CA18_Sean's HJ75 Troopy - Build & Restore Thread

You make very important distinctions.

In a 4x4 only situation, ie- mine site operations, they are a very inexpensive way to have a positive locked differential.

Carrying spare parts is a good idea if you're using the truck for heavy use, whether for work or pleasure.

But that distinction is something each person needs to accept. Maybe the vehicle is street driven. Maybe the clicking and "in-out" operation is not something the driver wants to deal with. Maybe they don't want to carry spares. Limited slips can be adjusted with shims or different thickness clutch plates to make them more or less grabby and if the proper friction modified gear oil is used, they last quite a long time...in mild to medium use applications. So the main distinction here is the intended use of the vehicle. The user has to adjust their expectations for either scenario.

I have seen the toothed gears break in half. I have also seen them wear out so the teeth are rounded and thereby leaving metal shavings in the diff.

ca18_sean

Adventurer
Both very good points. Mine is an 89 so same diff front and rear. I did like the Detroit locker in my 4Runner. Almost couldn't tell it was there unless you needed the extra traction. But at $250 per diff and I don't need set up the R&P it's hard to say no. Are Lokka diffs the same as Aussie diffs? In the quick google search it seems like people are saying they are the same company, different branding depending where it's sold.

This truck will be a camping/off roading truck only. I have a Tacoma that I daily drive. That being said there will likely be plenty of highway driving to and from my off roading.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Can you run a Lokka in the front and have it when you lock your hubs and an ARB in the back? I personally prefer ARB front and rear but it's not a cheap option. I have never used anything in the front other than ARBs, so not sure if it's feasible. I know some are a totally bad idea but not that educated on what is passable. What about FZJ E-locker 3rds in your difs?

ca18_sean

Adventurer
Yes, with manual hubs and selectable 4wd I could do something like that. Luckily it isn't full time 4wd like an 80 series.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
If you are going to run an ARB I would put it in the front. Easier to switch that off when you need to do a tight turn while in 4wd.

From memory (risky proposition) the guys that make the Lokka where the original supplier for Aussie Lockers. Then they came out with ones they sourced elsewhere.

But at $240 delivered with an hours extra work to fit them when you have the axles out to do the hubs it's not a lot of $$$$ to risk.

ca18_sean

Adventurer
If you are going to run an ARB I would put it in the front. Easier to switch that off when you need to do a tight turn while in 4wd.

From memory (risky proposition) the guys that make the Lokka where the original supplier for Aussie Lockers. Then they came out with ones they sourced elsewhere.

But at $240 delivered with an hours extra work to fit them when you have the axles out to do the hubs it's not a lot of $$$$ to risk.

I probably should have done that before I rebuilt the front and rear axles huh... lol. Either way I'll probably just throw something in the back to start with and see how it goes.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I probably should have done that before I rebuilt the front and rear axles huh... lol. Either way I'll probably just throw something in the back to start with and see how it goes.

I think you'll be very pleasantly surprised how capable that Troopy will be even with open difs. I used to take my BJ60 with open difs places that people could not believe. The weight balance and the low end torque let it just idle through and over just about anything you'll encounter in the southeast. Except of course for mud... There's a reason it's ih8mud!

I've wheeled many rigs with open diffs, but any locker makes it something less to worry about.

If funds allow, I'd go ARB up front. Even with an open rear, a locked front will help pull you up and over most anything. Now if it's mud and snow you're dealing with, that's a different set of rules.

ca18_sean

Adventurer
Good to know. Thanks for the input guys. Lots to think about! Eventually we would like to travel west and maybe even south of the border. But now I'm just getting ahead of myself...

Got the front bumper back from paint today. Also got some new TJM stickers for it. I love the black bumper look so much more than the raw aluminum.

Untitled by CA18 Sean, on Flickr

Untitled by CA18 Sean, on Flickr

Last edited:

RadarVector

Party on Wayne
Super jealous! I'm one of the many people who've always wanted a Troopy in the states. Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles