C4500 Kodiak Ambulance

cjken

Explorer
Just incase anyone is looking. I’m sure it will sell for less than that yellow resale one posted here.

1a79bd9c2310c1af84d36457810aaaeb.jpg

Reactions: mog

rrexerr

The novelty of these is great. I learned the hard way, Kodiak Platforms are more difficult to work with than a Ford F450/550. Front axle is a high pinion reverse cut gearing so NO re-gearing available to compensate for larger tires. Lug pattern 8-275 has limited options. International has some great 4x4 chassis floating around to attach a custom box to https://www.ebay.com/itm/384646236814?hash=item598eb3ca8e:g:8WUAAOSw8xphn7AS , plus you get the added benefits of air brakes. Your can't go wrong with a Ford F-series 10 lug also, just my opinion

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
The novelty of these is great. I learned the hard way, Kodiak Platforms are more difficult to work with than a Ford F450/550. Front axle is a high pinion reverse cut gearing so NO re-gearing available to compensate for larger tires. Lug pattern 8-275 has limited options.
They come stock with 5.13s (and rear lockers). I run 385/65R-22.5 (42"x15") and with the electronic overdrive (Allison 1000) selected 'off', it is 'normal' around town and once at freeway speeds, selected on, it is 'super overdrive'. And yes, 8x275mm lug pattern is very hard to find super single wheels. The tilting (and short/sloped) hood is a big plus to me, with almost cabover engine access and great forward visibility. But certainly, an F450/550 is the easier and the more mainstream route.

cjken

Explorer
Rrexrr
All true, that said I really do like my Kodiak.
The 5.13’s really do work well with the 41’s most people run on them.
There is a couple who built a really cool freight liner 4x4, but I think it is geared somewhere in the 4’s….. unless you go crazy big on tires the 5.13 work. I actually think it was over geared for the factory tire size. Mine runs about 1900 rpm at 65.
The turning radius of mine is amazing. It out turns the e350 4x4 that I had previously.
I guess as they get older finding some of the oddball parts could be problematic so your advice is warranted, but it could be a sweet rig for someone.

baggio95

Looks like there's some determined bidders. That's a $5k jump from yesterday. Miles are a bit lower than the last 2 at the CA auction but hours are definitely a bit higher.

Craig_C

Well it jumped $5k again. If you look at the time stamps must have reached the high bidder for a minute. Don’t forget the 12.5% buyers premium. Right now if you bid it would be just over $41k. I was hopeful yesterday because this is only 4 hours from me, but not even asking today.
F645C4E3-CE20-4AEE-B154-1FF16FD39AE7.png

baggio95

That's interesting the red Kodiak shows up again now. They sold that back in fall of 2020. I believe it was a Fed retired ambulance from Southern VA.

Craig_C

1645811193057.png

In case anyone is interested, they have had it for sale for about a week now at Pilip Ambulance. That was an expensive 120 mile drive, oil change and two new glow plugs!
Makes me sick for a number of reasons:
1st is I should have bought it, but my wife would want me to sell it.
2nd- I wonder what the mark up is on other ambulances.
3rd- I should have just bought it and then told my wife.

Everything was already good! I get it was a risk but still.
1645811532735.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior