Camp Cover Ammo Boxes

Anyone have any experience with Camp Cover Ammo Boxes? They look very similar to Frontrunner Wolf Packs. OK 4WD in NJ just started carrying them. Looks like they have been sold outside the US for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

outdoornate65

Adventurer
I haven't seen those before. Same price as the low top FR box. $13 more for the tall lids on FR.

Wonder how they would compare to the FR model?

Report back if you try them out please.

mpluto

Interesting. Look identical to FR. https://www.campcover.co.za/product/ammo-box-high-lid/

And per the FR site - "these are manufactured in South Africa."

I'd been contemplating buying some FR wolf packs. Opted to order 4 of these Camp Covers to check them out. $26 for the low lid. Ordered the FR roll up kitchen utensil set too that I'd been wanting to organize the kitchen gear. Will report back how these are.

Last edited:
Interesting. Look identical to FR. https://www.campcover.co.za/product/ammo-box-high-lid/

And per the FR site - "these are manufactured in South Africa."

I'd been contemplating buying some FR wolf packs. Opted to order 4 of these Camp Covers to check them out. $26 for the low lid. Ordered the FR roll up kitchen utensil set too that I'd been wanting to organize the kitchen gear. Will report back how these are.

Please report back when they arrive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
I have a couple of South African low lid ammo boxes (actually came full of ammo). They appear to be very similar to the FR and generic (e.g., Wolf Dog) boxes, but are dark brown and seem to be a bit sturdier. I suspect this design has been around long enough that it is now being produced in multiple factories with varying levels of quality.

mpluto

Please report back when they arrive.

Will do - they'll be here early next week (ground shipping from coast to coast).

@rayra - per FR, they are not intended to be sat on, the lids have a little structural support to them but very minimal. They will bow from what it sounds.

pluton

Adventurer
A friend has a couple of the the Front Runner ones. The thin plastic latches are the thing that'd keep me from buying them.

luckyjoe

Adventurer
I've been using the FR thin plastic latches for close to 10 years. I also bough their replacement metal wire latches, as a back-up, and those still sit in their original bag, in my spare parts kit. Go figure...

mpluto

Boxes showed up today. Admittedly, I've not looked super close at the FR boxes (e.g. hands on, played with the latches, etc.) so over analyzing these might not be a fair comparison. So I need to take a closer look next time I'm at the local shop that carries them. What I can say, they appear to be identical molds.

Potential differences -
1) "Finish" - these showed up a bit less "polished" - I've not wiped them off to see if it's just dust. This is not at all important to me so if it's blemishes in the plastic, who cares. They are going to get beat up in the truck bed anyway.

2) Latches - 3 of the latches appear to be a bit more snug than the 4th, it latches but is super easy to unlatch. All 4 are very easy to unlatch, so not sure if the latches are different on FR vs. these; I'm not really concerned they will fail - just was surprised given feedback in this thread and elsewhere about how snug the latches are on the FR boxes.

3) Logos - obviously they have a Camp Cover and OK4WD logo painted on vs. FR logo.

Pretty happy for $26. Time will tell.

Those look really good for the price. Are those holes facing the camera? I know the front runner version has drain holes. I figured I will plug them for my uses.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mpluto

There are holes on the sides but they don’t go into the inside of the box. Same as FR. the drain holes on the bottom are tiny. Unless submerged or water sprayed at the underside just right I doubt water is getting inside. There’s a video FR posted showing the water resistance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles