Cabinetry education 101

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
I'm hoping early fall I'm going to rip out my entire interior and rebuild it. I have the help from a retired Carpenter who does some amazing work. So tell me, what do I need to know that is van specific and what kind of information should I be offering him?
Such as types of slides, hinges, hardware,, types of wood and where along with latches.

I'd like to start putting together a list and hopefully start ordering stuff over the summer to minimize lump sums lol

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Good grief, I know so little about this stuff but lucky to have a very good friend (the carpenter) who will probably make me do 80% to learn :)

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Birch plywood is very strong and light.
Have him think in terms of boat building for hurricanes, your rig will suffer more high freq vibration than most carpenters are used to thinking about.
Have him but "speed holes", in other words large diameter holes in interior side panels that remove excess material to save weight, because the battle is between wieght and strength, and wood has serious wgt.
Lots of folks are going with teflon strips as drawer bottom slides to save the wgt of sliders and the space lots to them...an idea
Netting is often better than cabinet doors on uppers
Search Paul Jensens Sprinter builds here on expo to see amazing work with design, materials and building for wgt & strength.

philos

Explorer
I'd let him know that there are really no square points/lines, so establishing a solid point of reference to build from REALLY matters.
Plus one on Paul's builds for reference...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz