Cabin Fever 2005 double cab Tundra "build"

I get wire from westmarine.

Sean

There isn't one in San Antonio :cry:

I wonder if Altex carries automotive grade wire? Worst case scenario, from my research the thhn wire should work fine especially in such a heavy gauge. It just doesn't bend as easily but, I think all other "cons" of thhn wire shouldn't effect my needs.

smokeysevin

Observer
There isn't one in San Antonio :cry:

I wonder if Altex carries automotive grade wire? Worst case scenario, from my research the thhn wire should work fine especially in such a heavy gauge. It just doesn't bend as easily but, I think all other "cons" of thhn wire shouldn't effect my needs.
It is more about the insulation (temp and resistance to fluids) and strand count (Vibration durability/longevity and flexibility) than anything else.

thhn wire is not always rated to the same temp and the insulation is not always fuel/oil resistant. GXL/TXL or Marine wire is the way to do it, even that should have an additional layer of protection over it.

Sean

It is more about the insulation (temp and resistance to fluids) and strand count (Vibration durability/longevity and flexibility) than anything else.

thhn wire is not always rated to the same temp and the insulation is not always fuel/oil resistant. GXL/TXL or Marine wire is the way to do it, even that should have an additional layer of protection over it.

Sean

I appreciate the information. The thhn wire I picked up is gas and oil resistant so at least it has a better coating. I also am wrapping it in loom for some added abrasion protection. The lower strand count does make it stiffer but should still route to where I need it fine. The Blue Sea panel came in today so I started getting everything wired up.

Got the rest of the wiring done. Ran 10 awg to the rear accessory panel and reworked the cap wiring for the dome light and third break light.

Always nervous when you start cutting sheet metal but the provided template makes things easier.

F3BCCEFA-4750-4F6E-9901-0F448BEC03C7.jpegBDCDCB86-3191-42B6-B28D-10DB84F0B485.jpeg

Built a 20ft harness and redid the cap wiring while I was at it. Expandable loom and heat shrink makes everything look better. Also added a grommet, because details matter.

1ADC6FD9-54A1-4766-9C49-ECB39EF0D46C.jpeg
6D7D4279-5AB7-4CDE-95D8-8865F203FB17.jpeg
F2DAAB7A-A607-4A2A-9FFB-CDBF71438B65.jpeg2F7CE64C-2D12-43DD-BCCE-28C5964729A5.jpeg

It’s nice to finally wire the dome light to battery so we can use it with the car off. Replaced the 906 bulb for 912 LED bulb while I was at it, more light using less power.

E1BAB836-8D01-4FD6-963F-FFE624014094.jpeg

And everything neatly tied back into the fuse block.

2CB66FC9-3D7A-4B82-B0BB-7A22268F1BA9.jpeg

This should really be all the power we need. We are constantly on the move and rarely go more than a day with out driving so battery should power the fridge plus a few other small items overnight with plenty of amp hours to spare. (Booster pack as a back up)

After the suspension settled down on the truck it sat exactly leveled front to back at around 22” center hub to fender. However with a reverse yota lean, driver side was sitting almost an inch higher than the passenger.

BC8A2518-806C-49BA-B4DE-2A30F66A47E2.jpeg

I decided to install my factory overloads leafs back on to get some more out of the rear. With the drawers and cap I probably should have left them on to begin with when I first installed the wheelers aal.

Just had to pick up a 3/8 bolt and do a quick grind job.

794EDE7B-E7F8-4FC5-AABE-2BAEEF938777.jpeg

Got dark before I could get a photo of the truck but it leveled things out! Measuring hub to fender the front is sitting at 22” left and 21 3/4” right. Rear is now at 23” left and 22 3/4” right. With me in the truck it’s leveled, even with the big dinner I ate.

The factory overloads are actually taller than 1/2” like everyone seems to state it’s actually closer to an inch. Truck now has the little rake I wanted, looks and drives great.

Yakima had an online sale going on so I picked up a Skinnywarrior with the extension and net.

6F6DE6AD-2CE7-414A-A0A2-2BC35EEA4E51.jpeg

I needed something to work with the rod vault, every other rack would have been too wide. With plenty of storage in the truck this will serve the purpose of carrying thing you don’t want inside. Fuel, firewood, shovel and for drying wet waders and boots.

I still have plenty of room for the next piece of the puzzle. An awning....

Gone back and forth on deciding if I “need” one, but even the ARB is reasonably priced so I’m pulling the trigger. Arb 2500 should cover the whole side of the bed plus the rear door where the fridge is located.

Oh and in looking for a camp shower option I ran into these. Costco has them online for $150 as a kit. Anyone own one? Seems like a step up from the other bottle sprayer options. And it would attach to the roof rack, warm showers at the end of the day(y)

A3177361-3F8B-4BEE-A06A-C01F8A679351.jpeg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles