Camp Chair Recommendations

OneFastGeek

Observer
Wife and I really like these ALPS chairs. We've been using them for 2 seasons and no problems. They were $49 when I bought them and if I needed another chair or two, I'd purchase them again.

242417.jpg

I like the bag straps too.

242417.jpg

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Go old-school and find some $5 folding lawn chairs (garage sales) - aluminum frames (lightweight), fold flat (I would think 5 would easily fit inside the volume you noted) and nobody'll steal 'em.

Here's some Craigslist ones near me - HANDWOVEN MACRAME - you'd be the talk of the town.....

View attachment 410859

I won a new version of one of these at a raffle and it's now my go to chair. The Strongback chair wound up broken and in the dumpster after a year. The two Kermit chairs I have are more of a nifty gadget. They take too much time to set up and take down if all you are doing is lunch. I have a Campaingn Furnature chair and a Rorkie (?) safari chair with the same problem as a the Kermit. If I was buying today I'd grab the $8.99 wallmart chairs and throw them in the dumpster after a year or if I had the room I'd buy a marine deck chair. https://www.wholesalemarine.com/gar...MIlf3_3qKn1QIVBYN-Ch3ykQ6WEAQYAiABEgLji_D_BwE
Nice thing about this deck chair is that the back is enclosed. We sit up wind of the campfire and with an open back the wind freezes you unless you throw your wool blanket over it. There are other companies that make them. They are strong and comphy enough to use in ruff water while fighting a fish.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
We have the FrontRunner chairs and really like them. A friend got a similar chair in green from Campmor.

thefishhawk

Adventurer
The frontrunner chairs are the older version of the GCI Xpress chairs before they changed them. They used to come with a case with backpack straps. I bought 4 about 10 years ago and have replaced two in that time. Super durable and sturdy since they are mostly metal, but that also makes them heavy. Ours mainly go camping, on river trips and soccer games, the backpack cases are nice for that. The water and sand beat them up on river trips and they keep going strong. The only place we've had the couple break have been in the joint of the lower legs since there's a plastic sleeve in between the inner and outer leg poles. If that breaks you are hosed or what happened is if it snaps, then you end up bending the chair right there. Sometimes you can bend it back. But if things don't line up you can't collapse the chair and then it's pretty much done.

It's also pretty funny to try to watch someone who isn't a puzzle solver and isn't familiar try to break the chair back down, I've seen it outsmart a few people, even though it seems super easy.

I can't stand those normal walmart chairs that feel like you are sitting in a bucket, these director chairs have been really good. I think when I need to replace one or two of these, I'll probably keep the old cases and get the frontrunners, I haven't tried the newer version of the GCI where the back is attached to the seat. It's a bummer they got rid of the pockets on the sides.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
Kijaro Dual-Lock chairs. Similar to the ARB chairs. $40. But on sale at Cabelas now for $28. They got the acid test this week on a camping excursion to n. ala. Sat in one for 3 hours reading before I got up the 1st time.
+1 on the Kijaro Dual Lock... I have the XXL version which is rated at 400 lbs, most comfortable camp chair I have had.

Honu

lost on the mainland
Helinox or kermit

I have helinox and going to be selling my older smaller ones as we have the newer larger ones which are still really smalll compared to normal chairs and IMHO just as comfy as most and a few really big full size ones a touch more comfy but the fact those large chairs take up the same size weight as 4 helinox ? for me its no comparison :) the savings in space and weight is so so so huge and well worth it

I compared the helinox to REI and some other ones a long time ago and found the helinox way nicer

Xacave

I had the King Goanna zero gravity chair https://10restbest.com/best-zero-gravity-chair from Oztent and found them to be too upright no matter how much I adjusted them.
Eventually sold them and bought nice wide, light weight campmaster ones, much more comfy.
As someone said, go to Makro & try a wide range out, and go to 4x4 mega world & try the Goanna as well, most ppl like them, I'm just not most ppl
smiley.gif

Last edited:

kdeleon

Observer
Helinox or kermit

I have helinox and going to be selling my older smaller ones as we have the newer larger ones which are still really smalll compared to normal chairs and IMHO just as comfy as most and a few really big full size ones a touch more comfy but the fact those large chairs take up the same size weight as 4 helinox ? for me its no comparison :) the savings in space and weight is so so so huge and well worth it

I compared the helinox to REI and some other ones a long time ago and found the helinox way nicer

We started with the traditional-style camp chairs sized for kids we got from Costco (keeps us motivated to fit our butt in there). It is surprisingly sturdy and had it for years, we stopped bringing adult-sized chairs. But i am trying to shave as much weight as i can and found Helinox. So we grabbed two of the small camp chairs early this year. Of course, my two boys end up sitting on there while my wife and I are back in the kids chairs. So we recently decided to get two of the large chairs head rest is a big plus).

A friend has a Kermit and loves it. It looks more sophisticated, and priced a bit more than the Helinox. Not that the Helinox is cheap either, coming from my Costco chairs. Neithe comes with a beer holder though, big minus. Even my costco kid chairs have them!

Fronty2011

Oztent has some of their chairs for half off right now. We got two of the Jet Tent Pilot DLX chairs on the way.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Mgyver1

Observer
I have a strongback chair. It's really nice and I can feel the lumbar support, but it's enormous when packed. For that single reason I don't take it much and end up using my Helinox 99% more.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

I actually ended up getting a Helinox Sunset chair and having that small packed size has been very useful.

Fronty2011

The Jet Tent Pilot DLX chairs got delivered but are going back. They are well built and nice chairs but seem to have the issue where the front part of the seat pushes on the underside of your leg and is uncomfortable. I tried to adjust them every way but nothing worked. I am 6'1", my wife is about 5'7" and it was worse for her but her feet did not touch the ground. Now I have to figure out how to return them, they give no instructions on their site.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles