C5500 (Kodiak) - Composite Expedition Build is Underway

Tomadoggy

Well as I am near a point in life where extended exploration can commence...It is time to take all that is in my head (and on my computer) and turn it into and adventure reality.

After looking at all the available chassis options I settled on a 2005 GMC Kodiak. Found a bit of a Unicorn as it is a quad cab 4X4 and has the long frame. Purchased at auction sight unseen from Ritchie Brothers in Florida, and drove it back to Colorado. Why this chassis? Some of my reasons below:

• Wanted a pre-DEF engine
  • The LLY Duramax is durable enough for me and parts/upgrades are plentiful
  • Wanted a quad cab for others that may join in the fun, and also to secure the mountain bikes inside
  • Generally like the look :)
Stay tuned, I intend to share the progress along the way, and of course ask questions and solicit wisdom from those willing to share.20200305_143513.jpg

Last edited:

Tomadoggy

Flew down to Orlando with my Son to pick up and after showing them proof of insurance and working through the local sales tax issue. I went down on a Friday thinking that if some minor repairs were needed... I would have a fighting chance to do some work and get a part or two.

Got a golf cart ride to the truck. Of course the batteries were low, and had to get a jump start. Being that this was a Florida work truck (and work it they did) the thing was filled with sand and the entire undercarriage had what looked like concrete sprayed on it from the caked on crud. Oh well purchased it low...fully expect investments.

Upon starting, terrible rattle from the bell housing. I had my suspicions that it was a cracked spline on the flywheel but with what I had at hand I could not inspect much less repair, so checked all the fluids (including diffs) all good and leave the lot with a bit of a smile and a bit of worry about the tranny noise. Head to the fuel station to check tire pressure and hit the road.

Well with stock tires and the 5:13 gearing, this is going to be a high RPM ride. But we battle the traffic and start the 1,900 mile drive home after a later start than planned. Make it to just outside Nashville for the night and really enjoy a cold beer with dinner. Up early the next morning, make it past Macon GA, then BAM loud noise going up a hill. Engine revving, but no drive argggg. Won't bore you with all the details but suffice it to say that after a tow to the only shop that could fit us in we are dead in the water. The shop assumes transmission without disassembly and gets one on order. Fast forward 4 days, the tranny was not needed but I am on the hook for a $5K rebuilt Allison. It was one flywheel to torque converter bolt that had sheared and was rattling around and finally wedged and sheared all the bolts out of the converter.

Drove the rest of the way home arriving at 2am, with only one 5 hour stop other than fueling. Managed a whopping 8mpg though :) but I was pushing pretty hard. Engine is running great. Good to be back homeNew tranny.png

Last edited:

Tomadoggy

Taking the old work bed/rack off...A bit of a chore to plasma cut through where they welded the rear of the bed directly to the frame. Also a bit sketchy lifting it off and driving out from underneath, but no injuries!! Some bad rust between the wrapped frame reinforcement L-beams as again, this truck spent it's life in Florida.
bed off.png

Tomadoggy

Progress is slow...Day job is demanding right now. I have most of the interior stripped out and nearly ready for Raptor lining. Since this was a Florida work truck the amount of sand in every nook and cranny was astounding! Without exaggeration, I vacuumed out >10 pounds of sand! Most of the frame is wire brushed and has been treated with Coroseal and painted. There was some bad rust between a frame stiffening L-channel so I cut those off and have new ones fabbed and ready to weld on. New stainless turbo up-pipes with heat wrap installed.

Attachments

• 20210516_112343.jpg
    20210516_112343.jpg
    715.4 KB · Views: 68
  • 20210516_112348.jpg
    20210516_112348.jpg
    778.6 KB · Views: 71
  • 20210516_112401.jpg
    20210516_112401.jpg
    721.1 KB · Views: 68
  • 20210611_162542.jpg
    20210611_162542.jpg
    830.1 KB · Views: 69
  • 20200422_172541.jpg
    20200422_172541.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 69
Last edited:

Tomadoggy

And I have my new custom MRAP wheels from Staz, and have Pirelli's mounted.

Attachments

• 20210918_151655.jpg
    20210918_151655.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 67
  • 20210918_151633.jpg
    20210918_151633.jpg
    615.6 KB · Views: 66

Tomadoggy

Also...Have about 20% of the camper automation built using Node Red for the user interface and a Raspberry Pi on the back end with SQL database for logging. A bunch of wireless light switches, cameras, climate sensors. Working on the undercarriage cameras (so I can see what I am about to hit or a hole I may drop into). The backend for the LifePo4 batteries is an Electrodacus SBMS0.

Attachments

• Node Red 1.png
    Node Red 1.png
    99.1 KB · Views: 54
  • Node Red 2.png
    Node Red 2.png
    134.5 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

cabnetguy

Hi,
I would like some more info on node red. For a complete noob to coding, how hard is it to learn and use? What equipment are you using for weather. Are you using the app that someone wrote for the sbms to get that info?

Last edited:

Tomadoggy

Hi,
I would like some more info on node red. For a complete noob to coding, how hard is it to learn and use? What equipment are you using for weather. Are you using the app that someone wrote for the sbms to get that info?
There are a lot of very informative videos available that will get you going quite easily. I used an old Pi-3 that I had laying around for the "server" very low power and dependable which is a necessity in any rig. I did not find it hard to use at all. You do NOT need to know how to program code as this is more of a block-drag-and-drop type of visual system that builds the code for you. The user interface is simply viewed through any browser window. Arduino everywhere for the inputs. Watch some videos, download the free software, and start with a simple project then build from there.

Tomadoggy

What are you doing for a habitation box?
Still a thought in progress. I had everything designed up prior to purchasing the truck, but now am in rework mode as where I had the entry door is directly over the rear tires and I want a pocket below the door for stow-away steps. I am designing in Fusion 360. I am very much leaning towards laminated foam walls and am drawn to Styromax in Australia for their quality and the fact that they will put channels inside the panels to run wires and add any necessary reinforcement. Actually when the time is here...thinking of soliciting others in the US that may want to purchase from them so that all could share in the container shipping costs. May be able to get 3+ kits into a container.

Attachments

• CPE-V0.3.png
    CPE-V0.3.png
    148.7 KB · Views: 58

rruff

Explorer
I am very much leaning towards laminated foam walls and am drawn to Styromax in Australia for their quality and the fact that they will put channels inside the panels to run wires and add any necessary reinforcement.

They use a weak styrofoam core, and their edges are just butted together and glued. Have you compared prices to Total Composites?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles