Camp Chef Mountaineer Stove

dcg141

Adventurer
I don't know what type of fitting you guys a calling a compression fitting but you are not supposed to use compression fittings for gas. flare fittings or pipe fittings only for gas. highdesertranger
Yea something got me to doing some research on that and you are correct. I did do a leak test but I'm going back to the original hose assy. Far as I can tell none of the camp stove fittings have adapters because I'm sure they don't want you bypassing the regulator.

Last edited:

dcg141

Adventurer
Where did you find the fitting for the stove? I'm trying to set up a quick connect for my camp chef everest
I made it from several parts and ended up using a compression fitting and have since found out your not supposed to use them with gas. I'm back to using the original hose and regulator. All the quick connect fitting are standard pipe thread and available on Amazon. The problem is converting from that stove fitting to pipe thread. Its that way with all the camp stoves as far as I can tell.

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
Posted this on another Partner Steel thread. Mountaineer was discontinued but seems to have been tweaked and re-released. Not much info and only two reviews I can see on the Camp CHef website:

Looks like it's back. Perhaps improved? Note the reviews and the square valve holes:

https://www.campchef.com/camp-stoves/camp-chef-mountaineer-2-burner-aluminum-stove.html

Unless it comes in lower, it's actually MORE expensive than a Partner. Can somebody prime me to the super top secret "High Pressure" regulator mod for Partner stove to put out more heat? I have a Texsport 20k (each) stove and have become addicted to the power when needed. Only thing is the burners are very wide so hard to use on narrow pots.

Reactions: plh

kathleenmelissa

Ordered three stoves. One arrived already dented they are supposed to be self-lighting, but by day 2 we were back to using independent butane lighters. If it weren’t for the necessity of the high BTU to boil dishwater on a Grand Canyon trip, I’d say save your money and buy a Coleman.

Last edited:

alia176

Explorer
Ordered three stoves. One arrived already dented they are supposed to be self-lighting, but by day 2 we were back to using independent butane lighters. If it weren’t for the necessity of the high BTU to boil dishwater on a Grand Canyon trip, I’d say save your money and buy a Coleman.

You ordered three of which stoves? The Mountaineer stove isn't on their site so I"m curious what you're referring to!

Joanne

Adventurer
I just received an email that they are back in stock. I ordered one and will be doing a couple of reviews of it. I've used my Weekender (now discontinued) for close to 15 years and it's been a work horse. The only reason I've ordered the Mountaineer is because the Weekender low pressure burners get blown out by even moderate gusts of wind, which we have all the time in the desert southwest. Hopefully the high pressure burners of the Mountaineer will work better. Only time will tell.

Sikocycles

Adventurer
I got mine a few weeks ago. Nice stove but almost too powerful. Wish one burner was 10k.
made a set of adjustable legs for the table.

Attachments

• 00018926-E868-4E95-9D6F-428D6D1A7D4C.jpeg
    00018926-E868-4E95-9D6F-428D6D1A7D4C.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 86
  • 24E3E8F9-0D19-4FDA-B83C-0E9C97B365B4.jpeg
    24E3E8F9-0D19-4FDA-B83C-0E9C97B365B4.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 82

HouseVVares

I'm not really much of a chef but we have been using a Coleman 424 however my wife was liking to idea of switching to propane. The Mountaineer recently came back into production so I went for it. I've only played around with it in the backyard but so far I'm really liking it. I have seen older comments questioning the build quality but my opinion on this stove is it is very nicely built. I agree it seems to have a lot of power, especially coming from my old Coleman. The other thing that maybe should have been more obvious to me but I didn't really grasp until I had it in front of me is the size is also quite a bit larger. Not a bad thing, just I'll need to tweak my packing plan for how to carry it. But so far I am really liking it and will be fun to see how things go after a couple trips later this year.

alia176

Explorer
This is good to know, thank you for letting us know. May I have the link where you acquired your stove please?

HouseVVares

I lack patience sometimes so I just ordered from the Camp Chef website. I didn't spend too much time shopping around. I also wanted to grab the leg kit and the small propane tank adaptor. Some of the other resellers did not have all three things listed as available. But they were all on the Camp Chef site;

I had seen some outdated pages from REI selling the older versions, so that might be possible but I'm not currently seeing it offered.

BlueVajra

I just got one of these from REI, and while I like it, it got pretty scratched up on our first trip. Anyone have any leads on any cases?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles