C5500 Mobile Command Family overlander

Korey H

38491515f111ea17cef7ede913c4b825.jpg

Bumper mostly fabbed up. Still to come front hitch and of course powder coat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Korey H

Did you have the tires balanced at all?
I’m hoping to mount mine next week since I have a few days off.
I have a pair of centramatics for the front. May get a back set as well and start there in term if balancing. Not sure I want to throw beads it the tires at this point.

Update on the tires. I didn’t like the randomness of the balance beads as such had them vacuumed out and tires road force balanced by my local semi shop. WAY better.

180out

agree 100% i really did not like the magic beads. i run Alcoa wheels and they make special hammer on weights just for them. 10K miles on and off road and have not lost one yet.

Korey H

How'd you get that tire up on the roof rack?

Initially with a come a long attached to my pole barn rafters. Now we’ve had a local shop fabricate an aluminum base plate through bolted into the habitat. This then allows a hoist to be inserted into the plate and be cranked up/ down.

Korey H

So we’ve finally left on our shake down trip. Intended to be Friday we got out Sunday eve. Promptly got stuck in an hour traffic jamb and camped all of two hours from home.

Night two however was slightly more of an adventure.

We pulled in to Flagler CO in white out conditions with swift sustained wind. I was only a bit prepared for temps (tank recirculating loop and tank heaters). Nonetheless was a restless night. Had our pump overheat and a line freeze a bit.

All in all no damage yet found. 18 degrees was not in the planning list.
38f4b39904da1b8823f16cab5982227d.jpg

Tomadoggy

Hope you have a great time. Moab is one of our favorite places. When you get a moment...could I get some wisdom on your camper frame, and specifically how you attached your external boxes? I am working on a build with my 2006 C5500 and am finally in the frame design stages. Did you attach to them to the truck frame, or to the camper frame?
1619445338438.png

Korey H

Hope you have a great time. Moab is one of our favorite places. When you get a moment...could I get some wisdom on your camper frame, and specifically how you attached your external boxes? I am working on a build with my 2006 C5500 and am finally in the frame design stages. Did you attach to them to the truck frame, or to the camper frame?
View attachment 657227

Hello. The boxes are through bolted into the habitat with SS bolts and big fender washers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles