Camper Build for JDM 4x4 Toyota Dyna Truck

FireAce

Awesome. It shares all the tech with our 4x4 Hiace van, but then this one will have a truck cabin on a seperate chassis?
Check if the rear axle has an LSD. Sticker on diff or axle code.

Yes, truck cabin on 1.25t truck chassis.
I’ll check on the rear axle, not sure actually.

FireAce

Hi,

I am interested in getting a truck like this down in the states. What is the wheelbase and track width of this awesome truck?

The wheelbase is 232cm and the track width with my current 3rd gen 4Runner wheels and 245/75R16 tires is 169cm

There will be a VIN plate somewhere with axle and transmission codes amongst others

Ok, so the Trans/Axle code is listed as: R351F B03B
Does that mean anything to you?

Edit: Did some googling, looks like an ASIN transmission and seems that the differential is probably LSD? Seems to be the same differential code as many Supras use. Interesting.

Last edited:

FireAce

Ah I didnt expect that, that means it is not a solid axle in the back but independed suspension?

Yeah, I’m confused, the pictures I found of the Supra differentials look nothing like the truck. It’s definitely a solid rear axle and not Independent. Front is IFS

Looked up the part diagrams and a LSD option is listed:
cf6e0c66e455314f2bd590744baa295e.jpg

Still don’t know how to tell which differential I have though, I guess I could jack the truck up and give the wheels a spin? If they spin in the same direction that means it’s lsd correct?

Also found the part number for the LSD differential assembly, it cross-references with the following North American Land Cruisers equipped with LSD differentials:

01/1990-12/2006 TOYOTA LAND CRUISER FJ,FZJ,HDJ,HJ,HZJ,KZJ,LJ,PZJ,RJ7*

Really curious now.

Edit: Going down a rabbit hole of internet searching now. Strangely enough it sounds like the Toyota Supra differentials are one some way the same or very similar as used by some Toyota trucks. Someone posted this:

“Here is some info I got on Supra Torsens:

The Torsen diff is a standard fitment to all 6 speed MKIV's, a lot of the Auto twin turbos and you'll even occasionally find it on a naturally aspirated Supra. You can tell if your Supra has a Torsen diff by reading the Trans/Axle code on the Engine Tag which is situated under your hood. The last letter of the 4 character code (eg. B03B) denotes the diff type which is "A" for a std diff and "B" for a Torsen diff.

The Torsen (TORque SENsing) LSD (Limited Slip Diff) works quite differently to the TRD LSD. The Torsen is a Torque Multipling type of diff with a multiplication ratio of around 5:1. What this means is that whatever torque can be sent to the wheel with the least traction, it can send up to 5 times that torque to the wheel with the most traction. Its biggest advantage is that it can do this extremely quickly and doesn't ever lockup the ratio, but is continuously "sensing" and adjusting the torque between the two wheels.”

Here’s the link to the thread:

Last edited:

Lovetheworld

I don't get it either.

Our Hiace has a very similar diff 43102-35010. Which is an LSD.
And the axle code is G255 on VIN plate, which is a standard G axle and 8 inch diff like on many 4x4 Toyota's.

FireAce

Yeah, only thing I can think is the internals may be the same? From the forum posts, it sounds like the Supra differential is also an 8” LSD with a 5:1 ratio which I’d be pretty happy about! I have noticed that the truck drives very well when when not in 4WD but chalked it up to the weight on the back.

I had assumed that it was an open diff as I didn’t realize LSD’s were so common in the JDM market.

FireAce

So turns out that you can’t test for a Torsen lsd differential by raising the wheels and turning them as there has to be power applied to the driveshaft in order for the lsd to engage. It will act like an open differential when just turning the wheels.

Other than taking the differential apart, no idea how to tell for sure what I have.

pni173

I've just picked one of these up myself. Mine has the 2.8l but it seems to get along just fine.
I'm wanting to replace the standard wheels and tyres, but like you I don't want to trim the guard. In NZ we aren't able to increase the wheel circumference by more than 5% without getting the vehicle certified.
So I am pretty much stuck with a very limited choice.

Siftyush

Hi mate I'm nz based and have just purchased a 2.8 flatdeck, are you doing a camper build on the back of yours?
Cheers Tim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles