Cabin Fever 2005 double cab Tundra "build"

what size spacers would you suggest or should I just get new 265 70 16 tires
Kevin

Kevin I personally don’t like the idea of spacers. I’ve ran them on race cars but those cars were inspected before every event. I wouldn’t want something else to worry about on my truck on long trips.

On factory suspension I was very happy with my 265/70r17 (same as 265/75r16). I think that is a great size on a stock truck, and no running to worry about even on stock wheels. But once again I ran the 255/80r17 with really no rubbing at stock height.

285 and you start needing wheels or spacers as I mentioned before.

dm me if you have any questions.

GoodEnoughforGabe

Adventurer
Cool build! I've had hub-centric spidertrax 1.25" spacers on my truck for quite some time. I've never ran into a single issue regarding wheel issues, suspension issues, or anything else from them. They ride tensioned against the factory hub, and then provide another hub centric area for the wheels to mount to. 6 nuts to secure spacer hub, 6 DIFF lugs to secure wheel to spacer. Don't go for the crappy spacers, get something solid and you'll have no issues. I use loctite every time I take them off and on, and then tighten them down star opposite star pattern just like I would a wheel. Only hassle is taking them off to replace rotors or mess around down there!

barongan

great work
o.png

Cool build! I've had hub-centric spidertrax 1.25" spacers on my truck for quite some time. I've never ran into a single issue regarding wheel issues, suspension issues, or anything else from them. They ride tensioned against the factory hub, and then provide another hub centric area for the wheels to mount to. 6 nuts to secure spacer hub, 6 DIFF lugs to secure wheel to spacer. Don't go for the crappy spacers, get something solid and you'll have no issues. I use loctite every time I take them off and on, and then tighten them down star opposite star pattern just like I would a wheel. Only hassle is taking them off to replace rotors or mess around down there!

I agree. Quality well built spacers are safe, and have been well tested now for decades. I ran them on track cars and comfortably trusted my safety to them.

My decision to not run spacer on this truck is more of an reliability factor. One less thing to have to check or to fail. (Even if the possibility is low)

More parts came in! Wheelers progressive aal pack. Delivery was delayed, then it showed up like this.

D004BEF9-AFE3-4123-8987-83AE739BB071.jpeg
Luckily nothing fell out. I contacted Wheeler’s, probably UPS’s fault but figured they wanted to see how their customers are receiving their product. Honestly I think better packing would have helped. A few paint chips needed to get touched up and one u bolt had some damaged threads but I had a die set to clean it up.

My 12v fridge also came in. Works and fits great but battery needs an upgrade. Ordered the X2 power 27f battery from battery plus (North Star). 92AH should be plenty to run the fridge overnight on trips and start truck in the morning. We usually drive the truck each day.

More photos coming after leaf install.

I Agree I have a few 5mm on a few of my cars but anything over that is a tad iffy.
I am thinking 265/70/16 and doing a simple 2" lift with the eibach kit. I have eibachs on few of my cars, others billies. I have heard the offroad billies are not great, any thoughts?
Kevin

265/70r16 is a factory size....it will work fine.
Half of lifted Toyota’s out there are on bilsteins. Comes factory for many models.
So I’m not sure where you got that opinion...

I’m trying to do a build thread here. Feel free do DM if you have any questions on your vehicle.

Kpack

Adventurer
More parts came in! Wheelers progressive aal pack. Delivery was delayed, then it showed up like this.

View attachment 584217
Luckily nothing fell out. I contacted Wheeler’s, probably UPS’s fault but figured they wanted to see how their customers are receiving their product. Honestly I think better packing would have helped. A few paint chips needed to get touched up and one u bolt had some damaged threads but I had a die set to clean it up.

My 12v fridge also came in. Works and fits great but battery needs an upgrade. Ordered the X2 power 27f battery from battery plus (North Star). 92AH should be plenty to run the fridge overnight on trips and start truck in the morning. We usually drive the truck each day.

More photos coming after leaf install.
I'm curious to see what you think of the Wheelers progressive AAL once you have it installed. It's an option I'm thinking of in the future. Right now I have the single Wheeler's AAL and it's working but I've always been curious if the 3 leaf AAL gives a plusher ride.

I'm curious to see what you think of the Wheelers progressive AAL once you have it installed. It's an option I'm thinking of in the future. Right now I have the single Wheeler's AAL and it's working but I've always been curious if the 3 leaf AAL gives a plusher ride.

Kevin so far the ride feels great. It feels firmer when it comes to body rolling, braking and dips. Yet it handles bumps and impacts like pot holes smoother. No more bottoming out in the rear. I do wish I got a little more lift out of them, but then again I have a topper and a drawer system. I’m not using the factory overload. Install was pretty simple, even the dreaded upper shock mount. I did have an issue with the aal overlapping the factory clamp. Doesn’t seem to be effecting anything.

844A36C3-4490-4AA7-8242-0E0B50F70E6E.jpegD23B60FF-6100-40D8-8ECA-864EFAEC9F9A.jpeg

Bilsteins all around set to 3rd notch up front. Wheelers 3pack aal in rear with no overload spring. Truck is basically sitting at 22” hub to fender on all four corners. From factory height with the topper (no drawers yet) this was a 2” increase front and 1” rear. We’ll see how it all settles.

Tires 255/80r17

8C1F1293-6B5F-4948-B5FE-302CE6C9FCFF.jpeg7BBD7333-E067-4B88-BD4E-D92C2B16E238.jpeg

smokeysevin

Observer
I would grind the leaf back so you have at least 1/4" between it and the clamp. If the AAL is directional (not sure it is or not) is the pack installed the correct direction?

Sean

I would grind the leaf back so you have at least 1/4" between it and the clamp. If the AAL is directional (not sure it is or not) is the pack installed the correct direction?

Sean

Sean the pack is directional but this is the correct orientation. The clamp in front is even closer so it definitely wouldn’t work that way. These were made for Tacomas originally so maybe tundra fitment was an afterthought?

smokeysevin

Observer
Sean the pack is directional but this is the correct orientation. The clamp in front is even closer so it definitely wouldn’t work that way. These were made for Tacomas originally so maybe tundra fitment was an afterthought?
Got it, i figured it was correct but had to ask. That is interesting about the taco springs.

Sean

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

The new fridge also came in. This is what I purchased: https://www.amazon.com/Alpicool-Portable-Refrigerator-Freezer-Vehicle/dp/B07L3FLBQ4

This is the same as the Costway and other rebranded models floating around amazon. It’s pretty efficient and well insulated, gets to temperature quickly and maintains it well. I removed the 40 section of the rear seat and it fit like a glove. I purchased a 27f North Star battery to handle the fridge. Based on my calculations the fridge could run none stop for close to 20hrs before being worried about starting. Once the battery comes in I’ll wire a female socket directly to it. From the battery to the back seat what gauge wire is recommended? Arb kit comes with 10awg so that was my plan. I’ll probably also run a socket to the bed for plugging in phones.

My typical trips into the Rockies has me typically driving the truck everyday, I'm hoping the single high performing battery will cover my basic needs. I also never leave on a trip with out my overkill snap-on jumper pack. Not only will it help with starting a dead battery it will also run the fridge for 8+ hrs if needed.

I'm researching some solar options for extended stays in one place.

5D885987-A054-44F1-A74B-E093DA927AD5.jpeg9BB423BD-7042-4E4F-8E67-FC5420C4D0C3.jpegBE062996-2E9F-4F41-A8F6-50555F2B4071.jpeg

Last edited:

Kpack

Adventurer
Glad you got the suspension all taken care of. I kept the overload leaf in on my truck because I needed the extra lift and capacity, especially for towing. So far I don't think it's affected the ride at all.

Looking good on the truck. Glad to see another 1st gen on here.

idriveabox

That overload would have given you more lift (stating the obvious) but IMO sacrifices some ride quality. Also running the wheeler 3 pack and rear bilstein. Truck looks good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles