C6500 TopKick Law Enforcement Vehicle Conversion - Kinda Campulance

SteveThompson

Hi Everyone.

Long time listener, first time caller. I've been lurking here for years. I always thought I would do a build some day. A vehicle came along that I couldn't resist, although it was a little earlier than I had planned.

Over the weekend we bought a 2002 C6500 TopKick. It has been converted by Wolf Coach and is called a Weapons of Mass Destruction / Unified Command Suite. It is similar to an ambulance, but more rugged. It includes all kinds of electronics and electrical systems as well as a 13kw Onan diesel generator. As if that wasn't enough, it only has 10k original miles. That's why I bought it. There are parts that are like new. The cab interior looks like the day it came off the assembly line.

I'll do a better job with pictures later, but it was raining this morning.

Our daughter still has a year of high school left, so I know progress will be slow for now. I had planned to buy something in a year, but I couldn't resist.

I am open to any and all suggestions of what to do with this thing. I am planning on a typical ambulance type conversion with a bed, fridge, toilet, etc.

My first job is to get the generator running. Right now it doesn't start. It seems like the fuel has a shutoff somewhere. Anybody here an expert on diesel generators?

My first big job is I would like to do a super single conversion. I have read lots about it, but I need some help. It seems like there is no consensus on how to do a conversion on a Kodiak/TopKick. I am not particularly budget limited. I would like to get some increased ground clearance and have a little more off-road ability. Since it is two wheel drive, I don't intend to do anything crazy. Does anybody know the easiest way to get it on singles without going crazy with the lift, etc? It looks like maybe wheel adapters are the best choice.

I'll stop the intro here for now, but I'll try to keep this thread updated as things move along.

Thanks for reading!

OverlandFT

Congrats, we're gonna need some more pictures of that beasty truck!

I did super singles on my Ram from Stazworks and I think they had options for the Kodiaks too. I called the shop and the owner was very helpful with all my questions and options. Worth a look...

SteveThompson

I made a little progress on the generator. I got it to fire on WD40, so I know I have a fueling issue of some sort.

I took some pictures to document the starting point.

SteveThompson

I think I’m giving up on Stazworks. I sent them an email a few days ago. Then I called and left a message yesterday. *crickets* Those things, on top of everything I’ve read online, makes me think they are not a good choice. I’ll look for other options.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
A.) If you are OK with 22.5" super singles these are available from Europe

B.) @jaleel_da_sheik put new 20" rims (Stazworks) and rubber on his MB 1120 which has the same lug pattern as our Kodiaks. You can read his report HERE

C.) Buy 10-lug Alcoa rims, and have them redrilled to the 8x275mm pattern. This is possible and certain not a problem for the C4500/5500 (6500?) as our wheels are hub-centric, and weight <19,500 lbs, while 4 of these wheels would be rated at 50,000 lbs. I had contacted a couple of on-line wheel vendors that specialized in redrilling wheels. Both said they could handle this size rim but I did not have a warm fuzzy feeling as neither had ever done this size. The prior owner of my truck went the redrilled route but had them done by a local (to him) machine shop, and IMO they came out perfect. Over 40k of miles with zero issues and run smooth and true. The deal would be to find a machine shop capable and willing to do this, as even the machine shop he used, would not do this for anyone but him (they had a very long-standing relationship).

D.) Eastern Surplus has 20" military wheels with the proper 8x275 pattern. Be advised these are steel so very-very++ HEAVY. @Cowpig has had experience with these so a search of his posts will give you some insight. You can find them HERE

E.) Order a run of 8x275mm pattern Alcoa super singles (62 lbs) and they will make whatever you want. The bad news is the minimum order is 200 units (so you and 39 other operators?) They will not sell rims with undrilled centers/lug holes.

F.) There are Alcoas in 8x275 (22.5") in existence but are quite rare. The offset would be fine for the rear but is less than ideal for the front. PN 823400. If you call Alcoa they have the specs for that part number but will tell you they never made them. I have a couple so they must have made some?
click to enlarge
PN 823400.jpg

G.) I have heard tell of people swapping the hubs/axles to get the 10 lug pattern (but no direct knowledge). Of course if you can get the 'standard' 10 lug pattern than a world of 20" and 22.5" wheels are available.

BTW- a very nice truck! What is the interior height in the back?

Korey H

I used 1st Attack in Indiana for my c5500 singles. Jeff was great, generous with his time and delivered as promised.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteveThompson

You guys are awesome! This is exactly the info I need.

My truck is 2wd. I haven't found much information on those. I'm assuming it has less stock clearance for the wheels. Is there a recommended 20" tire that is smaller in diameter to keep things easier?

I read something a long time ago about someone making adapters for hubs so you could use 10 lug wheels. I wish I could find that again.

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
In regards to your generator, most diesel these days has a percentage of biodiesel in it. It tends to grow algae better than older diesel and will clog up fuel lines to the point they are impassable. Your best bet might be to pull the fuel tank and all the lines and clean them thoroughly (also check the filter).

SteveThompson

In regards to your generator, most diesel these days has a percentage of biodiesel in it. It tends to grow algae better than older diesel and will clog up fuel lines to the point they are impassable. Your best bet might be to pull the fuel tank and all the lines and clean them thoroughly (also check the filter).

Thanks. I actually made a little progress on the generator. I could get it to run slightly on wd40 and a dash of carb cleaner. It wouldn't stay running for long, though. I like your idea, but it is now leaking fuel and coolant, so it needs some attention all over.

SteveThompson

I used 1st Attack in Indiana for my c5500 singles. Jeff was great, generous with his time and delivered as promised.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I called 1st Attack. Jeff was out of the office today but the girl who answered was very pleasant. I'm excited about this option since they are only about 100 miles from me.

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
Invest in some of the oem interior switch components that vintage plastic does not age well and they get fragile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles