Camp shower advice needed

pluton

Adventurer
I have a Big Kahuna. It works, but you need to have a large-ish vessel to heat the water, and you have to have car electricity of course. Flow is barely adequate IMO, but IS adequate.
That Geyser system looks cool, but the 1 gallon capacity is a bit of a turnoff. I like that you can have the thermostatic heater plugged in to the car's power while you drive.

trae

Adventurer
I actually use the Nemo Helio LX and either leave it out in the sun to warm up or heat up some water on the stove and add it to the water already in the Helio. Works great! The Helio is also great for washing dishes.

What are your experiences with Helio? I'm seeing very mixed reviews online. Can it be filled 3/4 full and stuck into a crevasse somewhere in the vehicle or is it going to get destroyed?

What are your experiences with Helio? I'm seeing very mixed reviews online. Can it be filled 3/4 full and stuck into a crevasse somewhere in the vehicle or is it going to get destroyed?

I have the original helio , it’s pretty sturdy. I would go with the lx now though, it has a bigger opening for pouring hot water into.

pluton

Adventurer
I have the original Helio shower. The fill hole is too small and would require a funnel, which just slows down filling it. If they made the hole big enough to directly (quickly) pour hot water in...that'd be an improvement.
Also, plastic materials with seams that have been glued and welded have a limited lifespan and do not qualify as durable, IMO.

trae

Adventurer
I have the original Helio shower. The fill hole is too small and would require a funnel, which just slows down filling it. If they made the hole big enough to directly (quickly) pour hot water in...that'd be an improvement.
Also, plastic materials with seams that have been glued and welded have a limited lifespan and do not qualify as durable, IMO.

That's fair. The new XL has a bigger fill hole. I'm sure there's an expected lifetime for soft plastics..I'm sure they tested it and found it reasonbly robust.

brentbba

Explorer
Just back from first trip with the Helio Nemo shower enclosure and Helio small shower. Enclosure was easy up and down - liked it very much. I have to agree 100% with comments regarding the small fill hole on the shower. It's a PITA, period. I found using my small coffee pot with a pour spigot was about the only way w/o a funnel. Regarding the actual usage, it was fine for a camp shower. Pressure was adequate for a shower. Don't know how it would far if you were a muddy mess or covered in sand. I didn't fill the small version completely either time and had more than enough water for a camp shower. Overall I was pleased with both products and will either have to carry a funnel going forward or just heat the water in my coffee pot to pour it in w/o spilling!

pluton

Adventurer
I got a cheap radiator filler funnel for my small Nemo. It fits well, but I haven't field-tested it yet. I used the electrically-pumped Big Kahuna on the last two trips and it was adequate.

ArkansasDon

Observer
I use & modified a Zodi Hot Shower System. I changed out the 6v pump to a 12v. pump to it can be plugged into the tongue box of my overland trailer. I added a longer 12ft hose from the shower head to the actual Zodi heating system & 15ft. power cord. I also added Stansport propane cylinder base & everything still fits nicely in the original box.
035.JPG
003.JPG004.JPG005.JPG

Last edited:

CSG

Explorer
Some pretty fancy set-ups! For a long time, I just used a couple quart sized pop bottles with a screw on shower head. Gravity did the work. I bought a Waterport earlier this summer when they got Costco to carry them. Haven't tried it yet but I like that it holds 4 gallons and can ride in the hitch.

dcg141

Adventurer
I use & modified a Zodi Hot Shower System. I changed out the 6v pump to a 12v. pump to it can be plugged into the tongue box of my overland trailer. I added a longer 12ft hose from the shower head to the actual Zodi heating system. I also added Stansport propane cylinder base & everything still fits nicely in the original box.
View attachment 464285
I have pretty much this exact setup. I put the water container inside with me to add water and recirculate if its cold.

OCR addict

Get this!!! So great for showering.
All you need is a bottle of water and you are good to go. We are full timers on the road and use this everyday!! We also run OCR races all over the world and wouldn't be caught without this after a race. Called Shower Toga

Attachments

• 19885887_10154813993918231_1910531747_o.jpg
    19885887_10154813993918231_1910531747_o.jpg
    413.8 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_20180711_110338 (1).jpg
    IMG_20180711_110338 (1).jpg
    678.6 KB · Views: 85
I used one of those sprayers after reading this thread. Where did you get the nozzle on yours? I just have the one that comes stock.

brentbba

Explorer
I use & modified a Zodi Hot Shower System. I changed out the 6v pump to a 12v. pump to it can be plugged into the tongue box of my overland trailer. I added a longer 12ft hose from the shower head to the actual Zodi heating system. I also added Stansport propane cylinder base & everything still fits nicely in the original box.
View attachment 464285
Now that's a porta-privy! Separate shower and privy stalls! I've seen these - nice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles