California Highway 395

justcuz

Explorer
No matter how much you post up people are not going to overpopulate that area. I've been going up since I had a drivers license, I'm 63 now. Most folks are in a hurry and can't stand 395, I love it.
Flopping over to Death Valley or Yosemite, Bristlecone Pine Forest, tubing down the Owens River, partying with the girls at Upper Twin in the hot springs (some of which are now fenced in), Bodie when the road in was all dirt and you could drive down Main St. before that old Dodge flatbed was restored. I have had so many other adventures that are too numerous to mention. Compared to the population increase, the use of 395 and its surrounding treasures has not kept up thankfully. I've probably been down a good percentage of the side roads between Pearsonville and Bridgeport. Lots to see! Last year we were too early for the opening of the visitors center in the Bristlecone Pine Forest, so we headed north and dropped back down to 395. The vistas of the Owens Valley from that altitude were breathtaking, especially for my cousin and her husband who were visiting from Ohio.

seeNik48

Adventurer
It stretches from I-90 near Ritzville, WA to I-15 near Victorville, CA. We usually travel it in Oregon as there is little traffic except for ranchers, hunters and a few log trucks. One of our favorite national highways. We avoid interstates when we can in favor of slow travel. Many places to boondock along the way. Someone should write a book.

pmatusov

AK6PM
The original U.S. 395 goes all the way to Mexican border. Parts of the 395 are still labelled as such in San Diego County.

SIZZLE

Pro-party
Agreed, it's a great road. In CA the eastern Sierras are so dramatic. It looks like they were thrust out of the ground yesterday.

I've driven from CA to WA on the 101, 5, and 395. 395 is the best if you have the time.

I've always wanted to do a photo essay of all the abandoned gas stations on the 395. There's some great Americana out there.

Great post, thanks for the pics!

stevec

Adventurer
...Bodie when the road in was all dirt and you could drive down Main St. before that old Dodge flatbed was restored.

I have pictures of that old Dodge before it was restored! That was back when you could still camp there...

justcuz

Explorer
Me too! I am actually standing on the back of the flatbed. Last time I was up there the Dodge was hiding in the barn.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
I view 395 as the most amazing highway lined with numerous gateways to adventures

The Sierras
Bodie_Aug2011+165-1.JPG

Bodie
Bodie_Aug2011+477-1.jpg

Eureka Sand Dunes
NKN_0485-1.JPG

NKN_0567.JPG

Alabama Hills
NKN_0606.JPG

Bristlecone Pines
NKN_0330.JPG

Death Valley