing what their needs are or what campers are right for them. Some people immediately start asking about air conditioning for the Scout campers, a minimalist camper not designed to have all the luxuries. They want all the bells and whistles on a stripped down brand. The RV business thrives on this type of ignorance. They also want fully loaded luxury campers that they can carry on their Tacoma and 1/2 ton trucks and don't understand why they can't have them. They order Scout campers because they are lightweight but also want bathrooms and showers in them along with air conditioning. My mistake was buying the biggest truck and camper combo I could afford and now I want to go smaller and lighter which is why the Scout campers appealed to me (I don't own one).

Just had a closer look at the pictures... It appears that they "borrowed" images from us (the gray one) and one from Overland Explorer. Not funny...

gdaut

They say of the small shells: "These usually units come in under 500 pounds." Aside for the lack of proof-reading, one wonders about the use of the word "usually" since it implies a number of such units have been built. I hope they are legit and ultimately successful, but their initial marketing makes them look sort of scammy.

Last edited:

Lance990

Observer
They say of the small shells: "These usually units come in under 500 pounds." Aside for the lack of proof-reading, one wonders about the use of the word "usually" since it implies a number of such unit have been built. I hope they are legit and ultimately successful, but their initial marketing makes them look sort of scammy.

Scammy is the operative word there.

simple

Adventurer
Under 500lbs is probably a canopy style camper that mounts on the top of truck bed rails and not the small box in their picture. Victorian would know better but composite panels have a minimum weight / sqft for a decent structural foam core and thickness of FRP skin. Too light of foam with tissue paper thin skin wouldn't last and would puncture easily.

I think it is safe to assume this company hasn't done their research yet and the website with borrowed images is a place holder while they get going. I would say they are scammy if they are taking people's money before they have built and thoroughly tested prototypes.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
You might be surprised.

My entire shell was right about 700#
And its made from fir framing, 6mm marine ply, and 1.5" XPS foam

44094592912_d667976784_o.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz