Calling all Solid axle guru's: Need some help/info.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
SO I've found an 81 SFA from a pickup, stock, not modded etc, BUT I'm getting some mixed feedback in my research as to whether or not I can swap all the 95 IFS brakes/stuff over to the 81 or if I truly do need to find an 84 or 85 axle (maybe an 83???) for this thing. I could care less about the gusseting cause it'll get custom gussets in the process of rebuilding it but I need to know if the 81 is a "no go" for the IFS hub swap to get me the bigger IFS brakes and widen the track width

Thought about running an 80-series Axle, but man it's 4" wider then my rear axle would be and I'm not liking the idea of running 2" spacers out back (not sure if the tires will still clear the fnders at stuff and don't want to go through the process and then find out they DO) plus it's gonna take a bunch of work just to make it suitable for a Leaf-sprung suspension as is.

Oh and: Will a 2nd Gen V6 4Runners Master Cylinder work with an 80's front discs or would I then need to go to an 80 MC and booster as well...

At this point I think I'm going to grab the 81 Axle just to have one and see what I find, but if it's not one issue it's another... I'm starting to wish I'd just decided to leave this thing IFS despite the fact that I'm really looking forward to the SFA being under there but man... SO MUCH hassle.

Cheers

Dave

jlandon

Get Dirty.
Its disc? then it shares the same setup found in US spec hilux trucks until the ifs switch in 84/85. As far as all that just swapping over, I haven't done it but its not that straight forward. I found that simply upgrading to the LC rotors and v6 calipers with a BB and MC from a 96 4runner has provided amazing stopping power. Even with the 37x12.5 Hummer tires and wheels I used to have. With 33's its even better.

Edit: you want the added width factor... I just run spacers...

Box Rocket

I am no Guru, but I've had an '85 with a solid axle and a '93 with a SAS using an early axle. Neither axle was as early as the '81 but I don't know of any difference between the '81-83 front axles and IIRC the SAS in my '93 was from an '83 truck. You already know about the gusseting and sounds like you have that sorted out.

As for the IFS hub swap I am pretty sure that will work on that axle just fine as well.

You'll want an 80 series LC master cylinder if you want rear discs but you can run it with rear drums too. The 80 series front axle would be cool but A LOT more money as you'd need to change the knuckles and get some hi-steer arms that a VERY expensive. For the '90s era trucks the earlier axles work good.

Not a great shot but here's my old '93 truck with the '83 SAS and IFS hubs.

v_man

Explorer
Another vote for 'go' on swapping your IFS brake stuff over to the '81 . There's not too many differences '79-'85 Toyota SFA except for the obvious gusseting in later years.

Another common swap is T100 rotors and calipers, the T100 rotors are a little bit thicker, but if you already have all the V6 stuff then...

...I'd also think about a dual diaphram brake booster if your pedal feels really hard ...

.... lastly , I'd look into an upgraded proportioning valve , like a Wildwood, you can manually setup how much braking power the front and rear brakes are getting when you hit the pedal .

Dwill817

Toyota Fanatic!
Yes you can do the IFS swap on an '81 axle. I plan to do it myself eventually.

BoxRocket: You love to fling out pics of that '93 dontcha? How about flinging a few more out of the '85 while you're at it? :)

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Ahhh... thank you all... Seriously, you have NO idea how much of a difference you've each made in the "going to get to sleep tonight" department aye. Much love to all my fellow Expo folks who never let me down aye. I'm actually looking at maybe even going to the FROR "Taco Brake Kit" just to give it even more brake beef with that heavy little diesel up front (250+lbs more then the 3VZ) aye. Just waiting to hear from them that the kit does in fact fit the 81 (sounds like it will).

The 80-series Axle got nixed cause while it'd be sweet, it's too wide, would have required a LOT of work to get it to be leaf-spring ready and then I'd have to again deal with the trac-width, and frankly running a beefier axle up front when this thing is going to be seeing most drive time working off the back axle didn't make sense and the 60-series Axle, while a better match width wise just didn't sit right... having a 9.5" front diff made me think I was going to talk myself into doing F/R 60ser axles and I've already done enough work on the rear 8" to make it a waste of money to throw it away now. As always, I'm building a dream rig but I don;t exactly have a dream BUDGET aye ;)

Seriously, THANK YOU EVERYONE for your input and help. Means a lot to me (and my blood pressure) AND it means I'm SO much closer to getting this "dream build" of mine on the road finnaly!!! You can be sure that the first shots and vid of the Diesel Dream rig will be plastered here on Expo Portal. Love this place...

.... lastly , I'd look into an upgraded proportioning valve , like a Wildwood, you can manually setup how much braking power the front and rear brakes are getting when you hit the pedal .
Read my mind, I just ordered one yesterday ;)

Not a great shot but here's my old '93 truck with the '83 SAS and IFS hubs.

She's a Beaut BR, I'd show her off too :sombrero: I esp. like how relatively "low" it sits compared to the average SAS'd rig... THat's about the exact stance I'm going for. That pic just went into my "ideas/reference" pics folder for when it comes time to dial in final ride height. Oh and as of right now... I'm dubbing you (hell all of you who took the time to answer) a "Guru" in my eyes for whatever that's worth... Seriously, thank you.

Its disc? then it shares the same setup found in US spec hilux trucks until the ifs switch in 84/85. As far as all that just swapping over, I haven't done it but its not that straight forward. I found that simply upgrading to the LC rotors and v6 calipers with a BB and MC from a 96 4runner has provided amazing stopping power. Even with the 37x12.5 Hummer tires and wheels I used to have. With 33's its even better.

Edit: you want the added width factor... I just run spacers...

Very interesting, maybe I DON'T need to go to the FROR Taco brake set-up, thanks for that info mate. I'm not against spacers per-sey, jsut that I'd thought that you get the width back by going to the IFS hub assemblies, but we shall see. I have the 95's IFS brakes/calipers etc. just getting hacked off and I love to re-purpose stuff so I thought I'd go that route but maybe I just run the V6 MC/BB and upgrade the rotors/calipers and run wheel spacers. Certainly SOUNDS like a simpler proposition aye. Anything's going to be an improvement from my 33x10.50 shod 22RE 1st Gen... thank dog that thing is a manual or I'd have totalled it by now aye. Again, good info, thanks.

Cheer and No Worries
'
Dave

Last edited:

Stone_Blue

Adventurer
Best place for info that involves any 1st Gen Hilux would be MarlinCrawler.com forums...More 1st Gen info, and less @-holes there than Pirate or yotatech.

Clay

Adventurer
If you want to put ifs brakes in your new solid axle it's a bolt on affair. Actually, you keep the master cylinder and calipers, but you use rotors from the same year fj60 land cruiser. In your case an 81, right? Marlin sells them cheaper than most parts stores, so I would recommend calling him or taking a look at his website.

I ran 36" Iroks on an 81 axle with v6 stuff on an '89 4runner with a 3.0 and I never had any complaints about braking. I eventually converted to rear disc breaks only because the drums kept getting fouled up with mud, and maintenance was much easier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior