Callen Camper Company- Back in Business

CallenCampers

Hey Everyone:

We are getting the word out that Callen Camper Company is back in business. We are taking orders for new custom truck campers and doing repairs as well. We are still based out of San Diego and have moved the shop to San Marcos (North SD). We are pleased to be serving our customers again in Southern California and throughout the west.

Visit our website at www.callencampers.com or email us at info@callencampers.com.

If you are in the San Diego or Southern California area, feel free to swing on by the shop to see some new Callen shells coming out of production. Our phone number is (619) 755-2609.

Cheers-

Tyler
Callen Camper CoWebsite-Insta post.PNG

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
They went down. Great guy too. He bought the business from Jim who showed him the ropes but it turned out to be too many man hours for the return. He did finish all customer's orders to my knowledge.
The right person might be able to automate the manufacturing process. In the past most trucks were approximately similar in dimensions but everything went to different profiles,bed heights,widths etc. The amount of jigs would be crazy. There's a way with modern technology to make it affordable and profitable but it's going to take someone very talented. The market's there. With the thinner sheet metal all that weight on the bedrails is tough on the truck. I saw a '98-2002 Superduty longbed that had just returned from a torturous run to the Baja Pacific Northwest surfing trip. The bedrails had collapsed bowing both sides out like a Bronco Buster's legs. This would be the half cabover model with their super heavy rack. I've had three the favorite being the radius side cab high model. I reckon the newer trucks are tinnier yet.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
They went down. Great guy too. He bought the business from Jim who showed him the ropes but it turned out to be too many man hours for the return. He did finish all customer's orders to my knowledge.
The right person might be able to automate the manufacturing process. In the past most trucks were approximately similar in dimensions but everything went to different profiles,bed heights,widths etc. The amount of jigs would be crazy. There's a way with modern technology to make it affordable and profitable but it's going to take someone very talented. The market's there. With the thinner sheet metal all that weight on the bedrails is tough on the truck. I saw a '98-2002 Superduty longbed that had just returned from a torturous run to the Baja Pacific Northwest surfing trip. The bedrails had collapsed bowing both sides out like a Bronco Buster's legs. This would be the half cabover model with their super heavy rack. I've had three the favorite being the radius side cab high model. I reckon the newer trucks are tinnier yet.
Ah man thats what I was afraid of. The website looks awesome too!

I imagine his rent was pretty high too- I know the area well and can tell you its not cheap.

I wonder if an aluminum framed shell or something simpler like a GFC frame would do better in regards to the beds bowing.... The market is 100% there!

I, also, had big hopes that the new owners could make a go of it. We traded several emails and then...radio silence. Big bummer! I just noticed that Lifetime/Workmate canopies now offer a cabover option on their units. A small cabover would allow for storage of lightweight gear such as bedding, pads, clothing, etc. Increased height will definitely help with my lower back. The framework is aluminum, not steel. But that will help with weight and reports of collapsed bed rails. I’m going to check whether additional reinforcing is available for offroad work. Callen Camper style using different materials...I’m looking hard at this setup.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
That feels sketchy. A search on the phone number doesn't give any business listing, and is basically warning people off trying to search for contact info. No website, "A GoogleSite for Callen Campers is in the works". (But unless they buy the domain from the San Marcos operation, it won't be that.) Weird.

I know a lot of people like those campers, but caveat emptor.

Reactions: plh

Jonnyo

Observer
That feels sketchy. A search on the phone number doesn't give any business listing, and is basically warning people off trying to search for contact info. No website, "A GoogleSite for Callen Campers is in the works". (But unless they buy the domain from the San Marcos operation, it won't be that.) Weird.

I know a lot of people like those campers, but caveat emptor.

the craigslist add is classic Callen style adds like he use to do years ago so i think that is really him. classic lack of details, using craigslist and no or very little photo. he is good at making camper!!! not advertising!

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
No CL in the past. If you were looking for a used one he had them on his lot for a consignment sale.
Maybe Scott his son is getting involved. Whatever it takes. It's a sturdy product.
I suspect a website will be forthcoming. But then again,that might generate too much business.

blupaddler

Conspirator
He did the same thing before the San Marcos guy took over. Just Craigslist ads with his personal phone number.
He’s old school. We‘ll be lucky to see a website.

I just wish his campers weren’t so heavy. Newer trucks can’t handle weight of the heavy campers on the bed rails without cracking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94