CA Coastal Commission to revoke [ALL] OHV access to Pismo Dunes

Superduty

Adventurer
Hopefully, some of you are still following this thread. I am pasting in some info re Oceano. Thank you Jared for this info. This is critical. Need to act today.

OCEANO DUNES CRITICAL ALERT!

We need your help! After watching this video, please take a few minutes to do the following listed items. It is absolutely up to each and every one of us now if we are going to save Oceano Dunes. We can win this fight, but we need your voices and need you to fight! If anyone has questions, please send me an email me at jared.macleod@corva.org
Thank you!

Watch this video

1. FRIENDS OF OCEANO DUNES PAGE
https://www.facebook.com/FriendsofOceanoDunes/

2. REGISTER TO SPEAK AT THE CALIFORNIA COASTAL COMMISSION MEETING ON THURSDAY JULY 9:
https://www.coastal.ca.gov/meetings/agenda/#/2020/7

3. MAKE THESE PHONE CALLS TODAY!:

Governor Gavin Newsom
(916) 445-2841

Jack Ainsworth CCC Executive Director (415)-904-5202

Lisa Mangat, Director, California State Parks,
916-653-8380

Wade Crowfoot, Secretary of Resources
916-653-5656

Jordan Cunningham, Assembly Member
805-549-3381

Vincent Fong, Bakersfield
661-395-2295

Kevin McCarthy, House of Representatives 661-327-3611

Devin Nunes, Congressman
(559) 733-3861

4. READ THE CAL COAST NEWS ARTICLE. THEN SEND AN EMAIL TO ALL OF THE EMAIL LIST BELOW. TELL THEM HOW YOU FEEL ABOUT THE CORRUPTION AT THE APCD & CCC, AND HOW YOU FEEL ABOUT THE CEASE AND DESIST ISSUE TO STATE PARKS BY THE CCC CALLING FOR THE CLOSURE OF OCEANO DUNES SVRA. Be sure to ask for their response to the Cal Coast News article, and include the link in your email:

secretary@resources.ca.gov
Lisa.mangat@parks.ca.gov
Liz.mcguirk@parks.ca.gov
John.Ainsworth@coastal.ca.gov
Bod@oceanodunes.org
Jared.macleod@corva.org
Tara.Lynch@parks.ca.gov
Kathryn.Tobias@parks.ca.gov
info@slocleanair.org
gwilley@co.slo.ca.us
secretary@resources.ca.gov
dan.canfield@parks.ca.gov
mshah@groverbeach.org
jpeschong@co.slo.ca.us
bgibson@co.slo.ca.us
ahill@co.slo.ca.us
lcompton@co.slo.ca.us
darnold@co.slo.ca.us
rfonzi@atascadero.org
jhamon@prcity.com
crayrussom@arroyogrande.org
jpaulding@arroyogrande.org
kstorton@arroyogrande.org
lgeorge@arroyogrande.org
apease@slocity.org
ewaage@pismobeach.org
jheadding@morrobayca.gov
OHVInfo_OHV@parks.ca.gov
Kevin.Kahn@coastal.ca.gov
Donne.Brownsey@coastal.ca.gov
Stephen.Padilla@coastal.ca.gov
Effie.Turnbull-Sanders@coastal.ca.gov
Sara.Aminzadeh@coastal.ca.gov
Caryl.Hart@coastal.ca.gov
mike.wilson@coastal.ca.gov
Katie.Rice@coastal.ca.gov
Linda.Escalante@coastal.ca.gov
Erik.Howell@coastal.ca.gov
Roberto.Uranga@coastal.ca.gov
Carole.Groom@coastal.ca.gov
Info@jordancunningham.org

THANK YOU EVERYONE!

PLEASE SHARE & SPREAD THE WORD!

chet6.7

Explorer
This is a link to the latest article.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Born and raised CA as well. Been away for 18 yrs or so. Unfortunately was sent back here the for the last two years. And thankfully on my way out next month. As amazing as the landscape is, unfortunately the general populous (ie: large urban areas) turn the whole place to $hit.
Look at Seattle and Portland too. The left virus is everywhere. People looking to be offended and with their hands out looking for another freebie courtesy of the working middle class. Where's all the good moderate Democrats? Wetting their pants and saying "it's all for the common good". Wimps.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Physical access to the public land? Yes.

Access by any means? No. Access can be regulated by the government, just as it is in other public spaces. Just because it's public land doesn't mean anyone can do whatever they want on it, even if the 9th Circuit thinks that's the way it should be. I'm sure that seemed like a swell ruling, but I doubt they'd hold to it if they had people living on the easement in front of their homes.

The only hope I see of continued access for OHVs will be more structured use, and it'd be smart for OHV proponents to promote plans that reasonably address the concerns of the people against their use. Since air quality is one of the major issues, whatever is proposed should have independent monitoring to demonstrate the efficacy of the plan, with measures to take already in the plan to enact if the air quality fails to improve.

Limiting engine displacement, mandating muffler requirements, permits, and banning camping and/or fires, would all seem to address the complaints, but still allow OHV use. If the OHV community doesn't take an active role in making improvements, they'll have to live with whatever their opponents decide. It seems like the Closers are more numerous and better organized, so telling them to piss off will have predictable results.
Pismo has become completely stupid on a scale that makes this proposal expected. Hundreds of massive toy haulers dragged out on the dunes bro trucks ripping around 24/7 along with modified dune machines plus the beach party rave trend. Its bonkers. I’m actually surprised its been allowed for as long as it has.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Exactly, trash removal is another example. Hikers and equestrians are awful at trash removal. But MVs, make it easy to pack out what you packed in and more.
You never worked a pack station I guess? Its pretty shocking the stuff pack outfits haul out of the Sierras doing clean up.

Mike W.

Pismo has become completely stupid on a scale that makes this proposal expected. Hundreds of massive toy haulers dragged out on the dunes bro trucks ripping around 24/7 along with modified dune machines plus the beach party rave trend. Its bonkers. I’m actually surprised its been allowed for as long as it has.
Another example of those who don't share the same enjoyment deciding what's good for the poor working class. Californians have a server problem with snobbery. If you read the survey they based the original proposal on and the one done during the Pandemic you can clearly see the environmental impact was a false narrative. So now the developer's have decided let's just screw the public and forget the reason ...

Heading Out

Adventurer
Born and raised CA as well. Been away for 18 yrs or so. Unfortunately was sent back here the for the last two years. And thankfully on my way out next month. As amazing as the landscape is, unfortunately the general populous (ie: large urban areas) turn the whole place to $hit.

I agree with this,

Also born and raised in So Cal , California isn't the problem it's the people that live there.
We tapped out last year. just had enough.... life is better on the outside.

Pismo has been chipped away at for years, when I first began visiting the dunes we could enter at Oso Flaco Lake.
As has been said about people that buy a home near a (insert location here)
and then complain about something that has been there for years, decades, centuries...
The plover is an excuse that is used on so many CA beaches and sometimes even to exclude all access, period.

When all ATV use is shut down in CA the manufacturers will have no market, they need to be more vocal and also advertise
in a more responsible way instead of showing their product throwing a giant rooster tail. the Anti's see that and think all users
operate in that manner.

Last edited:

Mike W.

I agree with this,

Also born and raised in So Cal , California isn't the problem it's the people that live there.
We tapped out last year. just had enough.... life is better on the outside.

Pismo has been chipped away at for years, when I first began visiting the dunes we could enter at Oso Flaco Lake.
As has been said about people that buy a home near a (insert location here)
and then complain about something that has been there for years, decades, centuries...
The plover is an excuse that is used on so many CA beaches and sometimes even to exclude all access, period.

When all ATV use is shut down in CA the manufacturers will have no market, they need to be more vocal and also advertise
in a more responsible way instead of showing their product throwing a giant rooster tail. the Anti's see that and think all users
operate in that manner.
We would go in through the Gonzalez gate by Devil's Slide.. pull the buggy out with our flatbed and build bonfires out of broken pallets..Race the slide all weekend. Still have that sweet blown 400 small block buggy in a garage in California..my first trip to the Dunes was around 1975..Went back probably for the last time last year. I won't spend my dollars in California anymore when I can go to places freedoms are still respected..

Porkchopexpress

I was born and raised in Grover Beach, (right next to Oceano) but haven't been back since graduating college other than passing through. I have some good memories of watching hill climbs and driving my Toyota truck on the dunes but it is very unlikely I would ever drive on the dunes again so I have no dog in the fight. Even when I lived there, I knew it was just a matter of time before California shut it down given the political climate and population growth.

CoyoteThistle

Adventurer
For all those dismissing California as a liberal bastion, I beg to differ. In 2020 we voted against labor unions, with big business, rejected tax hikes on businesses, and voted against affirmative action and rent control. We're a blue state, but not super liberal as a whole. We do however have fairly strong laws protecting the environment, especially along the coast and those laws are generally popular. With so many people and so little open space left along the coast, it makes sense that lots of people want to protect what's left.

Blaming the liberals for loss of OHV access is easy but it ignores reality: in southern California, OHVers do tremendous damage to natural and cultural resources on public lands. The general public sees this, and that's part of the reason the community is under so much fire here. This has long been true out in the desert, but evolving views by the public on the ecological value of beaches and coastal dunes likely played a big part in this case.

As far as Oceano goes, also spread some blame to State Parks. As I understand it, the Commission rejected their first proposal as too impactful. State Parks' revised plan proposed even more OHV access to sensitive areas. I think it was only a matter of time before the area was closed to OHV's, but it seems like State Parks wasn't afraid to speed up the process. The Coastal Commission obliged.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
For all those dismissing California as a liberal bastion, I beg to differ. In 2020 we voted against labor unions, with big business, rejected tax hikes on businesses, and voted against affirmative action and rent control. We're a blue state, but not super liberal as a whole. We do however have fairly strong laws protecting the environment, especially along the coast and those laws are generally popular. With so many people and so little open space left along the coast, it makes sense that lots of people want to protect what's left.

Blaming the liberals for loss of OHV access is easy but it ignores reality: in southern California, OHVers do tremendous damage to natural and cultural resources on public lands. The general public sees this, and that's part of the reason the community is under so much fire here. This has long been true out in the desert, but evolving views by the public on the ecological value of beaches and coastal dunes likely played a big part in this case.

As far as Oceano goes, also spread some blame to State Parks. As I understand it, the Commission rejected their first proposal as too impactful. State Parks' revised plan proposed even more OHV access to sensitive areas. I think it was only a matter of time before the area was closed to OHV's, but it seems like State Parks wasn't afraid to speed up the process. The Coastal Commission obliged.
For sure not a Liberal thing. The Pismo dunes crowds factor is hard to grasp if you haven’t been in recent years. A friend just out of Medical school worked the Pismo area during peak Dune season as ER staff. The level of impact on the area goes way beyond just native grasses and blowing sand.

That old saying moderation is key? It applies to crowds and vehicles also. Even our National Parks have been scrambling to find ways to reduce vehicle traffic. I just read Glacier NP is going to use a ticket system much like Yosemite started last summer during the Pandemic restrictions. Just too many vehicles. Add no fixed roads, beach partying, ATVs and its just a recipe for disaster and lock downs.

The comment about East Coast being far harsher on ATV trail abuse was an interesting point. You look at pretty much any country with 1st world courts and Environmental interests your not going to find the level of ATV freedom on beaches and river beds we see here in CA. Even Oregon takes these issues seriously and seems to have far more policing.

On another note I know a few families who owe more $ to the bank for their Dunes toys than they could ever repay. Keeping up appearances via toys is a big part of the Dunes culture that hasn’t been kind to many families finances either?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles