Camera Backpack Recommendations

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
I looked at those recently too. I wish there was a store with all the bags out there available to test out. I went with a Satori by F-stop gear. I've not logged a lot of time with it, but it has a very secure camera ICU. I went with the smaller ICU, but I only have one camera body. Just another option to think about.

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
I emailed clik about the packs a while back and have been hoping that a store near me would pick them up. I had thought about not only the hiker but the day packer as well. The design from what i could tell is meant to carry a body with lens attached. the first email responce was very nice and what i would expect from a semi new company. when I mentioned that I carry a 70-200 attached to a medium frame dslr and asked if everything would work, I never got a return email. still waiting to see if our local shop picks them up because I really like the design of the pack.

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
I went with a Satori by F-stop gear.
Did you have any trouble with F-Stop? I placed an order with them about 6 months ago, and after 10 weeks and no bag I had to write them. Turns out they were having issues with their manufacturer in China and they had no way of knowing when the issue was going to be resolved. Kind of strange I thought, but they did refund me the money. I was pretty disappointed with the upstart company though, so I ended up going with what I know works and can rely on, needless to say I now have a new(er) Lowepro.

Those Clik bags do look pretty nice, I like the look of the harness. Having a great fit would be nice when hiking for hours. Most camera bags aren't all that flexible when it comes to fit. It's nice to see someone has thought to address that.

Last edited:

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Yes, I like the Hiker design because of the quality of the harness and internal aluminum stays to help support the weight. This one seems a little large for short day hikes but should be perfect for all day outings or light overnight trips where you want to carry water, food, stove, first aid and extra clothes.

Since I haven't found anything comparable yet I may give this one a shot. I'll let ya know which way I go and post my impressions when I get it.

Thanks.

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
I emailed clik about the packs a while back and have been hoping that a store near me would pick them up. I had thought about not only the hiker but the day packer as well. The design from what i could tell is meant to carry a body with lens attached. the first email responce was very nice and what i would expect from a semi new company. when I mentioned that I carry a 70-200 attached to a medium frame dslr and asked if everything would work, I never got a return email. still waiting to see if our local shop picks them up because I really like the design of the pack.

Similar equipment I will be carrying Canon 50D with the 70-200 (about 11" with lens attached) as well as 15-55 and 10-22 lenses.

With these internal dimensions it should work out fine.

Last edited:

esh

Explorer
More options...

I have a Wolverine I found on amazon that was well made and fits the hiker category (even has stays)- http://www.amazon.com/Wolverine-BP2...2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1267408722&sr=8-2

For camera gear only I use a Mountainsmith pack, and they have a hiker model. Very durable packs from them.

Honestly I've been staying away from photographer-branded products because they usually cost about twice the price and lack either some feature or quality I'm after.

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
I like Lowe products but they didn't have anything with the capacity and features that covered what I wanted this time.

As usual, I got carried away and pulled the trigger on this Clik Elite large Hiker pack with clik stand.

http://www.clikelite.com/shop/hiker-clikstand/

I liked it because it not only gives me the overnight capacity I wanted but has the built in frame that acts as a stand and even has a camera mount on the top of the expandable frame so you can use it in place of a tripod.

It was frequently a problem for me setting my camera pack down when the ground was muddy or full of dead grass and burs. The Clik stand holds the pack up off the ground and will help keep it clean.

Amazon had one on sale today for $346.

I'll post up my views on it after my Utah trip in mid March.

GTABurnout

Explorer
Man I need to get a camera dedicated pack soon. Right now I roll a regular bag with a Pelican case in side. Good thing is my camera is safe bad is it takes time to get the camera ready to shoot then again to put it away.

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Man I need to get a camera dedicated pack soon. Right now I roll a regular bag with a Pelican case in side. Good thing is my camera is safe bad is it takes time to get the camera ready to shoot then again to put it away.

This one looks pretty cool. It arrives tomorrow and I take it on 5 day Utah trip next week. I'll update this thread with my impressions after the trip.

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
I have heard it said there is no single pack that can accomplish everything you may need. That being said, I bought a Lowepro flippack 300 and really like it for day trips. it is not an over night pack by any means but for short day trips it hold my stuff pretty well. I also use a hard shell for studio/portrait shoots where I need lights and blah blah. This is in no way an extended stay pack but it works. I am still working on a way to carry my gear on longer trips using my Dana pack but still have no solutions. One word of advice I can give is if your looking for a backpack get one with hip and chest straps. My old pack used to hurt me pretty bad after 3-4 hours of hiking. The flippack has allowed me to rock hop, climb steep hills and a number of things with easy. fully loaded I barelly can feel it because it sits so close on my back and the hip strap evens out the load.
Johnyosemite001.jpg

Johnyosemite002.jpg

I am really loaded down here. the insulated overalls weight more than the pack loaded.
amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Lowepro-Flips...sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1267577002&sr=1-1-spell

99wj

Adventurer
the gear stays in pelican rollers inside the truck, if im not going far ill carry a smaller pelican case, i also use one of the backpacks from the "bug out bagz" line, it has alot of space with some really good support straps for heaver stuff. (trade secret; my pelicans have quick fists screwed onto the lids for holding tripods and monopods and other junk, much better than carrying them on the shoulder :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles