California Chukar

Medracr

It's that time again! Chukar season is upon us, and I'm looking for recommendations from my California peeps.
Lets hear em!

waveslider

Outdoorsman
Since I no longer live, hunt or visit CA unless required to.....I'm happy to give up my hunting spots.

The amount of chukar, especially after several years of good water, in and around the town of Trona, CA is astounding. Particularly to the NW of Trona around Searles Valley.

EMrider

Explorer
I’m focused on dove and quail, but have heard that Churkar can be found in the Mojave Preserve. Good luck.

R

Medracr

Since I no longer live, hunt or visit CA unless required to.....I'm happy to give up my hunting spots.

The amount of chukar, especially after several years of good water, in and around the town of Trona, CA is astounding. Particularly to the NW of Trona around Searles Valley.
:sarcasm: I can't imagine why you'd feel that way :sarcasm:

Medracr

Thanks all! Ended up going for quail, as we couldn’t carve out enough time for a drive up to the Sierras.
Opening day only dropped one. Day 2 was like a shooting gallery and we got 12 before breakfast and another 5 after, before we headed back.
3 days without cell service, so quiet you could hear the wind move.... amazing!!!
4ccb193194febe20ca27d9ce161fb8eb.jpg
8f3782e22c8f3e34a296ecb5be18a24e.jpg
c30a5ae463474619280906e7ef4b3093.jpg
9a19b9c6db16485753122c4e52f0de73.jpg
cb967980ca6f17e617c7989a838af3bc.jpg
9a9530189830baa4ee1babe5189e7a9c.jpg
8352a036f12e65c94ebb53365a6a8cc9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SBSYNCRO

Congrats on a successful hunt! I hunted opening day with a guide out of Santa Maria, CA on some private land and worked my ass off all day for a single mountain quail at the end of the day. Of course we saw three bucks bigger than anything I've ever seen during deer season... The next morning I said goodbye to the guide at daybreak and drove about an hour and a half to one of my favorite spots and had 6 birds in the bag by 10 am. I don't have a dog, so I lost two more in the bushes (every time that happens I vow to get a dog until I come back home and realize what a commitment it would be). Spent the rest of the weekend and Monday scouting some new areas. Definitely looking forward to it cooling down a bit and getting a bit of rain to knock down the dust and bring up the forage a bit.

IMG_2703.jpg

IMG_2708.jpg

IMG_2777.jpg

Medracr

Congrats on a successful hunt! I hunted opening day with a guide out of Santa Maria, CA on some private land and worked my ass off all day for a single mountain quail at the end of the day. Of course we saw three bucks bigger than anything I've ever seen during deer season... The next morning I said goodbye to the guide at daybreak and drove about an hour and a half to one of my favorite spots and had 6 birds in the bag by 10 am. I don't have a dog, so I lost two more in the bushes (every time that happens I vow to get a dog until I come back home and realize what a commitment it would be). Spent the rest of the weekend and Monday scouting some new areas. Definitely looking forward to it cooling down a bit and getting a bit of rain to knock down the dust and bring up the forage a bit.

View attachment 551104

View attachment 551103

View attachment 551105

Mtn quail are no joke. A lot of hiking and sweating to get them. I swore to myself before I went that I would enjoy the trip no matter what.
Beautiful country, only the company of people I chose, good food, no cell service. The birds were a bonus! Cooked them up by breasting them, stuffing with jalapeño and wrapping with bacon and grilling. So good!! My 9-year old ate 2 of them!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Milamr

Morning Pheasant hunting in Alabama. Also two of us along with a guide and some dogs got 40 quail, chukar and pheasant during the afternoon.
f0fd7c274898578b035b1912f8f3f5fe.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using

SBSYNCRO

That’s a lot of work for not much bird. I’m used to spending about 30 minutes for 15-20 ptarmigan or grouse.
Hah - from what my friends in Utah have told me, you can pretty much walk up to them and kick them into a game bag like a soccer ball. Would love to try for them one of these days after busting my hump hunting public land in CA. :)

SBSYNCRO

Mtn quail are no joke. A lot of hiking and sweating to get them. I swore to myself before I went that I would enjoy the trip no matter what.
Beautiful country, only the company of people I chose, good food, no cell service. The birds were a bonus! Cooked them up by breasting them, stuffing with jalapeño and wrapping with bacon and grilling. So good!! My 9-year old ate 2 of them!!!!

Not to change this into a recipe thread, but next time try plucking them carefully to keep the skin intact, then clean them whole (like a mini chicken) and brown them gently for about 15 minutes in butter, turning constantly. That way they taste like quail and not bacon, jalapeño, and BBQ sauce. :)

Though I will admit to doing them with bacon the same way and thoroughly enjoying it. :)

IMG_0470.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles