Camp Tables - What are you using?

Robert Bills

Explorer
I just ordered this "tire table" from DFG Offroad after returning from a 3 week overlanding trip to Mexico and not being 100% pleased with my current table choices. I wanted something akin to a tailgate for use with my Xterra which has a hatch and no tailgate and also with my Jeep which doesn't have the room to store larger tables.
folding-tire-table-4-legs-dfg-offroad.jpg

https://www.dfgoffroad.com/folding-...tml#/color-wood/travel_bag-without_travel_bag

I will report back after I have a chance to use it. I chose the DFG Offroad "tire table" rather than the Tailgator Tire Table referenced earlier in this thread because it packs smaller and can also be used as a low stand-alone table. Hopefully, this will be the answer for a quick, easily stowed table surface for lunch breaks and trailside meal prep.

Right now I am carrying a Lifetime 2x4 fold-in-half table in the Xterra. Another member of the group also had one that we used frequently on my recent trip. Mine was never used and if I am traveling in my Jeep there isn't room to take it at all. Time to retire this table to household use.

f1d1c324-dbef-4056-9d93-5d85fdc59e6d_1.62d0592d9bbf5d8581eeba18f0f5ead7.jpeg

I have a folding plastic side table that I usually carry and an aluminum version that I sometimes use. These are fine for what they are, but I only have room for one so it must either be for meal prep or eating/cocktails and not both at the same time.

adams-manufacturing-outdoor-side-tables-8500-01-3700-64_1000.jpg

mings-mark-ta-8120-20-x-20-x-24-5-square-aluminium-table-sturdy.jpg

I have seen people use folding steps to double as a stove stand of sorts. I tried it in Mexico for my single burner butane stove. It works okay for that purpose but I wouldn't want to try it with a larger stove and one must always be concerned with melting the plastic.

71nzhqtTi4L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Recently had a chance to check out the Cosco table from Lowes. Used it all weekend as a work table in the pits and it took a beating and came out just like new. We used it with a rookie driver rookie crew and a new car. We organized tools on it they would need between rounds for servicing. The team, driver, car, and table survived the thrash weekend. My next trip to Lowes will be picking one up for myself.

Hoooogan

Main Table - Lifetime folding 2'x4' with telescoping legs (quicker setup/take down and larger)
extra table - REI Co-Op roll up

PlacidWaters

Adventurer
One thing I don't understand about tables that are connected to a vehicle: my vehicle is usually blazing hot in the summer. Eating next to my vehicle is the last thing I want to do.

robert

Expedition Leader
One thing I don't understand about tables that are connected to a vehicle: my vehicle is usually blazing hot in the summer. Eating next to my vehicle is the last thing I want to do.

It's usually dirty and has often driven through questionable water as well. I'll keep my separate table or just use the tailgate that I can easily wipe off.

Robert Bills

Explorer
I view the DFG Offroad "tire table" as a convenient place to put stuff within reach of a camp stove or "side table" for condiments, a coffee pot, etc. more than an eating table. I have a little folding table for eating, pictured in Post #69.

I haven't received mine yet so I reserve judgment. I'm going to experiment with it and will report back. I have a tailgate table in my jeep that works well as a prep table and to hold a single burner butane stove. A tire table isn't really necessary but might be a nice accessory table. However, my Xterra has a lift hatch and no place to put anything if packed with gear so I can foresee much more use. We will see.

Hoooogan

Entirely personal preference, like virtually everything else. The main point is that you have a table without having to carry a table. It's like an extension of a tailgate that is extremely convenient. But like you mention, it's not for everyone.

I personally opted out of the drop-down table on my swingout bumper because my drawer opens right where it would be. I rarely use my tailgate as a table because of this same reason. I'd need to move everything if I wanted to get in the drawer.

On the other hand, a friend of mine has the table and we modified the swingout to open past 90° to about 135° so as to hold the table away from the truck. It works great in that it doesn't interfere with anything opening or closing. BUT, he also carries a small table that gets used more than the drop-down because of your reason to move away from the truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles