Camp Chair Recommendations

bluebruin

Adventurer
I was wondering what type of camp chairs you all use and recommend? I am rebuilding my expo/overland trailer and I'm planning the storage compartment sizes. One of those is ear-marked for camp chairs. I'd like to buy something new and make the compartment to fit them.

I have 4 people in my family, but will probabl buy one extra chair.

my initial requirements:
1. sturdy and will hold up last for years
2. folds up small. I am hoping to fit 5 in about a 18x24x36 drawer compartment.
3. would love something spark resistant since they always get left out by the fire...
4. quick drying would be great, but I'd sacrifice for spark resistant
5. weight is not really a primary concern
6. don't care about extra features like arm rests, foot rests, side tables, reclining, rockers, etc Just basic chairs that meet the above are best.
7. don't want to spend $100 per chair....

Thanks!

tlin

Adventurer
Go old-school and find some $5 folding lawn chairs (garage sales) - aluminum frames (lightweight), fold flat (I would think 5 would easily fit inside the volume you noted) and nobody'll steal 'em.

Here's some Craigslist ones near me - HANDWOVEN MACRAME - you'd be the talk of the town.....

Macrame!.jpg

stingray1300

Explorer
I have tried a bunch of different camp chairs out there. My bad back doesn't help matters. Coleman, REI, yada yada yada. 2 years ago I was in St George Utah and sat in a Strongback chair. -I was 'home'. It is the only camp chair with a lumbar support. Sturdy as all get out. The seat angle sets you back into the chair, into the lumbar support. It is way more comfy than the zero-gravity chairs my wife made me buy the year before.

Kerensky97

Xterra101
One thing I think greatly improves a chair that is overlooked is padding/insulation on the back and butt.

On those mountain or late season trips when you're sitting around the fire your front is warm but your butt gets icy.

I always had to drape a blanket over the chair to insulate the back, but now I have a chair with a little padding and it makes a huge difference in comfort to keep my butt warm around the fire.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I am doing chair shopping as well. The Front Runner chair is on my short list. I am also seriously considering the Kermit Chair: http://www.kermitchair.com

main.jpg

another_mike

Adventurer
I am doing chair shopping as well. The Front Runner chair is on my short list. I am also seriously considering the Kermit Chair: http://www.kermitchair.com

main.jpg

$160?! Oh, I see, its designed by a BMW motorcyclist.... Can I have the Honda version that lasts longer for half the price? :bike_rider:

I have tried a bunch of different camp chairs out there. My bad back doesn't help matters. Coleman, REI, yada yada yada. 2 years ago I was in St George Utah and sat in a Strongback chair. -I was 'home'. It is the only camp chair with a lumbar support. Sturdy as all get out. The seat angle sets you back into the chair, into the lumbar support. It is way more comfy than the zero-gravity chairs my wife made me buy the year before.

Im liking how the lumbar and back angle looks on this chair. Also like the return policy from their website:

Q: What is the warranty?

We have a 100% Guaranty Return Policy. There is a full 1 year warranty on all STRONGBACK Chairs purchased through this website if the chair is defective or breaks for any reason. You have an entire year and can choose between a new chair or a full refund - we will cover return shipping too.

If you order a chair that is in perfect condition but want to return for a different reason you have 30 days to do so - so make sure you try it immediately to ensure it is right for you! In these instances, you will need to pay for return shipping.

Please read Guarantee -Return page for full details and instructions.

Last edited:

Biker Eagle

Observer
Kijaro Dual-Lock chairs. Similar to the ARB chairs. $40. But on sale at Cabelas now for $28. They got the acid test this week on a camping excursion to n. ala. Sat in one for 3 hours reading before I got up the 1st time.

More space conscious is the Kermit chair. Five would definitely store in a small space as you described, but they're over $100. My Kermit chair is now 27 years old and will probably outlive me.

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
I'm a fairly good size guy at 6'-1" and 240 (minimal fat). I need a chair that can hold me AND last a number of years. Recommendations?

Junkinduck

Observer
I have these and they have performed very well over the last three years.

https://www.idealtruevalue.com/stor...3rGW434K4UKPoe3GzBkzTbN3ryR-TB_4aAi2WEALw_wcB

I'm a fairly good size guy at 6'-1" and 240 (minimal fat). I need a chair that can hold me AND last a number of years. Recommendations?

This chair from the local true value has held me up for three years. 6' 6" and 280# to 300# depending on the season and it holds me well. It is comfortable and has mesh in the seat and back so it is cooler. best of all it is between 20.00 and 30.00 dollars.

Loubaru

Adventurer
Picked these up.

Quality stuff. Definitely some of the more comfortable chairs I've sat in, and very beefy, too. Each one is at least 10lbs. They pack up into nice, manageable sizes.

A pocket on each side, plus a drink holder pocket on the right. The bottom cushion/pad is a bit shorter than I would have preferred, but not bad. Being in the cases is great - will prevent rattling, rubbing on stuff and damaging items they come in contact with.

I've been using these chairs for a 2-3 years now and love them. Good compromise of price vs. quality and they are much more comfortable than your typical camp chairs. Other than smelling a little smoky from camp fires they have held up fine. I didn't know they made cases for them though, I'll have to pick those up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles