Cabinetry in composite/'glass boxes?

Joe917

Explorer
[QUOTE

To support an upper cabinet a common technique is to take a long plan that runs the full horizontal length of the cabinet. Cut the top edge at a 45 chamfer tapering into the wall to make a lip. Make another board that looks identical but the lower edge is cut that board goes on the back of the cabinets. You can then epoxy/screw/pin the first plank in place. To install the cabinet you lift to height and hook it onto the first plank which supports the majority of the weight. Now you just need to secure the top edge to the wall.

[/QUOTE]

That may be OK for home building, but this installation requires you to build a full cabinet twice as heavy as just building a face and bottom.
Cabinetry can be put under huge lateral stresses, side to side can be far bigger than front to back.

aernan

Observer
One of my reasons for bonding in place is that the bulkheads that form the sides of my cabinets will provide structural reinforcement to my box. This will be much more effective with full bonds rather than point attachments.

I am doing quite a detailed full systems cad model prior to building that enables me to design in access for maintenance to hopefully avoid the need for cabinet removal.

The point about heat is really good. I'm using underfloor heating throughout so can incorporate this.
I am planning on hydronic heating as well. I think this will cover my boxes under the truck and the floor cabinets. I'm not sure what to do for the cabinets above the sink. Will you be running hydronics into those as well?

Badmiker

Snip...
To support an upper cabinet a common technique is to take a long plan that runs the full horizontal length of the cabinet. Cut the top edge at a 45 chamfer tapering into the wall to make a lip. Make another board that looks identical but the lower edge is cut that board goes on the back of the cabinets. You can then epoxy/screw/pin the first plank in place. To install the cabinet you lift to height and hook it onto the first plank which supports the majority of the weight. Now you just ...Snip

I like this idea of a French Cleat for the hanging cabinetry.

We are also looking at underfloor heating throughout the habitat.

nathane

I am planning on hydronic heating as well. I think this will cover my boxes under the truck and the floor cabinets. I'm not sure what to do for the cabinets above the sink. Will you be running hydronics into those as well?

Wasn't planning to. My design just has a 30cm x 30cm x100cm high level cupboard over the sink for dry goods. I hadn't thought about it before, but putting a vent grille into the rear at the bottom and at the top above the door might be a good idea for air circulation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94