CA18_Sean's HJ75 Troopy - Build & Restore Thread

ca18_sean

Adventurer
Your 4runner paint turned out awesome, excited to see how this turns out.

Thank you! I painted that one with a roller in the garage. Definitely a budget build... I will be having the paint shop that paints all my work equipment do the troopy.

ca18_sean

Adventurer
Thanks guys! Seeing all the pics again has really got me excited to finish up the rust repairs and get it painted!

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
If you are still thinking of adding lockers I would recommend the Lokka ones out of Australia (but you buy them cheaper in the USA, go figure). I put a set in my 6 wheeler and it really made a difference. There is a set waiting for me in Australia to put in the troopy.

What I liked about them was that:
1- They were cheap, under $300 ea delivered to my door in Phoenix. (I bet the TSA guy were scratching their heads when they scanned my luggage for Australia)
2- Easy to fit. No special tools, no having to play with the ring and pinion, no pressing things about.
3- Can be done without a shop. As long as you can pull the diff you can fit these.

http://lokka.com/site/

Actually just checked $249 delivered in the USA. (if you have a limited slip they are a bit dearer).

Anyway keep up the good work. Seeing yours makes me consider shipping mine over (1991 1HZ with an extra door shoehorned into the side)

Last edited:

Dances with Wolves

aka jk240sx
Lookin good dude. I was thinking about you the other day. I was talking with a buddy in New Tampa and asked if he's seen a troopy running around town. I sent him a link to your build. If a big Indian dude waves at you and wants you to pull over, it's Rinku, he's cool.

If you are still thinking of adding lockers I would recommend the Lokka ones out of Australia (but you buy them cheaper in the USA, go figure). I put a set in my 6 wheeler and it really made a difference. There is a set waiting for me in Australia to put in the troopy.

What I liked about them was that:
1- They were cheap, under $300 ea delivered to my door in Phoenix. (I bet the TSA guy were scratching their heads when they scanned my luggage for Australia)
2- Easy to fit. No special tools, no having to play with the ring and pinion, no pressing things about.
3- Can be done without a shop. As long as you can pull the diff you can fit these.

http://lokka.com/site/

Actually just checked $249 delivered in the USA. (if you have a limited slip they are a bit dearer).

Anyway keep up the good work. Seeing yours makes me consider shipping mine over (1991 1HZ with an extra door shoehorned into the side)

I would stay away from those type of lockers. They wear out and/or break. They cause on-road handling issues, premature tire wear, etc.

A better choice for on-road use would be a simple old school limited slip.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
I would stay away from those type of lockers. They wear out and/or break. They cause on-road handling issues, premature tire wear, etc.

A better choice for on-road use would be a simple old school limited slip.

What did you use them in and what was the failure????

What can wear out or break. There is only a set of pins and springs. The only downside I have found is a little bit of noise (clicking) when cornering and if you provide positive power when cornering it will push you into the corner.

With limited slip diffs you have clutches to wear and the same issue when you power into a corner. Also having suffered from multiple failures with the Toyota limited slip unit (I used to manage a fleet of land cruisers on a mine site) I would not rely on them long term. The fail and they are a PITA to repair.

Then at $239 you can carry a spare or just carry the gears you took out of the diff in the first place as spare. Or carry a set of pins & springs if you are going to do a long long trip.

If you are lucky enough to have the early land cruisers they had the same diff back and front (up to 90 or 91 I think). So you are carrying a spare anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles