Camera Bag

Mlachica

TheRAMadaINN on Instagram
This is what I'm using to carry all of my stuff. Which includes, dig. rebel, 70-200 f/4L and hood, 17-40 f/4L and hood, flash, batteries, mem cards, cleaning supplies, a few filters and an occassional mini dv camcorder.

Special85AW_right_equip2.jpg

It's not too bad to carry everything but it's not the best for me, IMO it sticks out too much when carried with shoulder strap. It's definitely not for hiking. I want something smaller or at least something easier to carry/hike with. I'd rather not use a photo back pack b/c I like my backpack that carries a h2o reservoir.

What are you using to carry your stuff?

What are you carrying?

Where are you carrying it?

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I personally just use whatever regular pack I have. I don't carry enough stuff to justify a dedicated photo backpack. My regular packs include a Timbuk2 Dee Dog (their middle-large size), a Mountainsmith Bugaboo (2500 c.i.), a Camptrails Wilderness (5000 c.i.) and Mountainsmith lumbar pack (probably no more than 500 c.i.).

In these I usually use a rag-tag collection of dividers and protectors for the gear. I have Domke dividers that I will many times use in the courier bag, it keeps things organized nicely. In the backpacks I typically use socks, knit caps and wraps to keep things from getting too beat up. I'm carrying extra socks and clothes anyway and thick wool socks makes great lens sleeves. I will use a piece of ensolite (the thin blue sleeping pad stuff) cut into a square as a wrap to give things some cushioning or stick my camera in a cap as a big sleeve.

DesertRose

Safari Chick & Supporting Sponsor
Hi Mlachica and DaveInDenver -

We use a hybrid system. When travelling point-to-point, in backcountry areas in North America by overland, the Canon D60 and set of L lenses, flash, batteries, charger, CF cards etc, ride in a Pelican with a LowePro insert. Very tidy, dust-proof. Jonathan prefers this method for nearly all travel except overseas.

When travelling by air and when on expedition, we pack all our gear into one or more big Pelican cases with rolling wheels, and then the camera stuff goes into a low-tech and cheap but really effective solution: old Tupperware containers lined with ensolite - each is labelled on the outside with whatever lens or flash or body is in it (with a magic marker). I even have a big old Tupperware rectangular cake carrier that I lined with ensolite and it carries the iBook perfectly - we use an iBook as our digital image processor - perfect for editing, burning CDs for backup, and accessing internet in airports. I got the Tupperwares off eBay over a period of about a month - paying from $2 to $8 each. The old Velveeta storage tubes are perfect for lenses!

With individual small hard cases (the tupperwares) instead of one bag or Pelican, we can distribute the weight and value of items across several large cases.

Then, when travelling overland, we can grab the day's shooting kit based on what we're doing or where we're going, and pop them into day packs or in my case I prefer my big leather Ghurka bag - bang-proof, dust-proof storage but easy to get to if I put it on the side seat or between seats. For hiking, I just use an old fanny pack or day pack.

I also bought a couple of padded RoadWired high-tech "diapers" (that's what they look like!) to wrap the camera/lens du jour in while driving or hiking. They are handy because they fit any type of camera with whatever lens, and can also be used to wrap a computer.

A note about dedicated camera backpacks - the expensive kind with inserts. We recently went to Africa with some folks, 3 of which had these. They loaded them up with all their gear - and boy, were they heavy! All but one person really suffered when hiking, plus there was NO room for snacks or water, which had to be carried in fanny packs worn on the front. Whew! We went light, and got great shots and had no back pain.

articulate

Expedition Leader
I've come to terms with the weight while hiking :)

But I do use an old Sundog shoulder-style camera bag that holds the camera body, two - sometimes three - lenses, filters, film (really, stop laughing), field cleaning kit and so forth.

The Pelican cases that Roseann mentioned above sound very cool. As do these diapers...I'd like to see some of those. Going light, like she said, by carrying the camera with one lens and wrapped in one of these "diapers" sounds like a really smart idea.

Cheers,
Mark

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Good Link ....Mark!

I'm in need of a bag too.

I like this one from your linky!

But I would rather see it in green....tan....brown. Earth tones dontcha know!...:ylsmoke:

rrtelezoomcase.jpg

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
articulate said:
three - lenses, filters, film (really, stop laughing), field cleaning kit and so forth.

Who's laughing? I still use Provia and Tri-X, spend hours in the dark by myself and smell like fixer. Photography for me is a hobby and it is just relaxing to be in the darkroom. There are more of us than the market acknowledges.

OutbacKamper

Supporting Sponsor
Mlachica said:
I'd rather not use a photo back pack b/c I like my backpack that carries a h2o reservoir.

What are you using to carry your stuff?

What are you carrying?

Where are you carrying it?

I have used, and discarded various photo bags over the years. I also carried a regular backpack, for several years, with photo gear wraped up and stuffed inside along with various other hiking gear (jacket, water, food, etc). I really liked the stealth aspect of this set-up, but it was not easy to access the gear. I really liked the design of the Lowepro modular S&F system the first time I saw it, and bought several modular parts (as soon as I could afford them - it isn't cheap). I have the following pieces that are all modular and interchangeable:

-Rover Backpack (top 1/2 is general storage, btm 1/2 has removable photo gear dividers) can be used with or without belt. Use this alone and it looks just like any other backpack
-75AW Toploader camera case, holds 1-slr with up to a 70-200 F4 (or 2 smaller lens, such as 28-105 and 20). I often take just this bag with one lens case attached if I want to travel light.
-S&F deluxe waist belt, can be used with or without backpack
-lens case 1(20/28-105/17-40) & 4 (70-200 F4/75-300IS) can be attached to belt or 75AW
-utility case (I never use this!)
-water bottle bag (I use the bag, but replaced the water bottle)

I really like this modular system, and could not imagine going back to one single photo bag. Everything is easily accessible and well protected.

Cheers
Mark

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
I use a stormcase with padded dividers for bulk storage (three bodies and five lenses), and a Mrock for field use. Works well for me.

I also have a Lowe backpack with laptop sleeve and a lowe compact bag for just the body with single lens attached.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior