Camp Stereo

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
My last post was a little bit snotty. Maybe more than a little bit. Sorry about that.

I hadn't thought about the fact that it may not be easy to get away from other people in other parts of the country...or the world for that matter.

perterra

Adventurer
My last post was a little bit snotty. Maybe more than a little bit. Sorry about that.

I hadn't thought about the fact that it may not be easy to get away from other people in other parts of the country...or the world for that matter.

No big deal, but I am jealous of your area. Texas sucks for getting away from crowded camping areas, its mostly private property.

pluton

Adventurer

I'm not troubled by your attitude as written...it seemed clear you were being somewhat strident in order to make a point.
I think many of us here have camped in both in crowded State or Fed campgrounds, and also in the more dispersed, 'wildernessy' places.

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
Thanks for being gracious fellows. I really felt like a jerk after spouting off. Gonna have to blame it on the Budweiser. :confused:

Please don't let my antics kill the thread. It would be great to find a small, battery-powered device that would play at a reasonable volume when camping alone. A few people in the thread have introduced me to a couple of options that I hadn't discovered.

perterra

Adventurer
Thanks for being gracious fellows. I really felt like a jerk after spouting off. Gonna have to blame it on the Budweiser. :confused:

Please don't let my antics kill the thread. It would be great to find a small, battery-powered device that would play at a reasonable volume when camping alone. A few people in the thread have introduced me to a couple of options that I hadn't discovered.

Not a big deal, so dont feel bad. Pretty sure I have done the same.

pluton

Adventurer
. It would be great to find a small, battery-powered device that would play at a reasonable volume when camping alone.
There are lots of small devices to choose from.
There's something to remember: Due to the immutable laws of physics, the smaller the loudspeaker, the less loud it can be. Less ability to go loud equals less dynamic range. Less dynamic range equals audible compression, which makes the music reproduce kind of flat and lifeless.
Pop music that is played at a constant volume level survives compression better than dynamic classical. When a FFF cymbal crash in an orchestral piece is the same loudness as a PP solo clarinet, it kind of sucks the life out of the music.
Now, if you take one of the new miracle mini units and place it next to your head in the tent, it'll simulate a nice hifi stereo.
Next best would be to place the small unit(s) inside a vehicle facing out. The vehicle interior becomes a room to generate bass resonances and gives a pleasing "rich" sound.
I've done this with the Bose Sound Link units (2 units tricked into being the left and right sides of stereo) placed in the back of my 4Runner with the back hatch open. I sit 5 or 10 feet away and the sound is pleasant....but...because they are small speakers, they never reproduce anything with full dynamic range.
A well-designed boom box...something with 6 inch or larger woofers, maybe, should give the best sound with the least rigamarole: They're not small, but because of it's size it 'brings the room with itself' and is capable of fairly nice sound when placed out in the open, like on the camp table.

perterra

Adventurer

I wish I had a Bud right now. LOL Been a long day, I'll make do with rum, mint and lime juice.

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
There are so many Bluetooth speakers out there these days that are great for battery life and can even be used to charge your phone in some cases. They also charge pretty quick and last a long time on 1 charge. I picked up a Kicker KPM50 recently for a very reasonable price, around $48 bucks as I recall. It's a nice little speaker with a small footprint and 'reasonable' volume. For some fireside tunes and or listening to a podcast etc it is good. It won't break the bank or blow your doors off, but it works. If you want to go nuts, there are some of the bigger JBL units that are truly impressive... but that is not really what most people need. I have my truck system (Ram Alpine system with upgraded subs and so on) if I feel the need to crank it.

I am pretty much a quiet camp camper... we don't have a TV or even use the stereo in our 25' travel trailer, and when wilderness camping I rarely bring out the music. But should the desire be there to listen to some tunes...I can on the cheap.

ebrabaek

Adventurer
I use a JBL flip 4 to carry around with me. Have not had it camping with us though, but @$99..... it sounds great.
If you need more the charge 4 is fifty more. Sounds better and have 20 hr battery.
Were I to bring sound outside the studio that's what I would bring.

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
...Will likely get a JBL flip 4 soon; a friend has the JBL flip(?) 3 and it makes plenty of fair sound to camp with... (going to store the separate speakers & Bluetooth amp (too much bulk to carry Jeep camping with everything else)
Recharge duties are well taken care of by the deep discharge tent battery...

Enjoy!

77blazerchalet

Former Chalet owner
Being still relegated to tent camping, I was once again at my favorite campground above Ouray this summer. Near perfect vacation except for what I described 5 years back in this thread: the inability of two sets of nearby campers to respect others by keeping their 'camp tunes' to themselves. I say again, how much would it kill anybody to leave their music behind in the city for just a matter of days? But now with ever-better bluetooth technology, there is another solution for those obsessively /compulsively enslaved to listening to the same songs over and over, headphones. At least with that method, guys like me would be much less likely to be stuck with listening to long stretches of thoroughly unnatural sounds out in a place which never had the likes of that a decade or two ago.

hemifoot

Observer
i'm going to put this out there.music that others can hear is taboo,but running a generator to power your microwave/ac and charge your batteries for hours is ok? when the generator turns on,so does my bose soundlink 3.don't like thrash metal,or worse,country? i don't like listening to a generator.which is more offensive? the correct answer is a generator by a very large margin.

Last edited:

77blazerchalet

Former Chalet owner
... music that others can hear is taboo,but running a generator to power your microwave/ac and charge your batteries for hours is ok? when the generator turns on,so does my bose soundlink 3...
The correct answer is the generator is equally taboo, plus two wrongs don't make a right.

hemifoot

Observer
The correct answer is the generator is equally taboo, plus two wrongs don't make a right.
music is not wrong. you would go to the next camper and tell him to stop strumming his guitar and singing off key because it offends you? i'm sure that would go over well for you. what if they were camping there before you showed up? i'd tell you to move along if you don't like it.what about the guy out on the lake in his boat with his music going?

Last edited:

perterra

Adventurer
music is not wrong. you would go to the next camper and tell him to stop strumming his guitar and singing off key because it offends you? i'm sure that would go over well for you. what if they were camping there before you showed up? i'd tell you to move along if you don't like it.what about the guy out on the lake in his boat with his music going?

Actually I have done that, after hearing Michael row the boat ashore 15 times at 11 PM, I felt it needed doing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94