Calling LR3 and LR4 lowers, loyalists, cool aid drinkers and skeptics...

srschick

Adventurer
to add to Jwest's post above about larger tires:
One reason many off-roaders "upgrade" to taller sidewall tires the larger area to aid with traction and floatation (especially when deflated), and cushioning.
The other main reason is to gain height.

Land Rovers, especially the LR3/4, overcome this need with fancy electronics (traction) and airbag suspension (height)

A 31.5/32" tire on one of these is like putting 33s on a Jeep.

roverandom

Adventurer
Never mind the Toyota. If you are honest and unbiased the real choice is a Ram Power Wagon crew cab. Or a Ford Raptor or any 4wd domestic pickup.
They are comfy. Has all the room you ever could need. Tough truck power train and running gear. Lots of aftermarket support and parts are available everywhere.

If your overlanding in North America in anything other than a domestic pickup your just making life harder on yourself.

Just for the record, I drive Land Rovers because I like them. Not because they are better in every regard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A.J.M

Explorer
Just buy a L405 and be done with it. :)

The lr3 is the off road car so you don't need to build a 2nd one. Just get something comfy that can cover miles and be relaxing.
You can get off road tyres for them for 20s now in case you want to change from stock tyres.

Plus it should have the heated and cooled seats etc.

You're welcome, I'll take my cheque in the post.

XJLI

Adventurer
Never mind the Toyota. If you are honest and unbiased the real choice is a Ram Power Wagon crew cab. Or a Ford Raptor or any 4wd domestic pickup.
They are comfy. Has all the room you ever could need. Tough truck power train and running gear. Lots of aftermarket support and parts are available everywhere.

If your overlanding in North America in anything other than a domestic pickup your just making life harder on yourself.

Just for the record, I drive Land Rovers because I like them. Not because they are better in every regard.

I'd love to go grab a Power Wagon and call it a day... Or any full-size for that matter. But on the east coast of the states, size is a big player. I'd be smashing every body panel of a truck that size on every trail.

roverandom

Adventurer
I thought the LR3 was to be the trail rig?
But I see your point. They are a little chubby.

zelatore

Explorer
So Jwest - did I see elsewhere that you pulled the trigger on a Yota?

I hate to loose anybody to the grey side, but I won't badger you too much. Heck, I was out running trails with a couple Jeep guys last weekend. (and a CT110, and a P38, and an LR4, and a couple D1s...but there were Jeeps there too :)

mpinco

Expedition Leader

If your overlanding in North America in anything other than a domestic pickup your just making life harder on yourself. ..........

For the many years of off road travel throughout the Colorado mountains one vehicle that is absent is the full size pickup. Some try and eventually sell/trade them off for more capable and appropriately sized vehicles. The full size PU's that are modified are for show, the local bar to pick up women or left at some convenient parking spot after transporting dirt bikes.

So the take-away is that "overlanding" is by definition wide dirt roads/trails, moderate hills and asphalt? Could be.

Jwestpro

Explorer
... local bar to pick up women ....

Are you trying to say I missed an important feature in considering vehicles?! :coffeedrink:

In all seriousness, The "pick up", is a pretty cool platform in some ways, other than the size of the full size. Aside from it lacking some of the modern features, I like the idea of the Defender 110 pick-up with custom pop-up camper having space also above the cab(s).

LR Max

Local Oaf
For the many years of off road travel throughout the Colorado mountains one vehicle that is absent is the full size pickup. Some try and eventually sell/trade them off for more capable and appropriately sized vehicles. The full size PU's that are modified are for show, the local bar to pick up women or left at some convenient parking spot after transporting dirt bikes.

So the take-away is that "overlanding" is by definition wide dirt roads/trails, moderate hills and asphalt? Could be.

I disagree. When I visited Colorado, I saw plenty of full size pickups on the trail, mostly stock for that matter. Stock Tundras, stock PSD (I think), and an older burb. That said, I've seen full size rigs not hold up to the same abuse that the purpose built SUVs do. Even the large powerstrokes have their weak areas. Add in that they are friggen heavy as crap and you start finding those spots quick. Of course one can make the argument saying the complete opposite.

Here on the east coast, trails get tight. Smaller vehicles do better off road. Of course that is the trade off.

Bigger tires also allow a vehicle to roll over obstacles easier. However most overlanders are just on dirt roads anyway so this is a moot point. However when you start getting into more difficult trails, larger tires makes life easier.

The Toyota vs. LR debate is just as fierce as the chevy vs. ford debate. Pick a side and roll with it. You can sit down and compare specs until your eyes fall out of your eye holes.

The bottom line is I prefer LR over Toyota for an SUV. Right now the LR3s are very attractive in price and they've shown they can handle the terrain.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
I disagree. When I visited Colorado, I saw plenty of full size pickups on the trail, mostly stock for that matter. .........

Probably a difference in trails frequented. For me it was Longwater, Metberry, Hackett and Northrup gulches before the fires. Commonly referred to as "The Gulches". Northrup was closed years ago. Too many parties and a exit trail named Widowmaker.

Jwestpro

Explorer
When I have to fold in the mirrors on my lr3, I think a full size truck wouldn't be able to get through at all. I need to go measure for exact numbers but I'm pretty sure the Land Cruiser 200 is wider than the LR3/4. Although it is important to remember that the LC body "uses" all of the width for interior space whereas the LR is narrower inside but then has the fender flares pooching out.

LR Max

Local Oaf
Probably a difference in trails frequented. For me it was Longwater, Metberry, Hackett and Northrup gulches before the fires. Commonly referred to as "The Gulches". Northrup was closed years ago. Too many parties and a exit trail named Widowmaker.

Yeah those trails would be tough in a full sized truck. Or with enough throttle and not caring about the truck its doable-ish.

I was in the San Juans. Trails are a bit more open.

Jwestpro

Explorer
I was really surprised with the difference in height from the D1/D2 to the LR3. I can put my canoe on the top of the LR3 and still park it in my garage, even at standard height. Couldn't do that with either of the other ones. Looks, it appears, are deceptive.

Height: The D1/2 is MUCH taller inside at the cargo area floor to ceiling PLUS it's above a solid axle/ladder frame design so both of those things are why the outside roof is a lot higher than an LR3. However, with my LLAMS interface and 32" tires, it can go from ~6' roof height to over 7' in 2 minutes. Put 32" on a 2" lifted D2 and the roof will be close to 7.5' but have less ground clearance than the lr3.

Jwestpro

Explorer
We just puchased a 05 LR3 SE with 65k miles on it. It has 2 1/2 " Rino lift and 32" Duratracs on it. all stock other wise. We love it! Sorry to say it will be a few years before it sees much off road, I still have my Montero for that. There is no price compairison. Can't touch anything like it for the price.

Oh boy, 64k on a 2005 lr3..... like saving for a kid's college fund, start putting away no less than $100/month/1000 miles for repairs. The 05's had the most issues but mainly my concern is yours is before the magical mileage points.... I'll bet that in the time you could double your mileage, you will also have to spend double what you paid for the vehicle. This does not mean it's a bad plan compared to buying one newer but twice as expensive because in that scenario, you spend it all up front no matter what. In your case it's rolling the dice on what will or won't fail and when. In the meantime the $ can be doing other things than just sitting in the vehicle purchase price.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94