Calling all 7.3L E350 Owners!!

XTRALND

If money isn't falling off trees then why are you considering this now?

But, if you are anyway, I would definitely go with a V10. A good one is going to be hard to find but cheaper and easier to find than a 7.3l.

If money isn't falling off trees then find a really clean 5.4l which is easy to do. It will get you around just fine.
Great point. I keep going back and forth in my head about this myself haha. I have a perfectly built out Toyota but it is not suitable for full time living. There are other reasons that make me want to make the switch to a van but I won't go too in detail.

86scotty

Cynic
Detail is what this site is all about. We don't mind. If you want a van for full time living what are your plans for the roof? I hope you aren't considering a low roof van as even a part time 'residence'. Standing up matters.

Also curious why you want an E350 instead of something newer? I'm not being critical here, just curious of your intentions. About the only reason to choose an E350 nowadays is if you want to mod it for pretty significant wheeling. If you aren't planning on really crawling a Transit/Sprinter makes a lot more sense to travel and live in.

Or....a hybrid. Keep on the lookout for a chassis cab/cutaway in the form of a small box truck or ambo. Then you have the best of all worlds. Lots of great build examples of those here lately.

XTRALND

Detail is what this site is all about. We don't mind. If you want a van for full time living what are your plans for the roof? I hope you aren't considering a low roof van as even a part time 'residence'. Standing up matters.

Also curious why you want an E350 instead of something newer? I'm not being critical here, just curious of your intentions. About the only reason to choose an E350 nowadays is if you want to mod it for pretty significant wheeling. If you aren't planning on really crawling a Transit/Sprinter makes a lot more sense to travel and live in.

Or....a hybrid. Keep on the lookout for a chassis cab/cutaway in the form of a small box truck or ambo. Then you have the best of all worlds. Lots of great build examples of those here lately.
I frequent areas that having the extra ground clearance and solid axles will be beneficial. For the E350, a high roof would be a must. I would probably go through fiberine if I can't find a desirable van with one already installed. Something newer would be nice but the 4x4 or AWD models quickly become unaffordable at this point in time. An ambo would be cool, only thing is I would prefer something with better city manners.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Consider a V10 to avoid the many many things that can (and ultimately will) go wrong with any of the E series diesels. The difference in MPGs isn't worth he added cost of diesel ownership/maintenance.

I just posted three different E350 4x4 vans tonight. Check ‘em out...under the Found in EBay, CL, etc category here

iggi

Ian
In some ways my E350 ambo is better around the city than my 2014 FJC. Other than the racket from the diesel it's definitely better on the highway. Gets about the same mileage despite being twice the weight. If you look for a minimod they aren't much bigger than the standard van. Pretty rare though and just like all Ford vans, expensive to upgrade to 4x4.

Quick roadside BBQ after a day climbing and shortly before the weather rolled in.

F7F3D700-60EA-4AB1-B4EA-80DDA72F74DD.jpeg

XTRALND

In some ways my E350 ambo is better around the city than my 2014 FJC. Other than the racket from the diesel it's definitely better on the highway. Gets about the same mileage despite being twice the weight. If you look for a minimod they aren't much bigger than the standard van. Pretty rare though and just like all Ford vans, expensive to upgrade to 4x4.

Quick roadside BBQ after a day climbing and shortly before the weather rolled in.

View attachment 653651
That's actually super interesting to hear. My 4runner gets about 13-14mpg combined on a good day so anything will probably be better than that haha. The biggest reason for me to get a van is rock climbing in the winter, funny enough. I feel like I'm the only climber with an "overland" built rig.

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
Why 3? Did you have any problems with the other 2?
The first had 785,075 when it retired.
Second 7.3 had no issues @240k but was red and I was downsizing to an XJ.
Third 7.3 is my current rig. 192k and used as my DD and home for 5+ yrs.
The 05 V10 just was fantastic but served it's purpose atm.

iggi

Ian
I average 14-15 mpg. On trips that are mostly slow roads (national parks, etc) I've averaged 16mpg over a 500 mile trip. That's summer fuel and driving about 55mph. though.
The only climber with an Overland built up rig? hmmm.. pretty common here but we've got some really good climbing areas that are 4x4 access only.

Since you're a climber you might appreciate these two pics.

climbing_rack_ambo.jpgIMG_1482.JPG

That's actually super interesting to hear. My 4runner gets about 13-14mpg combined on a good day so anything will probably be better than that haha. The biggest reason for me to get a van is rock climbing in the winter, funny enough. I feel like I'm the only climber with an "overland" built rig.

shenrie

^^^ hates cars
Its been the hardest decision to begin to mentally prepare to sell my 4runner haha. It has been nothing but a treat to travel in. Its only lacking in the space department. Is your van a 7.3 powerstroke?

my wife cried as our toyota drove away. i loved it too, but we just outgrew it. we dont miss the lack of space or setting up a camp. only hassle at all when we camp now is getting leveled and that typically only takes 5-10 minutes with erics rocks.

yes our van is a 7.3 ps. originally we bought it to make into a camper, but its secondary job was to tow a racecar to and from events. once we got the camper functional enough to sleep in and started camping every weekend, we all but gave up racing. so yes, the 7.3 is overkill now that we arent racing, but ALWAYS having enough power is so nice. never even think twice about grades, passing turtles, or towing stuff. only complaint is the noise. seems counter productive to long for the serenity of the woods, but roll into them with a loud ass cackling vehicle. it does make me feel like a hypocrite. however, not racing for 8 years and im starting to get the bug again. its nice to know we have a rig that will tow a car to and from the events without any issues should we decide to start that lifestyle again.

the v10's are so quiet that i do envy those with that motor, but 10mpg no matter what would suck. i know, i know, cost of maintenance, blah, blah, blah. diesels are expensive to maintain, but how many v10's reach the million mile mark? the mileage numbers from the 7.3 are seriously insane. for reliability, the 7.3's are pretty tough to beat. our mileage in a van with a poptop on 35's that weighs 10,600lbs loaded gets 10-12mpg in the winter and 12-14mpg in the summer. weve got as good as 17mpg (must have had a really good tailwind), but weve never dropped below the best mileage most v10 owners report getting.

XTRALND

I average 14-15 mpg. On trips that are mostly slow roads (national parks, etc) I've averaged 16mpg over a 500 mile trip. That's summer fuel and driving about 55mph. though.
The only climber with an Overland built up rig? hmmm.. pretty common here but we've got some really good climbing areas that are 4x4 access only.

View attachment 653788View attachment 653789
Man that setup is rad! Makes me that much more eager to buy a van.

XTRALND

View attachment 653788View attachment 653789
Where is the second photo? I'm located on the west coast. I have been eager to get into ice climbing but haven't had the chance yet.
Also, as far as climbers and overland rigs, pretty much every crag, even the remote ones, have a Prius or Tesla at the parking area. I feel like climbers in my area are pretty hard on their vehicles, haha. I've winched out a bunch of 2wd's from different crags.

iggi

Ian
It's really awesome being able to rack up out of the weather and also not have all your gear turn into a tangled mess just two days into a two week trip. :)
That is the world famous Weeping Wall on the Icefields Parkway.

and yes.. guaranteed there's always going to be someone asking way more of their car than they have a right too.

Man that setup is rad! Makes me that much more eager to buy a van.

XTRALND

It's really awesome being able to rack up out of the weather and also not have all your gear turn into a tangled mess just two days into a two week trip. :)
That is the world famous Weeping Wall on the Icefields Parkway.

and yes.. guaranteed there's always going to be someone asking way more of their car than they have a right too.
Yeah, I have no better option than to leave all my gear in my bag at all times. I'm definitely not the most organized lol.

Mxkutch

Observer
I have an 02 7.3 and a 97 v10, both are Ujoint vans, but the v10 is still only a partial conversion.

They both have their pros and cons. The v10 is my daily driver and I love it for that but I would never want to build it out into a camper or do long hauls at 9 mpg.

The 7.3 has a hightop and full build out that my wife and I have lived in full time for 3 3month stretches plus tons of short trips. It’s loud but I can’t complain about 16 mpg or the power it has for a 10,000 vehicle. Like some others have said, routine maintenance can be pricy on the diesel but for me it’s worth it.

Both vans have 180k on the clock and both have required bolt on maintenance but neither has needed anything major.

For what it’s worth, I would find myself a rust free 7.3 and built it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XTRALND

I have an 02 7.3 and a 97 v10, both are Ujoint vans, but the v10 is still only a partial conversion.

They both have their pros and cons. The v10 is my daily driver and I love it for that but I would never want to build it out into a camper or do long hauls at 9 mpg.

The 7.3 has a hightop and full build out that my wife and I have lived in full time for 3 3month stretches plus tons of short trips. It’s loud but I can’t complain about 16 mpg or the power it has for a 10,000 vehicle. Like some others have said, routine maintenance can be pricy on the diesel but for me it’s worth it.

Both vans have 180k on the clock and both have required bolt on maintenance but neither has needed anything major.

For what it’s worth, I would find myself a rust free 7.3 and built it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Awesome to hear nothing major has failed. Thanks for the input!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles