cabin cooler, modern insulation for aging monteros

In the years I've been behind the wheel of my gen 1 monterro, I've had numerous adventures -pleasant and not so pleasant.
one companion with me on all of these , was road noise, and lack of temperature control.
I am driving a greenhouse on wheels, which of course, means hot in summer, a cold storage in winter.

I wanted to address these discomforts.
I found it to be the easiest solution, and most rewarding of all of my extensive modifications to this vehicle.

road noise, with tires I need to have on my rig, almost precluded any conversation at normal volume. I have removed rear seat, and have cargo common to a ****'ll time expeditionier. but that did not muffle.

so....
in the roaring inferno that is north central Nevada high desert in the summer, I began to address this issue.
first: charge the a/c.
had to use 134 in a 12 system.
yea, I know , shame on me , but I'm 700 miles from my r-12 bottle; I've ordered parts for an A/c rebuild come winter.

next , insulation.
thanks fer reading this far, as I believe I have found an ideal insulation that is cheap, and very effective.
After purchasing 300 dollars of the commercial stuff, and having modest success, I needed a "top coat".
a final layer over the rubber sticky sheets I had installed to interior body skin areas to reduce the pitch of harmonics.

I went to hardware store in this town of no great consequence where I'm stationed, and found even in this backwater the best insulation I've used to date....and it's cheap, really cheap, and works like crazy , better than the ensolite and the expensive stereo comp. stuff.
it's brand name is reflectix.
comes in 100 foot rolls, weighs nothing, and will lay up with permatex headliner aerosol glue .
the finished job will make u look like a pro on ur first go.

results to be filed after this weekend. we are expecting 100 farenheit, I can
take readings in direct sunlight outside door skin, inside door skin, and inside door skin through the reflectix.

next, remove glass, have it gold tinted.
replace window felts at same time..
finish the repaint of black exterior window borders.... like ranch work the jobs never end.
but this is a giant step in the right direction.

What tricks have you done to address the substandard insulation of ur rigs?

yes I use similar in strips to reduce harmonics in road vibrations or most importantly for the stereo comp. fellows in uuwanted harmonics.

Noico, rammat, summits version, all good,

but ineffective for thermal insulation, and its heavy. the reflectix, is heaven sent for operator comfort , as a top coat.

ZMagic97

Explorer
I’m excited to hear more. My WJ Grand Cherokee is tinted and takes a while to cool down and still doesn’t get as cold as I want. AC blows cold and I think insulation is next. I’m in Arizona do I understand the heat.

I learned that u can use a cheaply priced product like thermtec from summit, which is a smelly butyl rubber, and use my new fav. reflectix , bonded to the sticky side.
this creates a somewhat stiff ,double side reflective foil and seals in the stink.
lay the foil side of the therm tec , down, and reflectix up.
glue it in fairly small patches cut with sharp razor knife to the bottom of the carpet .
this holds it in place but makes for easier removal for when water gets under the pad after crossings
heat coming up from road surface don't get in, heat or cool in cabin stays in.
behind pedals and kick panels, just glue it in with headliner cement or equiv.

and.... I'm experimenting with a ceramic coating for the roof, inside and out to both reflect and retain .
window tint. there is the traditional film, but I'm looking into vinyl wrap, surface treatment too, which might accomplish the same thing with potential benefit unavailable with perm.
tint

Oso

Forest Defecator
and.... I'm experimenting with a ceramic coating for the roof, inside and out to both reflect and retain .

Which ceramic coating? If it’s the one associated with Al’s liner, you might consider another option. I used double the recommended mil thickness and the difference, while noticeable, isn’t nearly enough to justify the cost or labor. Reflectix on the other hand is good stuff.

I've researched similar results to yours, and I too am skeptical.
currently I'm looking at a number of proven industrial products, including the purchase of the granulated ceramic , and mixing my own.
not sure yet and the costs involved are substantial.
I need a number of projects to use it on b4 dropping what amounts to 600 or so dollars,
on materials.
coatings are impressively complex field.
I'd I can get SAE papers concerning testing, I can decide with a reasonable degree of certainty as to what I should do.

Schitzangiggles

King of Macastan
I've used this stuff on houses and it works pretty well and doesn't break the bank
Less than $15 per gallon of paint used. Buy it in bulk and the price gets to be around $10 per gallon or so. I've used it with water based and oil based paint.

thank you for this. hytech is an option I looked into, and yours is the first forthright result I was able to track.
if I went this way a clear coat with the granules would be nice, or else white roof, if it don't look too stupid with mitsu maroon.
lay it on hope for the advertised 31 degrees but take what I can get.

now, I've tamed or brought to heel many errant road noises, like muffler pipe drone (reflectix behind the cargo bay panel passenger sideshuts down all pipe noise),
and I've developed enough decibel drop to hear, now specific noises and their sources.

the one road noise I'm really strughling with is tire noise.
I buy the walmart version of the wrangler authority.
it is a VERY good tire for my needs.but noisey. I've packed the kick panels, floor , wheel wells in rear, and still get a ton of noise.
I'm thinking plastic wheel well liners, if such a thing exists for a gen 1.
insulation in the engine bay.
long mud flaps that wrap up around the wheel well

does anyone have other suggestions for canceling road tire noise?

Schitzangiggles

King of Macastan
Have you thought about using some butyl caulk or a couple of thicker layers of the rubberized under coating?
Most of the better sound deadning materials have a butyl based component. I am an HVACR tech and we use a foil backed butyl tape for sound deadning on ductwork and also use a water based "duct seal" product and it really knocks out the loud tinny sounds the ductwork transmits through it.
our foil backed tapes look but like the butyl weather seal tapes you can find at the hardware store. You made need a few layers, but because it is backed with aluminum foil, it has a low thermal emissivity as well.
Stuff like this https://www.lowes.com/pd/Design-Polymerics-64-fl-oz-Gray-Duct-Sealant/3736193

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz