Camp BBQ decisions... please provide feedback

vhram

Observer
Driving home this morning there was a garage sale so we stopped and I spotted and picked up a Woodflame delecto BBQ http://www.woodflameusa.com Ive seen these around before but didnt want to spend $300.00 on one. Picked it up for $2.00 as in 2 bucks . For $2.00 ill gladly add it to my toy inventory.:wings:

Scott Brady

Founder
I am very happy with the Snow Peak BBQ box. It will fit in a pelican case (1550), along with a small bag of coals.

Like this...
2684754684_3129179e2d.jpg

You may also want to consider the Pit-2-Go.

In use:

firepit_logo.gif

I think Mario uses that one. It does look simple, sturdy and reliable. I will check it out.

Woodflame delecto BBQ http://www.woodflameusa.com Ive seen these around before but didnt want to spend $300.00 on one. Picked it up for $2.00 as in 2 bucks . For $2.00 ill gladly add it to my toy inventory.:wings:

Those things are crazy! Never heard of them before
delecto.jpg

The company claims it will get to 62,000 BTU's... very interesting, but not my cup'a'tea $$$$:)

targa88

Explorer
I have been using a Cobb grill - compact and versatile (comes with a number of different cooking accessories: griddle, fry pan, wok, grill). Maybe not the fastest grill in the west! Cooks with a nice smokey flavour. Does not require a lot of fuel (briquets or wood) - which was the basis/origin of the design. The inner moat design allows you to cook vegetables in the moat while cooking the meat on the grill.
The only things that I have not experimented with yet is cooking: pasta & rice.
Very satisfied.

CanuckMariner/Nomad

Love having fun 😊 in the 🌞 by the ⛵ and the ⏳
The Cobb BBQ which seems cool, but once we cross the border to cental and south American countries I am not sure if briquettes are widely available.

Cobb.JPG

Anyone have ideas about these or other recommendations.

Thanks.

Briquettes for the COBB, one bag 5KG has lasted me 2 years using 2-2 briquettes per meal.

MikenBama

yet another grill idea

semi-shameless plug:

My day job has nothing to do with grills, but we got the idea to make a few as a "hobby job" just to see what happened. It went very well.

http://www.dixiegrillworks.com

The accompanying video says very little about the product's ability to cook food, but shows what happens when you are bored and want to test a grill's sturdiness in a "hey y'all, watch this" manner with the help of a Defender. As you can tell from the audio, we had a hard time not cracking up. These grills are probably too heavy (about 50 pounds) for most expedition scenarios, but they are the last grill you need to buy. The square lid also helps you get the most out of the cooking surface, and it can be removed for hibachi-style cooking. See pics.

Whatever grill you buy, look into using hardwood lump charcoal if you are going to use charcoal at all. This stuff burns hot, lasts forever, and gives a pleasant taste to grilled meats. It won't turn to mush if it gets wet, and yo ucan dry it out and it works just fine. We are very fond of Cowboy brand, which is now sold at the big home repair chain stores.

Enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-QZEoAQa2Q

Mike

ps--yeah, that's one of my trucks

Attachments

• traveller closed.jpg
    traveller closed.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 121
  • traveller profile.jpg
    traveller profile.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 84

RHINO

Expedition Leader
is that your grill and website or are you saying you made your own version of it? the traveler looks great and i've not seen that one before.
i too prefer coal/wood grilling over propane, but gas is convenient and has a place with me as well.
i'm glad you showed this, i have an old grill that i dont use anymore with great cast iron grates that i want to re-use, i've been thinking of how i want to use them and how i want to build a new portable grill for them, the idea i have been putting together is similar, but seeing it now i think i got it nailed down and will begin the build next week.

MikenBama

Yeah, that is our site and our stuff. The parent company is called Reliant Specialty Equipment Corp. and we build primarily equipment for powder coating through our finishing systems division

http://www.reliantfinishingsystems.com

So, we have God's own workshop already set up.

We decided to do the grill thing as a joke of sorts after I built a couple for myself and friends. The cube-ish design works very well in terms of giving you room for something like a whole chicken on top on a smallish cooking surface. We tested about a dozen grate systems before locking in on the cast iron ones. The heat is very uniform, gives great grill marks for cooking snobs, and will last forever. Bending up a plain box around a couple grates isn't too hard if you are trying to put in a bunch of bells and whistles and this style grill seems to be a winner based on the feedback we have gotten. The trick if you use lump is to have much smaller inlet holes than you would expect. In the prototypes we matched the inlet area of some products we had fiddled with from other makers and found that in the square-ish design the draft was too great. Even if you close the top dampers there is still enough draft across the bottom to encourage the flame. Good luck with your grill!

cactusjk

Explorer
I really like the Cobb! You can smoke, grill, etc. and the stainless is super easy to clean. Not sure why there are few Cobb recommendations?

cactusjk

Explorer
I also like the Volcano 2. Was it reviewed in Overland Journal? Looking for more feedback/recommendations.

texaslawman

Observer
I have the weber Q220 I guess its on the big size but we make it fit. We like it so much we have started using it at the house instead of the really expensive full size grill we have!

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
I use this one:

2815141720101841078S500x500Q85.jpg

It costs 25 bucks and cooks fine. I have cooked everything from hotdogs to 5 lbs Tri-tips on it. Also cooks bbq chicken perfectly just put it on med and turn every few minutes, comes out nice and juicy.

I have this one as well. It cooks just fine. I've cooked corn, beef, hot dogs, turkey burgers, etc, and they all come out great.

It only uses propane, but I always carry propane for my Classic green coleman stove, too...so, no biggy.

I think I want to get a coal grill, too, though for camping, in case we run out of propane, and just leave the propane griller for home use.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Don't forget about the Weber grills! I have one of the Charcoal Go-Anywhere grills and have to say it is the best grill I have owned yet! I like so much it is what I use at home or on the road. If you learn how to use the vents you can really regulate heat and the flavor of cooking over charcoal. I have had it now for about 5 years and it has been used more times than I can even begin to count and it is showing almost no wear. Most importantly, they have a really tough paint on these things and mine is showing no rust what so ever. Best of all one of the charcoal ones can be had for about $50.00.

http://www.weber.com/grills/?glid=7&mid=28

41DD5S9G0VL._SL500_.jpg

this weber looks great!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles