Cabinet hardware sources

jammyauto

Adventurer
I'm looking for some sources fo cabinet hardware. I'm specificaly looking for some slam latches that are small in size for thin doors.
http://www.southco.com/ has some nice ones but I can't find a dealer anywhere that has them. The "beetle latch" seems perfect.

ANyone have any retail sources for high quality hardware?

chris_the_wrench

Fixer & Builder of Things
I'm looking for some sources fo cabinet hardware. I'm specificaly looking for some slam latches that are small in size for thin doors.
http://www.southco.com/ has some nice ones but I can't find a dealer anywhere that has them. The "beetle latch" seems perfect.

Westmarine carries Southco products:
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...Tag=Brand:SOUTHCO&PopularCat=No&storeId=10001
Hardware in general:
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...iTag=Category:Cabinet Hardware &storeId=10001

If you make it down to Costa Mesa ever you should check out Minniey's yacht surplus. They have bins full of hardware for 1/2 the price.

Good luck!
-Chris

jammyauto

Adventurer
Christian, my cabinets are all made of 1/8" birch plywood with fiberglass and west sytems epoxy. The doors on my galley are 3/8" thick with the trim.

Can I order from Reimo? Will they ship to the USA?

Chris, Westmarine only carries a ew items from the southco line. At my local store they told me that they can only get what is in the catalog. THanks thought. Looks like I need to find a "smaller" southco dealer who is willing to order stuff for me. Maybe southco is requiring thier dealers to order in quantity, I don't know.

Southco Inc.

Hi Seth,

Can you please tell me the part number(s) you are looking for? I can give you a list of distributors who can sell you the product ASAP.

Amy Lepre
Southco, Inc.

jammyauto

Adventurer
What service, I was'nt expecting a direct reply from southco on this forum. The latches I like are the beetle latches, part number MP-03-100-000. I'm in Santa Barbara, zip code is 93101. Thanks alot, Seth

dustboy

Explorer
Wow, that's some nifty hardware, stuff like that is hard to find. Especially if you don't want to pay West Marine markup!

Southco Inc.

Hi Seth,

Sorry it took me a bit to respond. Unfortunately, we don't have the part you are looking for in stock at our fulfillment center or with any of our distributors, so I was looking for other options for you.

Here is what we do have:

These two part numbers are available from our fulfillment center. You can click on the links below and request samples for free (shipping charges will apply).

MP-03-101-000 (Larger door thickness)
MP-03-100-550 (Non-locking, Black housing)

The second part number given above is also available from one of our distributors. You can contact the distributor directly to place an order.

MP-03-100-550 (Non-locking, black housing) [3 in stock]
Austin Hardware & Supply, Inc.
Elkhart IN USA
Email

I'd also like to suggest another similar product - our M1. Please see page 2 of this product literature for specifications. A sample part number and its availability with our distributors is listed below.

M1-62-8 is available from the following distributors:

AERO-SPACE SOUTHWEST INC
PHOENIX AZ 85027
Email
26 available

Dallas TX USA
Email
12 available

Bisco Industries
Glendale Heights IL USA
Email
8 available

Reading PA USA
Email
7 available

ECP Hardware LLC
Michigan-Ohio-Indiana
Email
www.ecph.com
7 available

Please let me know if I can further assist you in any way. I do apologize that we don't have your specific part number in stock.

Thank you,

Amy Lepre
Southco, Inc.

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
Not to change the subject, but can we hear more about the cabinet material, please ? Is it available or made from scratch ? This thread is very interesting and helpful.

Thanks. Thanks also to Amy (Southco) for posting.

Frank

I've seen these in person...WOW! Totally trick! I'll be following Seths lead when I build the interior of Libelula (that is if there is still wood available when I get around to it).

Good job Seth!!!

Christian, my cabinets are all made of 1/8" birch plywood with fiberglass and west sytems epoxy. The doors on my galley are 3/8" thick with the trim.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Yes I am also interested in more details about the cabinet material - I am not sure I can vizualise what it is...

jammyauto

Adventurer
Amy, Thanks very much! I was on the fence about chrome vs. black so I guess my latches will be black.

Here's some backround on the project; Not being overly impressed with the build quality of the sportsmobile interior vs cost (and also I like projects) I decided to order a bare van from sportsmobile. The great thing about sportsmobile is they will sell a partially built vehicle. Not many companies will do this. Here's the interior of the van when I got it from SMB.
UPKXC-DSCN0323.JPG

Since most SMB's are at or a little over GVW "wet weight" I wanted the interior to be a light as possible. I also wanted the interior to be tough and as rattle free as possible. My cabinets are built out of 1/8" birch plywood (Home depot) and held together with west systems epoxy and fiberglass. Actually the entire cabinets are coated with epoxy. This makes them water proof. Here is a detail picture of the cabinet construction
QFEWL-DSCN1295.JPG

YCHHA-DSCN1296.JPG

After the cabinets were glued together they were sanded smooth and painted with a marine grade paint seen here

DSCN2145(Medium).JPG

Last edited:

jammyauto

Adventurer
Here are some of the options that my SMB interior has that the regular SMB "RB50" interior does not have;
29 gallon fresh water tank
6 gallon isotherm dual heat exchange hot water heater (one coil fed by motor, the other fed by espar hydronic)
Lower bed is much wider at the top so when I sleep next to my wife we are not elbowing each other in the head. The lower portion of the bed is stock as we bought the rear folding seat frame from SMB.
Blue sea DC control panel with gauges. I can turn on or off anything and see what the amp draw is.
Here's my electronic panel
DSCN2146(Medium).JPG

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
That looks great ! ! !

What a great idea (seal the thin plywood in epoxy and join with fiberglass), making for a light, strong interior. Great.

(The interior I am planning will need to incorporate a stowable sleeping platform.)

What are the dimensions of your water tank and where did you put the water heater, may I ask ? I was looking seriously at the Webasto Dual Top (water heater/furnace), but the Isotherm system has a lot of appeal. For the furnace, I am looking at the "Thermo Top C."

Sorry for all the questions. Hope you don't mind.

Frank

Here's some backround on the project; Not being overly impressed with the build quality of the sportsmobile interior vs cost (and also I like projects) I decided to order a bare van from sportsmobile. The great thing about sportsmobile is they will sell a partially built vehicle. Not many companies will do this.

Since most SMB's are at or a little over GVW "wet weight" I wanted the interior to be a light as possible. I also wanted the interior to be tough and as rattle free as possible. My cabinets are built out of 1/8" birch plywood (Home depot) and held together with west systems epoxy and fiberglass. Actually the entire cabinets are coated with epoxy. This makes them water proof. Here is a detail picture of the cabinet construction
QFEWL-DSCN1295.JPG

After the cabinets were glued together they were sanded smooth and painted with a marine grade paint seen here

DSCN2145(Medium).JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles