Camp Chair Recommendations

burningac1d

My criteria is how much weight does it carry, how compact it is and how much does it weigh. Currently, I use the KingCamp Folding Camping Chair bought from online review. Using it for two years now, it’s a reclining chair, therefore one can use it while eating at the table, very comfortable next to the campfire and almost flat for a great Sunday afternoon nap (if you have the luxury of time available). Light and reasonably compact!

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
After a couple of months of testing I've decided that nothing can compare with a Kermit Chair. Choose oak vs walnut.

When you get it you must go through the entire chair and apply blue Locktite to all screws and nuts (while adding a double nut where possible).

If you will spend the money and do the work...you will be done. Small, light, rugged camp chair problem complete.

bear100

I just bought 2 Oztent King Goanna chairs

They are really well made and very comfy with a few little pockets and can holders. £80 each so not the cheapest and and the most expensive, only gripe would be they don’t pack down that well

TantoTrailers

I have the lightest Helonix for packing (bike, yak, back) and it also is a nice chair inside of my camper where my head doesnt touch the ceiling. That with the cot and 3 people can sit inside of my little 5x6.5' inside cabin space. For the longest time I have owned the Alps Mountaineering Getaway Chairs and they work great, fold up small, sit back comfortably but they are a PITA to get out of. I'm not terribly old but I destroyed both knees and had some surgeries on them so I went in search of a new chair. After lots of looking, I decided to give this one from Amazon a try...not a known brand to me but it seems like it will fit the bill for what I need; reclined back, fold small(ish), and be taller sitting position than the Alps. I get it Wednesday and I am headed out this weekend so it will get tested.

The Kermit chair is by far the best camp chair I’ve owned. Great back support and comfort.

My only complaint is they don’t make a taller version. I have the leg extensions, but they occasionally fall off when picking up/moving the chair. I’m tempted to through drill the extensions and legs and use a lock pin.

TantoTrailers

I have the lightest Helonix for packing (bike, yak, back) and it also is a nice chair inside of my camper where my head doesnt touch the ceiling. That with the cot and 3 people can sit inside of my little 5x6.5' inside cabin space. For the longest time I have owned the Alps Mountaineering Getaway Chairs and they work great, fold up small, sit back comfortably but they are a PITA to get out of. I'm not terribly old but I destroyed both knees and had some surgeries on them so I went in search of a new chair. After lots of looking, I decided to give this one from Amazon a try...not a known brand to me but it seems like it will fit the bill for what I need; reclined back, fold small(ish), and be taller sitting position than the Alps. I get it Wednesday and I am headed out this weekend so it will get tested.

Well the Amazon chairs went back, they were way too bulky folded down. They also have this soft fleece back which is white and will get filthy around the camp fire in no time. I ordered a pair of REI Camp Chair Xs to see how those stack up.

Mucker

I have enjoyed the strongback chair for years, but must admit that it doesn't pack up very small.

I am thinking of trying the Nemo Stargazer. Any feedback on it?

inexplorata

I've just become an Alps King Kong chair guy. Designed for more than twice my weight, it's truly luxurious. I'm rather ruined for my old chairs now, frankly.

Edit: apparently it's rated for waaaay more than twice my weight. Regardless, super solid and some quality slouching room available

dcg141

Adventurer
I sat in one of these last week at a Sportsman's Warehouse and it was really comfortable. Like something at home comfortable. It does not pack down very small so its going to take up some room but I'm still considering a couple. Gear Guide Oversize

TantoTrailers

REI Camp Chair-X's are going back too...backs are too low but they do fold down enough to fit in my tongue box. I will probably just get 2 more Alps Getaway Chairs.

Whaler

Adventurer
Another vote for KERMIT! So solid and stable that you can lean on one armrest with your entire body weight to aid getting in and out as easily as any camp chair I've ever used. It feels more like campaign furniture than a camp chair. I own other chairs (helinox, crazy creeks, etc.) and only ever use them when they get loaned out to friends.

KERMIT is worth the money.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
I have a pair of chairs I purchased from REI well over a decade ago and they just keep us smiling. Yes, the form factor when packed is a little bigger maybe than say the Pico but they are far more comfortable and durable (on my 2nd warrantied Pico after the first one exploded after only a few uses). My REI units, dropped by REI many years ago, are almost identical to the below linked @locrwln found while searching for same. Whenever there is a group of us camping together and when I get up and come back...somebody is always sitting in my chair :D...instead of whatever they brought...including their Kermit!

The Summer Sales variant on Amazon is slightly larger, utilizes larger aluminum tubing and, although not pictured, comes with arm covers made of the same matching fabric as the body of the chair.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
The Kermit chair is by far the best camp chair I’ve owned. Great back support and comfort.

My only complaint is they don’t make a taller version. I have the leg extensions, but they occasionally fall off when picking up/moving the chair. I’m tempted to through drill the extensions and legs and use a lock pin.
I've hard-mounted the leg extensions.

I bought the pair of chairs a long time ago when we had a motorcycle and two MINI Coopers. They were the only strong chairs I could find to fit in bike's saddlebags.
Fast forward to now and they almost never get disassembled. But they're still comfortable.
Kermit has replaced broken parts through the years at no charge, not even shipping.

PlacidWaters

Adventurer
I am thinking of trying the Nemo Stargazer. Any feedback on it?

I was at a major outdoor gear store and saw the Stargazer on the floor. I was about to try it out when a salesman said to me, "I don't advise sitting in that. A woman sat it in last week and it toppled over and she fell on the floor." Wish I could tell you more, but that's all I know!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94