Camp Cocktail Table: Hand Crafted and Dual Purpose

articulate

Expedition Leader

Okay, so this camp cocktail table has another purpose; a kid's eating place.

I was camped with Wil and his little family, as well as my wife and daughter, over New Years Eve. Wil whipped out this little camp table by GCI that was absolutely perfect for kids. Only about 20" tall, maybe less. Getting the little toddlers to eat is hard enough most of the time. But they just dig having something of their own. Chloe and "FlyingBaby" did a fantastic job of pounding their meals at their very own little table.

However, GCI discontinued the table. So I set out to make my own. Once the kids go to sleep, the table makes a perfectly fine campfire cocktail table.

cocktail_table%202.jpg

Crafted out of Ipe from South America, the table is going to be extremely weather resistant and durable. I've finished it with exterior wood finish by Deft, and that not only boosts the wood's ability to shed water but also makes it extra beautiful. The design, I think you'll agree, is simple and practical.

Like several other camp tables, the legs screw into a slatted table top that also has a pair of 'cross slats' that somewhat form the backbone. I've installed threaded brass inserts to accept hanger bolts that I put into the end of each leg.

Here's the full gallery with captions, but here are the highlights you might like to see without clicking:

cocktail_table%206.jpg

cocktail_table%208.jpg

cocktail_table%2012.jpg

Your thoughts?

Cheers,
Mark

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
Wow, Mark, that is outstanding. I can't wait to see this little table in person ;)

I'm really impressed with the craftsmanship. Nice work.

RgrBox

Adventurer
That's a great table.. you need to show us how you made it..

RB

BTW.. that little one of yours is very cute..

I miss it when mine were so young..

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
Nice! I like it! :victory:
The natural finish really makes the grain stand out.

safari.gif

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Mark, That is really, really nice!
I have too many projects.
Must resist.....

Lynn

Expedition Leader
That's a gorgeous table. :drool:

It would look right at home between a couple of Roorkee Campaign Chairs.

Roorkhee-Chair.jpg

:coffee:

Mark, that is absolutely beautiful. That table shows quality and pride. Ipe is an outstanding choice indeed. Thanks for sharing.

I wish there were production tables like that one.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
This is the second owner fabricated table that I've recently seen posted here. Makes me want to set aside metal fab for a bit and build one since we could really use it!

I'm interested in suggestions for a more commonly available hardwood. I realize that it could be built from anything starting with Pine on up to something exotic, but what I'd like to know is which species would be most optimum for this use. I'm not a stranger to wood work, it's just been years since I did much of it.

articulate

Expedition Leader
I'm interested in suggestions for a more commonly available hardwood. I realize that it could be built from anything starting with Pine on up to something exotic, but what I'd like to know is which species would be most optimum for this use. I'm not a stranger to wood work, it's just been years since I did much of it.
You're asking the right guy. For the most part, any wood will work, but how you choose to protect matters just as much. I'd suggest ash. I almost made it out of that one, but decided to use ipe (in part because of my job and getting experience with more species). Ash is, in general, on the low end of cost but it's still hard and stable - Roger Maris clobbered his 61 homers with an ash baseball bat. White oak would be another good choice for this table. Here's a piece I wrote about hardwoods for outdoor projects if you want some other info.

I do agree that a production table this size would be nice. Maybe there is, but it's a hell of a lot of fun to build it. Definitely not less costly, though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles