Called in sick

LR Max

Local Oaf
Long story short, all work and no play makes LR Max go nuts. I saw an opportunity in my work schedule (which includes weekends!) to take off for the day. The goal was to check out a couple of forest roads and to find a pretty nice place to put up the hammock and drink a root beer. Nothing "intense" and obviously not up to the caliber you west coast boys play with. However this is what I got, so roll with it! Pretty much all I got are pictures of the old truck which people seem to like.

So I got going kinda a little late. Of course I would have to pay for it in traffic.

1 by expeditionmax, on Flickr
First thing is first, bust out of town. I stopped by the Costco to gas up. A popped collar individual and the station attendant were interested in hearing stories of the battle scars of my rover. So I indulged them as I watched the gas bill go to whatever number. Really it didn't matter today.

3 by expeditionmax, on Flickr
Open road cruising, heading north.

2 by expeditionmax, on Flickr
Passed through Helen, GA. All the buildings look like they are out of the Bavarian Alps. This will be a hopping place once October comes around :elkgrin:

4 by expeditionmax, on Flickr
First place I went was to the top of Trey Mountain. The road looked like this the entire way. Nothing special.

5 by expeditionmax, on Flickr

6 by expeditionmax, on Flickr
Hmmmm. I bet if I took that puddle a different way, my chevy sedan could tackle it.

7 by expeditionmax, on Flickr
Aqua crossing by a decent campsite area.

8 by expeditionmax, on Flickr
The next road I hit up had potential for offering a challenge. That it did indeed! The one thing is that this trail was VERY steep. Considering the old gal has the power-to-weight ratio of Jabba the Hutt, I needed low range just to get up the trail since my 4 cyl couldn't pull it in 1st gear 2HI.

9 by expeditionmax, on Flickr
More of the same.

11 by expeditionmax, on Flickr

Rover2 by expeditionmax, on Flickr
At the Top.

Mountain1 by expeditionmax, on Flickr

Top of Bell Mountain by expeditionmax, on Flickr

17 by expeditionmax, on Flickr
Deploy the ghetto awning for lunches!!

12 by expeditionmax, on Flickr
Decent view for a smoke.

13 by expeditionmax, on Flickr
Coming down. This little rock area isn't a problem if you have a spotter and it isn't wet. Of course I disregarded both of these so I'll need to throw some paint on the rock sliders.

14 by expeditionmax, on Flickr
Eased back down south and stopped by Wolf's gap. Found a few little forest roads back in there.

Rover3 by expeditionmax, on Flickr

Rover4 by expeditionmax, on Flickr

15 by expeditionmax, on Flickr

16 by expeditionmax, on Flickr
Who says old rovers are slow!!?? :smiley_drive:

So yeah, just a quick day trip in the old truck. Had a good time. Found some new good trails. Just reminding ya'll that the east coast guys do get out and we DO use our old iron!

Rot Box

Explorer
Geez with that rig and that scenery I'd have a really hard time not calling in on a weekly basis! :Wow1:

Great report really enjoyed it :bike_rider:

LR Max

Local Oaf
Thanks for the replies. As you can see, it isn't anything special but it seemed worth it just for the view!

maxama10

Welcome to Nevadafornia
I lived in Augusta for 4 years and never saw any scenery quite like that, very nice. Helen is a cool little town. Great trip.

-Max

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shevy5000