Camp grilling ideas: beyond the great steak

DesertRose

Safari Chick & Supporting Sponsor
Yes, Scott, there are other species of protein.

Thought I'd start a recipes thread for camp grilling ideas that go beyond the throw-a-slab-of-beef-on-the-grill approach (though believe me, I think that is the ultimate meal - it's fun to try something else once in a while!).

Here's a great meal that is easy to prepare, a little different, and great for winter - warms you right up.

Sausage and Apples

2 Italian sausages, mild
1 ½ tablespoons butter
½ lb. Granny Smith or other tart apples, peeled and diced
¼ cup dry white wine (or use vermouth from your Martini fixings)
2 sprigs thyme, leaves (not absolutely necessary but nice and tasty if you have a thyme plant growing around the house!)
Seasoning, to individual taste

Grill or roast sausages until done. I prefer to roast mine in a big heavy cast iron skillet over the grill, giving the next step a little extra flavor.

Heat butter in the skillet, add apples, and saute until golden, about 5 min.
Deglaze with wine (fancy way of saying splash the cold wine in the pan and stir with spatula, scraping up the bits into a yummy sauce), fold in thyme, season to taste and cook about 3 minutes more.

Serve with sausages, a nice green salad (the bagged kind are great for camping), thick slices of garlic toast, and hearty German beer, English ale, or a delicious merlot.

BogusBlake

2006 Expedition Trophy Champion
On the last night of the ExPo trophy I cooked:

Lamb shoulder, dry rubbed with cracked black pepper, seared, then slow grilled to med. rare.

I sprinkled chopped fresh mint leaves on top and served with sliced fetta and plain hummus.

A Shiraz or Cabernet Sauvenion (sp?) complements the flavors of the mint and pepper.

Another of my favorites is:

Shrimp, peeled and deveined at home and transported in a freezer bag along with melted butter, pressed garlic, and chopped green onions. When I get to the campsite, I pour the mixture into an aluminum foil pouch, seal it up, and put it on the grill, turning it frequently until the shrimp are done. Serve on a bed of garlic & herb couscous.

Dang, now I'm hungry... :chowtime: :steak: :eatchicke

Clutch

<---Pass
Poblano chiles and meat

Brush poblano chile with olive oil, salt and pepper then roast, slice into quarters set aside.

Grill meat of choice. This works great on chicken, steak, pork chops, venison, buffalo, etc.

When meat is done place poblano and cheese (a mildly stinky cheese works great!) on top of meat. Wait until melted then serve.

Veggies in foil

Use veggies of choice (we like yellow squash and zucchini) with fresh garlic, onion, olive oil, butter, a little water, salt and pepper. Wrap in foil, place on grill should be done in about 20 minutes. Enjoy!

DesertRose

Sgt Grunt said:
Blue Cheese Pork Tenderloin...... :eatchicke of course all the wine and salad etc. that goes with it.

Ooo - that sounds good. Tenderloin stuffed with blue cheese?

DesertRose

BogusBlake said:
On the last night of the ExPo trophy I cooked:

Lamb shoulder, dry rubbed with cracked black pepper, seared, then slow grilled to med. rare.

I sprinkled chopped fresh mint leaves on top and served with sliced fetta and plain hummus.

A Shiraz or Cabernet Sauvenion (sp?) complements the flavors of the mint and pepper.

Another of my favorites is:

Shrimp, peeled and deveined at home and transported in a freezer bag along with melted butter, pressed garlic, and chopped green onions. When I get to the campsite, I pour the mixture into an aluminum foil pouch, seal it up, and put it on the grill, turning it frequently until the shrimp are done. Serve on a bed of garlic & herb couscous.

Dang, now I'm hungry... :chowtime: :steak: :eatchicke

Great ideas - the bagged shrimp marinade, then foil pouch idea is super. And I had a taste of your trophy event dinner - it was superb!

Not only a great driver and navigator, but a top cook, too.

I managed to snap a photo of your Trophy Camp Kitchen:

cool-camp.jpg

Scott Brady

Founder
DesertRose said:
Yes, Scott, there are other species of protein.

:confused: And what are these illusive creatures?

Actually, I do not discriminate against any form of protein. I will eat them all; regardless of sex, weight or country of origin... :elkgrin:

DesertRose

Just for you, Scott: the ultimate restaurant BBQ. Pick your meat, pick your part, and the chef grills it to perfection before your eyes. Slosh on a bit of berbere sauce (roasted chiles ground with spices like cinnamon, clove, cardamom). Drink with the local beer, with is excellent:

meat.jpg

In Arba Minch, Ethiopia

BogusBlake

DesertRose said:
Just for you, Scott: the ultimate restaurant BBQ. Pick your meat...

A friend of mine did a tour in the Mog' and on the way back, his unit made a stop in Kenya where he ate at a place called "The Carnivore"- He said they had ANY kind of meat he could imagine...

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Now I know what happened to my cat that ran away......:eatchicke

Of course I am joking.....I would never own a cat, and if I did, I certainly would not let a good chew-toy like that get away, Cherokee would be pissed!

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Did some cookin' in the desert this past weekend..

Some hotdogs for the lady.. she likes cooking them on the fire.. so they get burned crispy
2156837070034696539avxdsl1.jpg

Grilled some appetizers - shrimp on the barbie and some chicken wings.
2365792310034696539jmthju3.jpg

Tri tip served with fresh mash potatos from a box lol
2966843020034696539pnuqzu7.jpg

The rest was just the normal stuff.

BogusBlake

SOCALFJ said:
Tri tip served with fresh mash potatos from a box lol

Those Betty Crocker potatos in the box are the shiznit! They are so easy to make but add so much to the meal!

DesertRose

BogusBlake said:
A friend of mine did a tour in the Mog' and on the way back, his unit made a stop in Kenya where he ate at a place called "The Carnivore"- He said they had ANY kind of meat he could imagine...

Yes - it's famous! They have zebra, eland, warthog - you name it (except endangered/threatened). I have yet to go there (very expensive). Maybe next time!

rusty_tlc

Explorer
We do a lot of sides to go with our protien, here are a cople of our favorites;

Grilled eggplant:
Coat 1/2" slices of eggplant witgh olive oil, I use the spray stuff.
Salt and pepper
Add dry herbs of choice, we use McCormic Itilian mix.
Don't over cook, a couple of minutes for each side on high is enough. They get kind of slimey if you over do it.

Thus is so simple I'm almost embaressed to post it, but it's tasty as hell.
Grilled Acorn Squash:
Cut the top off the squash, clean out the seeds, cut into 1/2" thick "rings".
Spray a little olive oil on both sides S&P to taste. They will cook in about the same time as a London Broil or thick Porter House, 10 - 15 min per side. They shold be very dark on the outside, almost burnt. These are so sweet they are almost a desert.

Wala Wala on the grill, another easy one:
Cut off the top and bottom remove outside skin, top with a pat of butter S&P, wrap in foil. Cooking time varies with the size, cut bigger specimens in half. Red Brumudas work well for this too.

Damn! Anybody know how to get drool out of a keyboard?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles