Camper Bed Question

Far Raider

My wife and I are in the planning/gutting phase of a Type 1 ambulance conversion and can't seem to find much info about beds. Ideally, we'd find a "real" mattress with a width between a twin (38") and a full (54). 48" would be great so I am thinking we need to go some sort of custom route (make our own?). I've read bad things about foam, hate our futon so definitely don't want a futon mattress and we were unclear about what else exists. So..... What do you use? What would you use if you were building up again?
Thanks for the advice!

Last edited:

javajoe79

Fabricator
I had a queen size 4" thick paco pad made. Jacks plastic welding in New Mexico makes them. Made from whitewater raft material. Fairly indestructible

Last edited:

Maninga

Adventurer
I'm using an Ikea mattress. Found it comfortable as the spare mattress at home, it's fairly thin. If need a bit more cushion, planning to add Froli springs.

S2DM

Adventurer
We made a custom one out of latex rubber. Found a shop on Amazon that customs cuts them. It's heavier than some, but as comfortable as our home bed and not prone to degradation, taking on moisture etc.

Iain_U1250

Explorer
We bought a latex mattress and matching adjustable slatted base from IKEA. We bought the one that tilts both ends as well. It is heavy, but even more comfortable than out home mattress. Make sure you have proper ventilation under the mattress, or mould will build up. We raise up both ends to dry out the underside to the mattress every few days, and so far we have had no problems at all.

Having a good bed is essential, so if you plan on living in your truck, spend as much as you would on your home bed.

Far Raider

Thanks everyone for their input. I will definitely look into a latex option. I'm not worried about the weight but rather thickness. It seems today beds are ridiculously thick. Why would I want a 10, let alone a 20 inch mattress? I'm looking for comfort in 4-6".

S2DM

Adventurer
Thanks everyone for their input. I will definitely look into a latex option. I'm not worried about the weight but rather thickness. It seems today beds are ridiculously thick. Why would I want a 10, let alone a 20 inch mattress? I'm looking for comfort in 4-6".

We've done a bunch of experimentation with this, 6" is about the minimum to get a home replacement level of comfort, but 8" is much closer. In short, you need one very dense layer, ideally 3", one medium layer, 2-3" and then a topper of your desired final firmness. If you like firm, just get 6" of firm latex. Softer is harder to accomplish in 6".

We bought from sleep on latex on amazon. Good to work with and did custom cuts for $15 extra

https://www.amazon.com/Sleep-On-Lat...11&field-lbr_brands_browse-bin=Sleep+On+Latex

https://sleeponlatex.com/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles