C5500 (Kodiak) - Composite Expedition Build is Underway

Tomadoggy

Indeed...I am leaning towards a center rear pivot with some kind of locking mechanism for keeping the box more stable during road drives. Lots of good examples out there....now all I need is a plasma cutter, that likely won't happen :)

rruff

Explorer
Indeed...I am leaning towards a center rear pivot with some kind of locking mechanism for keeping the box more stable during road drives. Lots of good examples out there....now all I need is a plasma cutter, that likely won't happen :)

Clamping it down might work well. Most people with a bigger rig seem to favor the spring loaded systems. That way you have a certain amount of preload keeping it stable until you get past a threshold of "crossed up". Mine will be a 3 point using poly cab mounts. I thought if I need more road stability, I might incorporate shock absorbers between the box and frame in the back. I found some old Corvette ones that are short and should have good low-speed damping.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
I have also seen the old videos/articles about some of his earliest wheels and the bolt failures. The ones I have are an entirely different design which simply uses a newly machined inner plate that uses the stock MRAP bolts to the rim. When mounting I did check all of these bolts and they were very tight...however message heard, I will certainly keep an eye on them.

Mine were two-piece rims and the 40 bolts were intended to hold the wheel together. First, they came loose, and were replaced. Then ten bolts snapped off at speed. Not a lot of fun driving with a blazing tire.

Hopefully, they are doing better now.

Tomadoggy

Mine were two-piece rims and the 40 bolts were intended to hold the wheel together. First, they came loose, and were replaced. Then ten bolts snapped off at speed. Not a lot of fun driving with a blazing tire.

Hopefully, they are doing better now.
Indeed, those were an entirely different design. These are modified MRAP rims with the standard 14 bolts.

Attachments

• 20210918_151655.jpg
    20210918_151655.jpg
    622.9 KB · Views: 54

javajoe79

Fabricator
Indeed, those were an entirely different design. These are modified MRAP rims with the standard 14 bolts.
Any more details on these? I am considering building my own from the same wheels. What was the cost per wheel and are you running inserts? Which tires?

Tomadoggy

Any more details on these? I am considering building my own from the same wheels. What was the cost per wheel and are you running inserts? Which tires?
No inserts yet as from my reading I will be able to run the Pirelli's quite low without them. If you are going to roll a bead it will very likely be the fronts. Easy enough to add them later if needed. The tires I went with (mainly due to a good deal) are the Perelli PS22's, 335/80/20. Staz made the wheels up for me in about 6 weeks, I would contact him for pricing. Prior to putting them on I am going to go through both axles and replace bearings/seals to lessen the chances of any issues during adventures.

javajoe79

Fabricator
No inserts yet as from my reading I will be able to run the Pirelli's quite low without them. If you are going to roll a bead it will very likely be the fronts. Easy enough to add them later if needed. The tires I went with (mainly due to a good deal) are the Perelli PS22's, 335/80/20. Staz made the wheels up for me in about 6 weeks, I would contact him for pricing. Prior to putting them on I am going to go through both axles and replace bearings/seals to lessen the chances of any issues during adventures.
You can't just tell me? I don't have all the info yet that they will ask for them to be able to quote them. Fudge the number some or pm me if necessary. I'm just trying to get an idea and their website is kinda vague about those wheels. Does the center bolt in with the two halves or is it welded?

Tomadoggy

You can't just tell me? I don't have all the info yet that they will ask for them to be able to quote them. Fudge the number some or pm me if necessary. I'm just trying to get an idea and their website is kinda vague about those wheels. Does the center bolt in with the two halves or is it welded?
I have owned a number of small businesses and just don't feel comfortable sharing prices. Staz is just a phone call away and a very responsive business owner! I had my quote from him while on the phone. The centers he machines and are bolted to the MRAP rims just like the military wheels. I took mine black powder coated and purchased 5 of them.

javajoe79

Fabricator
I have owned a number of small businesses and just don't feel comfortable sharing prices. Staz is just a phone call away and a very responsive business owner! I had my quote from him while on the phone. The centers he machines and are bolted to the MRAP rims just like the military wheels. I took mine black powder coated and purchased 5 of them.
I own and run a fab shop. I don’t understand not sharing. I’d like people knowing my prices. They’re eventually going to find out anyway but whatever. I’ll reach out. Thanks

Tomadoggy

Very slow progress, but have finally removed the partial frame reinforcements that were badly rusted out and fabricated new plates. Got them mounted up yesterday and now just waiting for new leaf spring pivot bolts and bump stops. Next is to remove the cab rear window and replace with a metal insert so I can cut out the pass-through. Then on to cab raptor lining.

Attachments

• frame reinforcements.jpg
    frame reinforcements.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 47
  • 20220625_151459.jpg
    20220625_151459.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 48
Tomadoggy,

This is a really interesting build thread. Thanks for bringing us along. If you didn’t see it already,there is a DIY F550 build thread in process that includes: 1) a CF layup for the custom cab over box; and 2) has a custom three point box mount, the rear being a swivel mount on one massive bearing. Might be of interest to you as your build proceeds.…

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94