California Backcountry Discovery Trail

skinzluch

Adventurer
CBDT, Part 6: Best Campsite Ever

Here are some more highlights from our sixth day on the CBDT.

You can see the whole post including video and maps on WCXC.

IMG_3467.JPG

CBDT%20719.jpg

CBDT%20739.jpg

CBDT%20753.jpg

IMG_3486.JPG

IMG_3491.JPG

skinzluch

Adventurer
CBDT, Part 7: Obviously Not Bigfoot

cbdt-763.jpg
Here's the last part of our CBDT trip. It didn't quite go as planned.

Our last morning out on the CBDT found us patting ourselves on the back for finding such a great campsite. I made us a special breakfast of fresh crepes and hot Masala chai, and we soaked up the sun and the view.

While we were eating we heard some yelling from the road but thought it was hunters. Then, a few moments later, we saw a man walking through the woods towards our camp. He was wearing jeans and a sweatshirt and, when he got closer, we could see he was Latino. We called out, “Hello? Hello?” and got no response. We were a little on edge when he walked out of the woods, into our small clearing and stopped.

Read the rest of the post here.

FromRaleigh

Adventurer
Could anyone familiar with this area offer me some advice? I'm going to be in Napa sometime this summer or fall to visit the GF's family and thought it would be fun to extend the trip and do a couple days on the CBDT. I'd rather not have to try to fly with camping gear, so I'm looking for stretches that we could do as two day trips with a stop at a hotel/motel in between. Also, we would be in a regular stock rental SUV but from what I've read that should be fine as long as we don't take any of the optional spurs.

If I camp I'd take regular bear country precautions, but should i also be concerned about mountain lions or pot growers in this area?

tl;dr I'm looking for recommendations for a couple stretches I could do as day trips and crash at a hotel/motel in between.

I've read the entire Forest Service guide here:
http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5428383.pdf

PTB

Observer
Unless I have misread the trip report and the Forest Service pdf, they are talking about two different areas for exploration. Plumas National Forest is in the Sierra Nevada's, whereas this trip report is talking about starting in Lake County and travelling north.

FromRaleigh

Adventurer
^^ thanks for pointing that out, it looks like this trip report is for something different (perhaps the CBDR?)

Sent using Tapatalk

shmabs

Explorer
Bringing this back from the dead.....the domain seems to have expired on their website.

This is unfortunate because this was some of the only decent documentation of the trail and its routes, anyone have some good references for the route?

Mike

EDIT: Seems I can still access the content, my work computer is funky.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94