Cable glands large enough for Goal Zero 8mm connector?

I am planning to mount my goal zero boulder solar panels to the top of a fiber glass camper shell. I want to be able to remove my panels when not in use (I will only need them a few months of the year). Do any GZ users know of a wire gland or clam shell that is large enough to pass the 8mm connection points through? I'd rather not clip the wire to pass through the glands and have to splice them back together if possible.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Either way though, you're probably going to have to remove one connector from the cable - if the hole is big enough to pass the connector, it probably won't seal reliably on the cable jacket itself. The open-vs-closed tolerance of most gland nuts I've seen is maybe 1/16".

Either way though, you're probably going to have to remove one connector from the cable - if the hole is big enough to pass the connector, it probably won't seal reliably on the cable jacket itself. The open-vs-closed tolerance of most gland nuts I've seen is maybe 1/16".

I see what you mean. I think that I am going to have to cut both cables the first time and attach glands that are on the wires permanently and splice the connectors back on. After that I can just unscrew them when i want to remove them.

With that being said. I am really leery to drill a hole in my shell and glue a piece of ABS to it. It seems like the sun will eat that sucker away in a couple years. Has anyone ever made their own cable connector box out of aluminum with holes drilled in a box like this:

20210802_144905.jpg

Then use metal cable glands:

20210802_144849.jpg
I searched but could not find a metal combiner box, only ABS.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Are the goal-zero panels soldered at the panel end? They don't have to be. My Canadian Solar panels had spade crimps that were no wider than the cable diameter, so they would have fit through a gland. My Renogy panel, on the other hand, is soldered at the panel end...

Are the goal-zero panels soldered at the panel end? They don't have to be. My Canadian Solar panels had spade crimps that were no wider than the cable diameter, so they would have fit through a gland. My Renogy panel, on the other hand, is soldered at the panel end...

Yes, they're soldered.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
What about passing an insulated metal stud through and using ring terminals to just connect the wires on the outside when needed?

You can also buy pre-made wiring bulkhead connectors or flanges that can be capped with threaded pipe fittings.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
This is the style I use'

07518.gif

Have you considered a bulkhead connector? Just unplug it when you remove the panels.
I have and this looks like a great option. Problem is that I want to pass straight through the shell to connect straight to the goal zero yeti via its 8mm connectors with the shortest cable possible.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I have and this looks like a great option. Problem is that I want to pass straight through the shell to connect straight to the goal zero yeti via its 8mm connectors with the shortest cable possible.

Why the concern for shortest possible cable? aesthetics? Having 2-3” longer cable is insignificant electrically, and you can probably get better wire for outdoor use by choosing it yourself.

javajoe79

Fabricator
That's doable for sure. They're simple connections and there are tons of bulkhead options that would work. Plug the panels in to the camper top and plug the goal zero into the bulkhead from within. Then you don't have to undo the pass through each time you take the panels off.

These entry pucks from DIYvan work great for what you are talking about.
You can pass a connector through the hole and seal and screw the whole thing down
That's exactly what I was looking for. Wish they made one that was metal instead of plastic. I'm concerned about permanently attaching plastic with VHB. I guess the top portion that takes the brunt of the sun is replaceable at least.

Pinnacle Campers

Chateau spotter
That's exactly what I was looking for. Wish they made one that was metal instead of plastic. I'm concerned about permanently attaching plastic with VHB. I guess the top portion that takes the brunt of the sun is replaceable at least.
Its expanded PVC sheet that has been CNC cut.
You might want to cover the top with self leveling Dicor type sealant anyways....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94