Camp Chair Recommendations

PlacidWaters

Adventurer
I believe I posted in this thread some time ago but here's an update on my thoughts about chairs. I started out with a 25-year-old webbed lawn chair that probably cost $5 at the time. I graduated to a Helinox Sunset chair, which seemed good but too narrow in the waist area. Lost a lot of weight and the Sunset fit better. Got tired up unpacking and packing the Sunset chair and starting simplifying my gear. Most recently, I went back to the old lawn chair! I find it as comfortable as anything else I've tried, though I do add a padded folding hiking seat for comfort. Instructions: (1) Remove chair from vehicle. (2) Open and place on ground. (3) Sit and think about all the money you've saved by not buying a Helinox or Kermit chair.

. . . However, you can't really lounge in a lawn chair. So this summer I got a hammock and learned to set it up properly. Now THAT is heavenly and I highly recommend it for napping, reading, and hanging out.

TantoTrailers

Going to try the Alps Escape Chair next...the search continues.
I am very happy with the Alps Escape chairs! I am using them without the foot rests and these are just what I was looking for...laid back but tall enough to easily get in and out of without having to sit on the ground.

Mgyver1

Observer
I went with a Helinox Sunset just due to needing to save weight and space. They’re lighter and smaller than my regular folding camp chairs. Yes they’re more of a pain to set up, but after a few times it gets pretty fast (Or I’ve forgotten how fast other chairs are!).

I think it’s pretty comfy, and they have a beach version which is the same frame just different legs so it’s closer to the ground with fatter feet for the sand.

I also have the Helinox knockoff, Cascade Mountain Tech. They don't have the same stability or quality as the Helinox, but I don’t think the Helinox is $100+ better. If you do go Helinox definitely shop around for a sale or use an REI 20% coupon to help soften the blow.

Last edited:

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I believe I posted in this thread some time ago but here's an update on my thoughts about chairs. I started out with a 25-year-old webbed lawn chair that probably cost $5 at the time. I graduated to a Helinox Sunset chair, which seemed good but too narrow in the waist area. Lost a lot of weight and the Sunset fit better. Got tired up unpacking and packing the Sunset chair and starting simplifying my gear. Most recently, I went back to the old lawn chair! I find it as comfortable as anything else I've tried, though I do add a padded folding hiking seat for comfort. Instructions: (1) Remove chair from vehicle. (2) Open and place on ground. (3) Sit and think about all the money you've saved by not buying a Helinox or Kermit chair.

. . . However, you can't really lounge in a lawn chair. So this summer I got a hammock and learned to set it up properly. Now THAT is heavenly and I highly recommend it for napping, reading, and hanging out.
I had those chairs for ages and would re-web them from time to time. Nice aluminum armrests. We had a chaise lounge too.

bear100

Oztent king Goanna chairs for me, they are plenty big enough, comfortable and have a few features like pouches, cup holders adjustable back strap padded head rest etc, and they are very strong and well made.

I just retired my Ozark trail I have had for like 5 years. Got another Ozark trail. Oversized with a small cooler on it. Means I open the cooler less for the brewskies

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
We just buy the cheap Walmart ones. When they’re done, save the legs for fire poker duty. If you leave the screw in the middle of the leg you can even use it to pick up / rotate logs in the fire. Reduse, reuse recycle! Lol

Last edited:

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Got rid of those and bought a pair of every-day camping chairs from Walmart (or was it Canadian Tire?) for about $50/each. Large packed form-factor, but 10x more comfortable, and the built-in, folding side tables are very welcome to have. No ExpoAF points, but cheap, simple, and works great.
That was my train of thought as well.

CSG

Explorer
I always liked the oversized folding sling chairs with at least one cupholder and sling arms. I think out last pair were from Walmart and have held up for 15 or so years. I also have a pair of Helinox knockoffs from Trekology with the sand covers. Not nearly as comfortable but small and easy to transport away from the LX. Holding up fins so far and leg height is adjustable.

s.e.charles

.... I also have the Helinox knockoff, Cascade Mountain Tech. They don't have the same stability or quality as the Helinox, but I don’t think the Helinox is $100+ better. If you do go Helinox definitely shop around for a sale or use an REI 20% coupon to help soften the blow.
anyone have an opinion on this chair: Amazon.com : Cascade Mountain Tech Camping Chair - Low Profile Folding Chair for Camping, Beach, Picnic, Barbeques, Sporting Event with Carry Bag, Black : Sports & Outdoors thanks

i want a low chair so i can also use it in my truck cap.

Honu

lost on the mainland
anyone have experience with this chair: Amazon.com : ALPS Mountaineering Rendezvous Chair, Ocean/Charcoal (8013941) : Sports & Outdoors

going to go through this thread over the weekend, but i wanted to get opinions on the ALPS above; thanks
Not direct that chair
I have had alps chairs they held up well and were all well made comfy
I do have two of those types (look like clones) that are the older REI versions and I think one had a stitch issue but for a low chair they are comfy and have nice support without cutting into the body anywhere
downside of course is the pack size and weight compared to the helinox type chairs out these days
not sure if that helps ? But reckon if you are prime member safe buy

s.e.charles

the chair would pretty much live in the back of my truck for the warmer months so weight won't be a concern. helpful to know that fit is okay; thanx

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles