C4500 Kodiak - Grizzly

maxbergi

Hi All,

First of all kudos goes to the original owner who put a ton of hard work into getting the rig to where it is and being super helpful.

We drove the rig from Tacoma to SLC without any real issues and named it Grizzly the Kodiak. (instagram @grizzly.overland)

This was a campsite detouring via Yellowstone on our way home
1598583460008.png

Thought I start this thread with updates and to get some help and suggestions from you all

Installed new Rigid headlights:
1598583706766.png

Installed an Edge Insight CTS3
Now getting the correct MPH with those 41" tires (waiting for Edge to update on include mpg calculation)
1598585077984.png

No pictures, but I wired up magnets that were installed to keep 4 large drawers shut. OWSOO Electric Magnetic Lock,60KG 132lbs Holding Force They were already installed, but needed to be perfectly aligned and are pretty finicky, either they hold nothing or the full 132lbs force. I think we got them to work the trick was to leave the counter parts loose and add some o-rings so they can align themselves when the magnets are on.
We also have 4 smaller drawers, going to switch those to KV8400RV slides that hopefully keeps those shut when traveling.

Planning on some small modifications:
Entry ladder

Currently the rear entry is accessible via a step ladder, our dog manages to go up it, but can't go down.
1598581078152.png

I was thinking of a a scissor step ladder, but if mounted like the truck campers mount them it would awkwardly hang from the rear platform. Also since platform can be lowered and raised with two winches, I don't want anything hanging off it.
1598583289943.png

Ideally I would install the ladder on a hinge and flip it over sideways 180deg. That way the platform becomes the side rail and when not in use it just stores upside down on the platform.

1598581915705.png
Napkin design :unsure:
1598583583468.png

is that a bad idea? The hinge would need to be pretty heavy duty and I'd just bolt it to a rectangular aluminum tubing and then bolt the ladder mount to that.
Any other ideas?

Winterize
Planning on installing a 20gal aux water tank into this insulated compartment
1598583776701.png

Unfortunately 2 fresh water lines also run underneath the box to the other side, those lines are for the kitchen sink:
1598583909942.png

Options
1. Add 2 valves in the heated compartment, so I can shut off these two lines and blow them out before winter and not use the sink, with the layout we can use the shower to fill up the sink for washing up.
The shower and toilet lines run inside the box already.
2. Try and heat wrap and sprayfoam these (and probably always fight them freezing)
3. Reroute them through the box, would need to see if there is enough space between the flooring

For simplicity I'll probably go with Option 1 and maybe reroute them down the road.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited:

java

Expedition Leader
Nice rig!

I'd run the water lines inside IMO. Mine freeze even being inside right on the floor. Luckily the heat blows right on it and unfrezes (pex is great!).

I have a folding style step. It's a Brophy, o think it would hold your platform out a ways. About 16"closed all up.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Brewdiak

kodiak conversionator
Oh that’s OSO’s rig he took all through S America. Nice purchase! I’m selling a set of the same wheels. I wish I had gone with the continental tires on my rig.
I’ll be trying the edge for my speedo too glad you like it

Last edited:

maxbergi

Nice rig!

I'd run the water lines inside IMO. Mine freeze even being inside right on the floor. Luckily the heat blows right on it and unfrezes (pex is great!).

I have a folding style step. It's a Brophy, o think it would hold your platform out a ways. About 16"closed all up.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Where do u store the steps when not in use?
And yes running the water lines inside makes sense, but is more of a project now since the interior is complete.

Oh that’s OSO’s rig he took all through S America. Nice purchase! I’m selling a set of the same wheels. I wish I had gone with the continental tires on my rig.
I’ll be trying the edge for my speedo too glad you like it

Yes oso has been super helpful with everything and the rig is truly tested.
What new wheels are u going with?

Brewdiak

kodiak conversionator
I went with stazworks because I thought my vibes were the heavy steel wheels... but I’m not sure that’s what caused the problems (still building mine and no miles on the new wheels ). There’s another member here who found out our GY g275’s may be egg shaped... which would explain my problems!

Brewdiak

kodiak conversionator
Something like this might help with the water lines

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Some type of hand railing for the steps could prevent injuries, especially if you camp in the winter. For work when climbing around on equipment the rule is always three points of contact.

Ducstrom

I think you'd end up hating the stairs mounted sideways like that. That last step up and first step down would be awkward.
I'd try to find a way to mount them so it's just straight up and onto the deck.

java

Expedition Leader
Where do u store the steps when not in use?
And yes running the water lines inside makes sense, but is more of a project now since the interior is complete.

Yes oso has been super helpful with everything and the rig is truly tested.
What new wheels are u going with?

I store the steps in the tool box directly in front of my door. They BARELY fit in there. But it works well.

Brewdiak

kodiak conversionator
I agree with ducstrom if you orient the steps sideways, but why couldn’t you orient them to flip from the top and then extend straight back? This would also give more length for you to use a heavy duty piano style hinge (?)

maxbergi

Thanks for all the comments.
After doing more research on the scissor steps I decided against going that route and gave the little giant ladder a try. I removed the fold out handle and rollers, so far this ladder has been great and its super stable, our dog can get in and out easily now. Maybe in future i reconsider changing to scissor steps, but I'd like to see if our dog can handle them.

IMG_3040.jpg
Installed a weboost on the kodiak and getting some minor things figured out like extending the brake lines, with the air suspension fully raised there is too much tension.
We camped at 10500 foot and tried out the planar 44d heater, pretty impressed with the output and no issues operating at that elevation.

Apart from that we have been mainly doing trips with out 4runner, we did the white rim trail and trails in Ouray/Telluride like black bear pass over the past couple of weekends.
IMG_3006.jpg

I was planning on flat towing the 4runner, but disconnecting the drive shaft every time (its an sr5 with electronic transfer case) seems like a hassle, might have to trade for a rubicon.

rlrenz

Explorer
Years ago, I had a shelter in a military 2 1/2 ton truck. I had a set of aluminum steps that hooked onto the tailgate, and hung on the shelter when everything was buttoned up. I added a removable aluminum railing, and it all worked fine. The whole thing probably weighed 10 pounds or so.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Years ago, I had a shelter in a military 2 1/2 ton truck. I had a set of aluminum steps that hooked onto the tailgate, and hung on the shelter when everything was buttoned up. I added a removable aluminum railing, and it all worked fine. The whole thing probably weighed 10 pounds or so.
I used those on my truck (5-step version), very lightweight and I used the supplied handrail. For a Dog-O-matic, you would need to put carpet/rubber, etc on the steps as they would not be very happy with the traction of the aluminum steps. I think your current Little Giant steps probably works just as well and has the benefit of being self-supporting so they can be used to access other places you need a little more height. I will say after watching my friend take a huge fall from his scissor steps, I am a true believer in handrails regards of step design.

My style of steps, (but not my photos)
Handle in the stowed position
steps1.jpg

Step surfaces

steps2.jpg

Last edited:

rlrenz

Explorer
My steps were virtually identical, and I really agree that no one, be they man or beast, would willingly climb them barefoot. I also have a folding step similar to what you're now using -- the biggest challenge was folding them for the first time.

My current build, a Medic Master on a Freightliner chassis, will wind up with a Zico powered step from a fire engine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94