Camp bed time, what’s your set up

billiebob

Build a real room. Put in a full size bed. Layer sleeping bags. Keep a door open.
Park, roll into bed.

Rain in the morning, roll out of bed, drive away.
Zero setup.

Kmann

I just picked up this new sleeping pad from Nemo. Haven't slept on it yet but it looks promising. There are two sizes.

Frogprince

Observer
Being 6'9" and over 300lbs it was tough to find a something that would work. RTTs where nice but to much hassle with going up and down the ladder at night for my wife and space was cramped at best.

We purchased a tent and are using Teton XXL Cots with their pad, and bags. Rated for up to 600lbs and I can lay down and be comfortable since they are basically 7' long. With their bag and pad they are very comfortable more so than anything I had in a RTT.

R4D4R

Another for MegaMat! I bought it a few years ago for myself as I was the only one going out. I think Ive used it once since. Now my daughter comes with me and I use my Thermarest Trail Pro. Its OK but not as comfy as the Megamat. My wife came camping with us for the first time and she loved it too. Another one may be in my future. Its big, but way worth it. Unless you are backpacking, the extra money is worth the good sleep.
If you are on a budget, I would also recommend the Trail Pro. If the Megamat is a 10/10, the Trail Pro is a 8/10. Not quite as comfy and a little thinner, but I still sleep pretty good on it

FAW3

Adventurer
There are times I tent, times I hammock, and then times in "the Ritz" (as I call my truck camping set up). Main concepts are flexibility and simplicity: I can go from an empty truck bed to "go camping mode" in about 15 minutes. Also I store my basic truck camping gear in the bins all the time...grab them out of my garage and load & go. My Leer 180 cap offers screened windows and about 5 inches more headroom than a cab roof level cap. I've installed a USB port, LED lighting, and fan.

Good sleeping: Roll-a-cot, Thermarest pad, sleeping bag. Very comfortable set up.

uI3WPU0m.jpg

CG2EX0Wm.jpg

old_CWO

I have started throwing a regular twin mattress in the back of my truck for sleeping in the camper shell. If the weather is warm to moderate, I even use sheets and blankets instead of a sleeping bag. Absolutely the best camping bed set up I have ever used.

dbhost

Until my truck engine rebuild and custom camper are done, I have / will be continuing to have the following setup.

I am 6' and when I bought the following, I was over 400lbs, I have dropped a considerable amount, but still need bedding that will hold over 300lbs of me, plus my wife, so...

#1. Swiss Gear Appenzell 10x20 3 room tent with a 7' center height. I had a 12x10 Coleman SunDome that I loaned to a good friend to take with his kids scout camping, and I don't want to task for it back, and my wife more or less won't camp without a roomy tent. This is a seriously too large tent for us, but my wife loves it.
#2. A pair of Entex Double High Twin air mattresses, with patch kit and Coleman 4D pump. They are built identical to the queen which has a rating of 600lbs, but are simply narrower, so far no letdown.
#3. I will call this just my CPAP rig. A 20qt clear plastic tote to use as storage / night stand, my travel CPAP, and my Everstart jump starter box...
#4. Depending on the time of year, either a stack of mexican blankets, or a few mexican blankets and a 30 degree Coleman king size sleeping bag. Durign the winter months, I lay down several mexican blankets between me, and the air bed to insulate me from the bed. I am seriously considering adding a memory foam pad to help further the insulation as air mattresses are known to sleep cool. This is nice in summer / spring / fall in the south. The winters not so much.
#5. Coleman 5-8K BTU heater in winter, OR 5K BTU window unit AC and stand. This stuffs up against the side window of the tent, and the intake / inside part protected from rain by the rainfly... I can't sleep at all well when I am hot and sweaty...
#6. Pillows. I gotta have a comfortable pillow...

If I were to list my camping gear, it might seem a bit excessive, however there are 2 issues to take into consideration. I am getting older and need some level of medical security, and more importantly, my wife likes LOTs of comfort...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles