California Legal Engine Swaps

shenrie

^^^ hates cars
ca refs know their ********. definitely talk with them about how to pull it off legally and however it needs to be done that is the least amount of hassle to you yearly. id talk to a few of them honestly and verify anything your told.

had a buddy in that area put a crv motor in his integra back in the early 00’s and apparently it’s against the rules to put a truck/suv motor in a car and visa-versa. the ref also knew it was the jdm version of the motor. thinking you’re gonna fool them folks isn’t good planning.

and ya man, people have put ls motors in freaking everything forever. ill bet there’s even kits you can buy to avoid fab work if your not setup for it. not sure if their still around but there was a place called granny’s speed shop that sold all kinds of kits like that. we installed a few of the kits where I worked at the time and they were pretty slick.

cjjohn

I live in CA, and I have done a smog LEGAL 5.3 / 4L60E swap into my 1985 CJ7. It's one of the best mods I have ever done. Better mileage, better power, just better everything. I can run 70 all day and get 20-21 mpg. I NEVER came close to that with the 258 6 cyl that had about 150 HP. I'm running about 350 HP now. It is a lot of work, and I can share details if you need help. I did have to go to the referee, but passed on second attempt. My '85 Jeep now meets the smog requirements of a 2001 GMC Yukon. A YJ would physically be easier due to the frame dimensions. BTW, I pass smog with flying colors every time, except for one time at a shop who were idiots and didn't understand the referee sticker. ask away!

19504x4

I live in CA, and I have done a smog LEGAL 5.3 / 4L60E swap into my 1985 CJ7. It's one of the best mods I have ever done. Better mileage, better power, just better everything. I can run 70 all day and get 20-21 mpg. I NEVER came close to that with the 258 6 cyl that had about 150 HP. I'm running about 350 HP now. It is a lot of work, and I can share details if you need help. I did have to go to the referee, but passed on second attempt. My '85 Jeep now meets the smog requirements of a 2001 GMC Yukon. A YJ would physically be easier due to the frame dimensions. BTW, I pass smog with flying colors every time, except for one time at a shop who were idiots and didn't understand the referee sticker. ask away!
I'm working on putting a 5.3 in my boss's 1980 CJ5. I have questions. What all needs to be taken from the donor vehicle? Do I use the EVAP equipment from the donor or the Jeep? Can I run a different transmission? What exhaust manifolds clear the frame? How much modification is needed on the wiring harness?

cjjohn

1950, I responded to your message as well but here's a couple of answers; The donor vehicle will need to be same year or newer. If you have the donor vehicle KEEP IT!! You will need pretty much everything from the emissions system including the evap system. I believe you can run a different transmission. The exhaust manifolds must be factory, or CARB approved FOR THE DONOR VEHICLE. In my case I has to use CARB approved headers due to fitment. I didn't need to modify the harness much at all since I used all of the factory sensors. You will need to get the ECM programmed to have the VATS (vehicle anti theft system) programmed out. It won't start until that is done. There are several "readiness monitors" that have to function. Such as the evap purge system. That will require a GM fuel pump so it will "talk" to the ECM and know when to run the purge. In my case it's between 1/4 and 3/4 of a tank. The cats will have to be in the factory location and all wiring in place.

billiebob

S and J Engines, WA sells remanufactured engines with 7 year warranties. I've had 3. They ship worldwide and always have a 4.0L and 4.2L in stock.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior